Author Topic: Defiance film  (Read 5361 times)

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
Defiance film
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:45:35 PM »
Anyone catch a copy of that new load of crap film about the Crash called 'Defiance'?  We got a copy of it in Big Boy for the 4th, and what a load of garbage.  First off, Mark Wahlberg is far too old to play a single, young dad in his 20s.  I was really surprised by the whole CG Bill Pullman they used for the president.  It didn't look half bad, but I think that crosses some lines.

Casualties look like shit, and apparently latent is the new 'black best friend' trope.

Ugh.
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

One Bounty. Two Crypto

Silver

• Taker
  • Jason S
    • View Profile
Re: Defiance film
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:00:33 PM »
Anyone catch a copy of that new load of crap film about the Crash called 'Defiance'?  We got a copy of it in Big Boy for the 4th, and what a load of garbage.  First off, Mark Wahlberg is far too old to play a single, young dad in his 20s.  I was really surprised by the whole CG Bill Pullman they used for the president.  It didn't look half bad, but I think that crosses some lines.

Casualties look like shit, and apparently latent is the new 'black best friend' trope.

Ugh.

You got a copy?!

I will fucking pay you for that shit, I'm not kidding. I've been waiting to see this hot mess for over a year but I can't get a goddamn stream out here in Cali.
Looking for Takers in the Central Valley? Call BLACKLIGHT for good rates and professional work.
Need a name? Click Here for a running list of Takers!

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:17:35 PM »
No shit?  I guess we're all starved for some stress relief, alright.  I'll PM you.
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

One Bounty. Two Crypto

The Passerby

• Taker
  • We all walk past, I can only hope I notice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 12:18:18 AM »
I am more concerned with the fact they're even bothering to try to make those production values high. Like seriously. It's technically competent, but it is so obvious someone in a censorship office took a hachet into it. It's like two or three different films in one.

Plus why bother vilifying Asia? Like...would think they'd take a harder push on the Moths
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain

Pixie

• Bait
  • GM, Player, Writer, Editor, Librarian
    • View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 02:19:05 AM »
Plus why bother vilifying Asia? Like...would think they'd take a harder push on the Moths

View from the Recession (haven't seen the movie, can't stomach it, just talking about the reactions I'm seeing around me): They're already vilifying the Moths pretty constantly. They keep it up in a movie, they're not getting the stress relief they're hoping for from a movie. Plus, vilifying Asia allows them to tap into patriotism and 'rah, America!' without the possibility of people thinking about the rest of America that got abandoned...
Former Taker. Emergency Medical Advice at reasonable rates

Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Silver

• Taker
  • Jason S
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 02:31:50 AM »
oh my g o d

it's the extended release

Blue if you were here I would fucking kiss you. (Except not)
Looking for Takers in the Central Valley? Call BLACKLIGHT for good rates and professional work.

Neckbeard

• Bait
  • 232/0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 07:17:41 AM »
Pure garbage. Wahlberg phoned it in. Benedict Cumberbatch as a Chinese operative was just plain old-school offensive (surely at least one Asian-American actor made it to the recession?). And the whole third act was just a shit show. I did not however see the twist coming, you know with the kid being immune all along. Kind of creepy how they turned even that into propaganda though.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:22:40 AM by Neckbeard »

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 10:20:01 AM »
View from the Recession (haven't seen the movie, can't stomach it, just talking about the reactions I'm seeing around me): They're already vilifying the Moths pretty constantly. They keep it up in a movie, they're not getting the stress relief they're hoping for from a movie. Plus, vilifying Asia allows them to tap into patriotism and 'rah, America!' without the possibility of people thinking about the rest of America that got abandoned...

