Author Topic: Should I take Soma?  (Read 3031 times)

Squeak

• Bait
    • View Profile
Should I take Soma?
« on: July 16, 2017, 01:54:02 AM »
Does it help? I just want to feel normal again. Like I used to. I just want to be happy.

The Passerby

• Taker
  • We all walk past, I can only hope I notice.
    • View Profile
Re: Should I take Soma?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:45:24 AM »
Well, Soma is a heavy duty cocktail, it's a combination of stimulants like Methylphenidate and MDMA and super SSRIs, and probably some new stuff that they didn't cover in Psych-Pharmacology. If they got neuroleptics in there, might cause you problems with tardive dyskinesia. If you want a sense of high end euphoria, and a sense of well-being, well...yeah, Soma will probably give you that feeling. Though if you mean actual happiness, that's not an easy answer.

Though if you do decide to take Soma, please realize that normal side effects are amplified, and that if you become dependent on it, missing out may cause a spike in suicidal ideation and physical symptoms that make Taking extra dangerous, such as blurred vision and dizziness.

Actually going to school for psychology IRL, so apologies if that seemed too dry.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain

Referee

• Bait
  • UFit User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »
That's a tough question. It's possible, like a lot of people, that you may need Soma to cope, but first you should consider the practicalities of dependency and the possible alternatives you could try.

Disclaimer: I an not a medical professional. Take my claims with the grain of salt a layman's perspective deserves.

Your first big hurdle is availability. Soma is super addictive, if you take it regularly for comfort you will get addicted and you will need a steady supply to not have to deal with the consequences of withdrawal. Now, it's a well-established fact that Soma is mass produced (heck, even the Loss has its own manufacturers, Fort Remedy being a prime example), and is fairly cheap and plentiful even out here in the Loss. That truth, however, depends entirely on where you live and what kind of price-gouging bastard you'll have to deal with to get it. If Soma is not something that is part of your local supply chain, or the supplier has a bad reputation, and it's way expensive to get a drone drop, do not depend on Soma for your everyday relief. You'll get gouged for your every last Bounty, or worse.

Your second hurdle is your health. Soma comes with an impressive array of potential side effects, some short term, some long term, but essentially it boils down to this: if you're reasonably healthy and fit and haven't suffered from head trauma, Soma - in sane dosages - won't kill you or KO you. If your body can't handle Soma do not depend on it.

Third hurdle. Fake Soma or Soma substitutes. Soma is "safe" in the sense that you know what you're getting. Plenty of cheaper substitutes exist on the market though, with far worse or different side effects and highs, which can be deadly in so many ways. I know for a fact that some gets sold as repackaged Soma and some gets sold as "like Soma, but better" (which is a useful warning sign). Sometimes the bad gets mixed with the good, and your supplier may not even be aware of it. Soma is in demand, so there will always be scammers and cheats trying to take advantage of that. Be on the lookout for bad Soma and check your supply for sugar pills or Krokodils.

All of the above does not mean you do not need or shouldn't take Soma, but it may make looking for alternatives somewhat more attractive. I can offer two pieces of advice there.

First, improve your physical fitness. Jog, lift, build the temple that is your body. You will be able to do more for yourself and your community, you'll experience a sense of achievement at having improved yourself and you'll feel less helpless in the face of hardship. It's good for you and it's good for the people around you.

Secondly, get a pet. It's a well-established psychological fact that having a pet can alleviate depression. Pets are cheaper than Soma, some can feed themselves and some can be useful both within the Enclave and out in the Loss. In bang for your bounty it's my opinion that a pet can make about as much difference as Soma in the long run, if not more, to a far more reasonable price.

For short term relief, Soma might still do you one better, but you'd still risk addiction. IMO, it's better to invest your time and Bounty in yourself and a new friend than forever more be forced to pay for the privilege of feeling good. Leave Soma for mental emergencies.
Still Lost. Still Achieving. Owner of the Fit Pit.
Semi-retired. Available for urban job consultations or fitness advice.
Inquire at www.enclaveorgchart.ubiq/Achieve/Gettersburg/FitPit

Notable Cheevos:
Achiever
Casualty Clearer
City Stalker
High Scorer
Mercy Street Irregular
Vector Wrangler

Squeak

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 04:13:38 PM »
Honestly I would rather just smoke weed, but I'm really scared to be to high around the casualties. Maybe if I didn't live so close to the fucking fence I could just smoke and pretend that all this shit doesn't bother me, but even then I feel like I wouldn't enjoy the feeling of having to rely on other people in case something happens.

See, that's my main problem with drugs right now. I would just start smoking weed, but I'm really afraid I'm going to catch a bite the moment I get high. Plus, Weed is a minor hallucinogen, and I'm not sure if that's a good combination with the Loss.

So I feel like my options are either A. Some sort of exposure therapy. Like Maybe I'll just get really stoned one day and force myself to go sit by the fence for awhile. B. Find someone I trust with my life to sort of babysit me while I smoke...or C, take a drug that doesn't impair me that much. Like Soma.

I mean, I know I shouldn't take Soma. I know the shit is bad for you. I just really miss getting high.

Referee

• Bait
  • UFit User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »
Well, it's good to know I wasted that effortpost on a stoner.

Christ, sorry man, I get that you haven't gotten a fix in forever, but yours sounds like a luxury concern going up against healthy paranoia. Listen to the fear. Doing stupid shit while high near the fence is worth concern, so stay the hell away from A. If you can't give up the high, at least go for drugs that won't potentially destroy your Enclave.

