Author Topic: LALA's and other NPC ideas  (Read 470 times)

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
LALA's and other NPC ideas
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:54:44 PM »
Johnny Apple C

The takers hear the sound of whistling coming from around the side of a building, accompanied by a few clanging sounds and then the sound of digging. When they investigate, they see a man standing over two dead C's. He is digging up the earth in patches near each one with the shovel he just used to dispatch them. As they watch, he pulls seeds from a pouch at his side, drops them in the overturned earth, and covers them before walking off, whistling the entire time.

If they approach the man, they find that he is a Believer and that Reclamation is what he holds to. His particular brand of belief has led him to want there to be provision to reclaim when T Minus never happens, and in his cracked state has grasped on to the tall tale of his childhood. He is friendly, but has nothing to trade, and is eager to continue his quest. 

Takers roll self-control (detatchment) to let the man continue on alone, surely to his death; or (stress) to be reminded that reclamation most likely will never come. As they go on their way they see other C's that have been dispatched and seeds planted beside each corpse.   

Dadalos

• Moth
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
Re: LALA's and other NPC ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
sweet idea. XD ive got to use this in my next run. Course now im interested in subtly working in other tall tale figures. thanks for sparking a new vein of ideas XD.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

RinserofWinds

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »
The famed archer, “Paris” is a Papineau who uses Blight-tipped arrows. Maybe she was actually named Paris pre-Crash, or maybe she just loves Greek mythology. (Paris was the one who shot Achilles in the infamous heel.) She is an extremely thin Latent, with track marks on her arms and eyes to make your Roach character blink.

In game-mechanic terms, she has both the Roach and Latent tough spots, as well as the Trained advantage. (She's survived this long for a reason.)

Solo, sneaky operator. She hikes up to DHQS camps in the Loss, and stalks them over time. She'll hit folks on the walls, if she knows there's no drone or air support nearby. Generally, though, she goes for patrols. Always shoots to wound, no need to make it harder for your eventual Vector, eh? Once she starts hearing Apologies, she'll flee and check back later.

Utterly enormous price on her head, but she's a damn good shot and some folks see her as an anti-DHQS hero. Comes into a single enclave in the area occasionally, to trade for supplies. (Which Enclave it is varies based on your setting. Likely extremist Rebels or Chosen.)

Check on Detachment to even see her, because of how horrific it is to deliberately infect fellow humans. She is not Meek, though. This is just the worst thing she can practically do to the ones she holds responsible for nuking her home.

If she meets players in the Loss, she will be polite, but very distant and with an eerily flat affect. She will offer stolen DHQS military supplies in exchange for Stim Sauce, arrows, or food. 

Varlaax

• Ubiq Admin.
  • UK based Taker. Available for Loss EU jobs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 10:17:03 PM »
Could The Princess from Walking Dead suit this?
Bless our UK CCTV Culture, it saved us all. That and NHS body tagging. Follows the Cult of Warren Ellis. UK based Taker. Hit me up for EU Loss jobs.

Fisticuffs

• Bait
  • Face so full of fives you can't tell he's latent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
Mr. C's Convenience Store

the group comes along reclaimed store (shack, warehouse, strip mall, boarded up drive-thru) and there is a man inside wearing an inviting smile and admirably clean business attire.
He is latent, very very latent.

Introduces himself as Mr. C and this is his convenience store. he can work as a mid-session trader for anyone with the bounty to spare.

If they want to use him as a trader they have to make networking check crit success, he has what they are looking for at the designated discount, a success he has it in stock, failure he is sorry that he can't help them "you know how it is finding things out here right?"
but on a critical failure amazingly he does have what they are looking for and he is willing to give them the discount on it. he does go back and check on his stock each time they ask.

before they pay he will offer them a chance to have it for free if they are willing to help out in his shop, if not they can pay and go on their way. if they agree he will ask them to go back in the stock room and his "employees" will set them up with some work, "it's for a good cause remember small businesses and all".

When they go into the back they find the stockroom filled with casualties. if they decide to fight the casualties they will also have to face Mr. C as well.
They can also decide to pay, leave and walk away knowing that . in the future, they do know of someone who will buy and sell items to them and maybe even give them jobs because they were so polite.