Gotta villianize to lionize as they say.    Happy 4th you all.  *To the tune of the Star Spangled Banner*

Oh Homo Sacer we be, by the DHQS
In the enclaves we've saved
from the hoards of cas-ual-ties.
Whose sheet rook and parked cars
block the perilous fight.
o'er the fences we guard,
against the madmen now raiding.
With the blight you take care, And the food drops from air
Gave proof to fuck the DHQS for leaving me here

One Bounty. Two Crypto

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 10:14:09 PM »
On the Asian thing...it could be we're gearing up for some kinda intervention in the Kumatatok (or however it's spelled). Gotta pregame that propaganda. Conscription is a tried and true way of using up "surplus population," i.e. the folks out in Free Parking. Damn, in a year I could be glad my son is missing his arm.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Silver

• Taker
  • Jason S
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »
On the Asian thing...it could be we're gearing up for some kinda intervention in the Kumatatok (or however it's spelled). Gotta pregame that propaganda. Conscription is a tried and true way of using up "surplus population," i.e. the folks out in Free Parking. Damn, in a year I could be glad my son is missing his arm.

If the Recession is thinking about sticking their dicks into that clusterfuck, I'll eat my arm. They don't have the infrastructure or manpower out here to get into a shooting war halfway across the goddamn earth. The only major DHQS base I know of out here is an artificial island off the coast of LA; it's an enclave that got settled a year back. Gutshot's got family there.

Referee

• Bait
  • UFit User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »
Anyone ranting about bad propaganda movies should check out underground producer Gillman's latest project: Before and After. To give you an indication of how serious an 'After' we're talking about here: there are Taker handles in the credits.

Bet your ass that Crash-related trigger warnings apply. Hell, even if you feel you've scabbed over since then, Gillman's brutal documentary is probably gonna peel that jade right off. But it's worth it for seeing the rare flower that is a honest take on examining a specific case of the Crash. Gillman reaches far beyond their limited production values and if you're not left feeling hollowed out in time for the end, then you've successfully gauged how much humanity you've got left - very little.

The end is amazing. I dearly want to talk about it, but spoiling it would be doing you all a disservice, so I'm zipping for now. :-X
Still Lost. Still Achieving. Owner of the Fit Pit.
Semi-retired. Available for urban job consultations or fitness advice.
Inquire at www.enclaveorgchart.ubiq/Achieve/Gettersburg/FitPit

Notable Cheevos:
Achiever
Casualty Clearer
City Stalker
High Scorer
Mercy Street Irregular
Vector Wrangler

Flatcap

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 08:59:33 PM »
Bet your ass that Crash-related trigger warnings apply. Hell, even if you feel you've scabbed over since then, Gillman's brutal documentary is probably gonna peel that jade right off. But it's worth it for seeing the rare flower that is a honest take on examining a specific case of the Crash. Gillman reaches far beyond their limited production values and if you're not left feeling hollowed out in time for the end, then you've successfully gauged how much humanity you've got left - very little.

I think I heard about this one - it was all about what happened to an attempt to make an enclave out of a high school, right?
The Amazing Bionic Latent

Referee

• Bait
  • UFit User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 07:50:18 PM »

I think I heard about this one - it was all about what happened to an attempt to make an enclave out of a high school, right?

The action does revolve around one of those school shooter proof schools that cropped up, reinforced doors, bulletproof glass, armed guards, etc. It would probably have been a good site for an Enclave, but... well. Just watch it, Flatcap.
Still Lost. Still Achieving. Owner of the Fit Pit.
Semi-retired. Available for urban job consultations or fitness advice.
Inquire at www.enclaveorgchart.ubiq/Achieve/Gettersburg/FitPit

Notable Cheevos:
Achiever
Casualty Clearer
City Stalker
High Scorer
Mercy Street Irregular
Vector Wrangler

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
oh my g o d

it's the extended release

Blue if you were here I would fucking kiss you. (Except not)

I never got to thank you for the bounty.  Thank god and you.  I can eat for a while.  Gods thank you.

One Bounty. Two Crypto

The Passerby

• Taker
  • We all walk past, I can only hope I notice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 03:40:42 AM »
...are we hipsters now? Or whatever it is? Like, sure it is a propaganda piece and all, but I can't help but think like we're our dads complaining about those Transformers movies when we were kids and all that.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain