Author Topic: Selling loot that is not gear.  (Read 548 times)

Negative Entropy

• Bait
    • View Profile
Selling loot that is not gear.
« on: August 21, 2018, 01:56:33 AM »
My takers have picked up valuable stuff along the way and intend to sell it.
Medication, pay data, a holiday home deed, some financial records, scientific papers, fencing.

None of this stuff is gear per se and has no set value.
Other than spending a work/life action to find a buyer how do you sell what the carrion economy gives up?
Whats a reasonable value to give to this stuff and how would you determine it if it's not a proper score but a single haul?

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
Re: Selling loot that is not gear.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 07:01:22 PM »
Other than spending a work/life action to find a buyer how do you sell what the carrion economy gives up?
Whats a reasonable value to give to this stuff and how would you determine it if it's not a proper score but a single haul?

there is a section that talks about whole-sellers, if the takers dont want to take the time to sell each piece individually (for time constraints as you mention) then the option is clear to bundle it all up into a single pack and make contact with a whole-seller and move on. whole-sellers dont haggle, but they offer fair prices that they will turn a profit on by taking the time to sell the pieces one at a time.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Doc Butcher

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:13:48 AM »
roll equilibrium per haul and sell via networking roll... and if it reasonably can have story consequences... go for it.  Archivists upset info got sold to recession collector, revenge.  DHQS classified, leverage to get them to take an unpleasant or extra deadly job, etc

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 05:05:25 PM »
roll equilibrium per haul and sell via networking roll...

the problem with that is the networking roll, I dont have my books with me as I am currently at work but the OP's group want to unload the supplies without using their work/life actions to make individual sales on the packs of haul. about the only ways i can see to do it would be to cart it over en-mass to a wholesale depo and get a below market return OR as i consider it if your group wanted they could 'donate' the supplies probono for a useful Rep-spot they could potentially leverage in future jobs. "yea you know us were X, were the guys who dropped off that load of Y for the good of the community, perhaps you could see it in your heart to help us help you." type situation.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Negative Entropy

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 09:15:44 PM »
So I've come up with a way.
If you firesale it, like at the end of a job by going to a wholesaler or waving it about in the market and take the first offer you get a black for it. It's purely supply value.
If you spend a work/life action to make a network or research to find someone who actually wants it you can make a red and a black, red being demand.
Or if it's a large or special item they can sell it as an investment and gamble some bounty.

They've done this to sell a hot DHQS laptop and a pile of GMO research papers.
They used investment to sell a client's holiday home they got as a gift.

Laughing Penguin

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 09:00:43 PM »
roll equilibrium per haul and sell via networking roll...

the problem with that is the networking roll, I dont have my books with me as I am currently at work but the OP's group want to unload the supplies without using their work/life actions to make individual sales on the packs of haul.

Isn't that pretty much the theme of the game though? TANSTAAFL, man. You can spend all day in the real world collecting scrap metal for extra cash, but at some point you need to take time out of your day to haul it to the scrap yard to actually sell it. Even selling in bulk i'd say it's reasonable to have to spend a work/life action to unload gear, *especially* if it's all in a big lot they've been hoarding - someone has to set up the flea market. I think it's both fair and in the full spirit of the game to think that if they want full value for their goods they should expect to have to put some work in to get it.

That said, the earlier suggestion might be a good compromise. Simple black, maybe even a black/2 if they just want a quick turnaround without making any rolls or spending actions on it, proper networking check if they want to get decent prices or sell in bulk. You can dump it easy and quick, or you can work for top dollar. It's all part of the hustle.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 10:27:20 PM »
Isn't that pretty much the theme of the game though? TANSTAAFL, man. You can spend all day in the real world collecting scrap metal for extra cash, but at some point you need to take time out of your day to haul it to the scrap yard to actually sell it. Even selling in bulk i'd say it's reasonable to have to spend a work/life action to unload gear, *especially* if it's all in a big lot they've been hoarding - someone has to set up the flea market. I think it's both fair and in the full spirit of the game to think that if they want full value for their goods they should expect to have to put some work in to get it.

It sounded like the OP's crew came into possession of a large amount of 'stuff' and were wanting to get rid of it quickly without splitting it all piecemeal and selling it piece by piece over an entire campaign  ;). wich is why i made the suggestions of the wholesaler who wouldn't require a check to find, everyone knows rusty-Bobs junk emporium will buy x-y-z for dirt cheap but they also know he dont ask no questions about it nether.  :D. that being said another way if they were just looking to get rid of the stuff but still benefit they have the option of Giving it away and using that to create a rep-spot that they could use in later negotiations...obviously depends on what the items are but the idea stil has merit if the group cares more about befitting rather then spending X number of sessions squeezing every bounty they can out of a hodgepodge of haul.

Negative Entropy

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 05:16:58 AM »
I was getting worried their JOLS was just a big garage sale. They seem to shove anything of remote value into their backpacks, but have not had a way of offloading it.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 05:05:54 PM »
I was getting worried their JOLS was just a big garage sale.

Heh, that actualy sounds like something i might try. horde and amass so much 'junk' that one could feasable retire from it. the trick would be to get enough to justify a Jols  ;D