Frankly what worries me more here is the state of your fence. You don't have a secondary fence and air gap between them? No Fencemen to tackle your ass to the ground if you try any funny business near it?
Still Lost. Still Achieving. Owner of the Fit Pit.
Semi-retired. Available for urban job consultations or fitness advice.
Inquire at www.enclaveorgchart.ubiq/Achieve/Gettersburg/FitPit

Notable Cheevos:
Achiever
Casualty Clearer
City Stalker
High Scorer
Mercy Street Irregular
Vector Wrangler

Silver

• Taker
  • Jason S
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 12:10:55 AM »
Honestly I would rather just smoke weed, but I'm really scared to be to high around the casualties. Maybe if I didn't live so close to the fucking fence I could just smoke and pretend that all this shit doesn't bother me, but even then I feel like I wouldn't enjoy the feeling of having to rely on other people in case something happens.

See, that's my main problem with drugs right now. I would just start smoking weed, but I'm really afraid I'm going to catch a bite the moment I get high. Plus, Weed is a minor hallucinogen, and I'm not sure if that's a good combination with the Loss.

So I feel like my options are either A. Some sort of exposure therapy. Like Maybe I'll just get really stoned one day and force myself to go sit by the fence for awhile. B. Find someone I trust with my life to sort of babysit me while I smoke...or C, take a drug that doesn't impair me that much. Like Soma.

I mean, I know I shouldn't take Soma. I know the shit is bad for you. I just really miss getting high.

So don't get blasted when you're outside the fence. It's not fuckin rocket surgery.

Look, I get it, I like me some grass too. Picked up some quality stuff during my stay in Trabajo a while back and I still have a little bit left. But I save that shit for the end of the day when I'm not out on a job or meeting with a client. It's a victory lap, not a sip of water. If you're having trouble getting through the day you need to find something less inhibiting to keep you buoyed.
Looking for Takers in the Central Valley? Call BLACKLIGHT for good rates and professional work.
Need a name? Click Here for a running list of Takers!

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 10:44:21 AM »
I haven't had sugar in five years and you guys still manage to score pot?  Seriously, guys...
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

One Bounty. Two Crypto

Silver

• Taker
  • Jason S
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »
I haven't had sugar in five years and you guys still manage to score pot?  Seriously, guys...

Sorry, can't hear you from this high up.

In all seriousness, it all depends on location location location. You need an enclave large enough to grow crops, but not large enough to bother growing a pittance of food over a wealth of weed or poppy. And they need to have had access to the stuff before the Crash.

Out east I used to get my grass from a place called Last Stand, it's a walled baseball stadium on a riverbank. Too small to grow enough crops to export, but big enough to grow a profit of weed. Place is an anarcho-capitalist shithole, what with all the narcos and smugglers, but those growers don't fuck around.
Looking for Takers in the Central Valley? Call BLACKLIGHT for good rates and professional work.
Need a name? Click Here for a running list of Takers!

Neckbeard

• Bait
  • 232/0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 06:19:46 PM »
you guys still manage to score pot?

Up at Malmstrom AFB they had a whole bunch of growers that were obsessed with cultivating the stuff. Even took to calling themselves numbers (in different languages) after the various strains they'd invented (said something about how fancy names like Blue Pineapple Dream cheapened the art). So there was an Ocho and a San-ju Ichi (31) and a Four, etc... But anyway, the enclave there let them grow all the weed they wanted as long as they also grew plenty of food. They turned just about all the open ground and roof space in the enclave, that wasn't a street or a solar panel, into garden beds. And in exchange they got one of the big hangers and a couple of outbuildings to grow their weed in.

They're even exporting the stuff now. If you need anything, just look up San-ju Ichi and tell him I sent you--I'm sure he'll drone something nice out to you, for a price.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:22:35 PM by Neckbeard »

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 09:22:33 PM »
wow, some enclaves have all the luck.  I could seriously use some leisure bounty, can barely eat as it is.
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

One Bounty. Two Crypto

DeusExMachina275

• Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 12:10:14 AM »
Soma is the thing you take after the job. If you are taking it on the job your risking a lot taking that poison, minimize the dose on the outside of the wall.
Information is my game, God of the Machine is the name.

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 12:51:08 AM »
then the + to self control is meaningless!  take judicial use of it, especially before Mr JOLS!

One Bounty. Two Crypto

The Passerby

• Taker
  • We all walk past, I can only hope I notice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 03:39:36 AM »
Actually it's more that it can cause dyskinesia and acute confusional states, or mental fogginess which is a step lower. Basically having your brain swimming, your muscles twitching, and all that. Like technically it's only 1 in 5 when it comes to reduced functioning, so theoretically you can function. Technically it isn't poison is what I am saying, it's a bit of a pedantic difference. Also marijuana doesn't work like that, usually, but that's another discussion.

In any case, theoretically you could take it on the job, and not be rendered ineffectual...but don't expect to be withstanding any intense stuff. Whiplash, flashbangs, strobe lights, blunt injuries to the head, anything that can knock your brain around will just be all the more dangerous. Plus the usual, do not operate heavy machinery warning.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain

DeusExMachina275

• Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 04:06:45 AM »
Its dangerous to use at all, don't use it. Had a friend get some of that, and he was sick for weeks. He stayed in the enclave that long by sorting parts. No one cares if you puke your brains out if you sort the nuts and bolts.
Information is my game, God of the Machine is the name.

Reverend Green

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 12:14:27 PM »
If you wish to feel normal I would suggest joining a group like the knights for the betterment of mankind, we're a good old fasion community who care for each other.