Those Crit Failure items, by the way, are rigged to fail when used, or even worse be blight trapped.

TL;DR
Mr. C is a Meek LALA that owns a shop and feeds his customers to his Casualty employees when they don't pay, are rude, or he feels like it. On Crit failures, the "discount" items he sell's are rigged to fail or blight trapped. Otherwise, he is just an unsettling and friendly shop owner.

-Creating a significant subtraction one former US citizen at a time.
#Lost4Life #Latent&Proud

Varlaax

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 10:07:55 PM »
So Mr C was previously the store manager?
Bless our UK CCTV Culture, it saved us all. That and NHS body tagging. Follows the Cult of Warren Ellis. UK based Taker. Hit me up for EU Loss jobs.

Fisticuffs

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 04:53:12 PM »
So Mr C was previously the store manager?

Maybe? it really depends on how you want to roleplay it. There could be a new sign that says "Mr. C's Convenience store" or maybe that's what it happened to be from before the crash. Maybe there is no sign or an unrelated sign. It could be a former Sainsbury's or a Tesco where the only Letter left is "C" but he would call himself "C" for Casualty or maybe "M" for meek.
#Lost4Life #Latent&Proud

Varlaax

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 09:39:59 PM »
Mr CF.

Casualty Feeder

Dadalos

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »
Casualty Feeder

Shepherds... sometimes worse then the meek... though I think out of all the factions the archivists get to much of a pass, like their nihilistic view of our future and the obsession with preserving things can turn very dark very fast but you dont see that side of it very often, its just 'oh look at the Librarians collecting books, wonder if we can sell them this cookbook...'
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Fisticuffs

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 11:46:01 PM »
Casualty Feeder

... though I think out of all the factions the archivists get to much of a pass, like their nihilistic view of our future and the obsession with preserving things can turn very dark very fast but you dont see that side of it very often...

The best example of Nihilistic Archivists I think I have ever seen was in the Technical difficulties podcast episode "Red Markets - The Same Old Grind"  spoiling only the leg:
the group runs across a family of archivists, that are just throwing valuable items (valuable to takers, enclavists etc.) into the fire keeping them warm. the items were not knowledge and of no use to the Archivists (this aggavated a taker with the waste not want not spot). Another one of the Takers goes around the corner and finds the bodies of a couple of children. foresight revealed that they were the children of the archivists, they weren't infected. they just couldn't feed them all. so since they were all already dead... well yeah
#Lost4Life #Latent&Proud

Dadalos

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 12:22:28 AM »
yea, thats the example i thought about when i was describing that it could go dark quick. its a modification of one of the leg encounters strait from the book, though if memory serves is a whole other family that had holed up in a library for the night and had started burning the books for warmth, the archivists had found them and executed them for burning the books. then stripped them an tossed the bodys out back an  then used their stuff for fuel instead of more books. the rest of the encounter starts from there with them being polite to the takers unless someone reacts to them violently.

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 01:36:34 AM »
That leg ended with our riflemen head shotting two of the Archivists from out in the darkness and our melee guy (who had been conversing with them) running the last one through with a sword before initiative was even called. It got beautifully serious really fast.

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 03:19:11 AM »
That leg ended with our riflemen head shotting two of the Archivists from out in the darkness and our melee guy (who had been conversing with them) running the last one through with a sword before initiative was even called. It got beautifully serious really fast.

Good for you. I still regret that we didn't go back and shoot them in the TD game.  >:(

Speaking of freaky Archivists, we have an NPC Archivist in the 10k Lakes game that believes that the end of the world and "what comes next" are going to be showing up any day now. He's a believer in UFO visitations, and thinks that the aliens are just waiting around for the Blight to finish burning us out before they scoop up our knowledge. So instead of being nihilistic, he's very proactive about accumulating information. It makes him zealous in a very different manner. No time to waste!
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Dadalos

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 03:30:26 AM »
He's a believer in UFO visitations.

the truth is out there.

Fisticuffs

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 12:47:03 AM »
I want to believe
#Lost4Life #Latent&Proud