Author Topic: The long road campaign pitch  (Read 2310 times)

Teapot

• Bait
    • View Profile
The long road campaign pitch
« on: August 18, 2019, 05:16:28 AM »
So in the future I’ll try red Markets on my gaming group again. This time I’ll try to have more plot.

What I’ve come up with is a cross country game. Loosely inspired by The Legend of Mother Sarah, the takers were on a school trip to D.C. as students or school workers when the crash hit. In the time between they’ve been working odd jobs in the recession and sending bounty to an enclave in California where their (first) dependents are. They’ve been approached by someone who’s got a line on some kind of JOLS in Northern California. The patron can even get them a truck in the loss and guide them through some of the final job.

In the game, milestones are gone, replaced with travelstones, having to fill up the truck to drive to the next enclave. There would also be three non-job sessions. The first one being (the chapter from the novella) escaping the recession to the first enclave where the truck is waiting. And two travel hurdles, getting through the Sierra Nevada range, and ducking murder gangs somewhere on the Great Plains.

Mechanically each taker has one defendant from the migrant spot. Anyone who wants to be latent gets a free crit fail on an infection check and other spots might need a bit of tweaking but not much. I'll assume cults have infiltrated free parking and fenceman can be unchanged or renamed as goon, a roach earned their roachness getting there and surviving etc. The group gets a free truck with a full tank, still costs upkeep and fuel as normal.

With their traveling life, some jobs transporting open up as well. I’m thinking they have a starting job waiting in the first enclave. The idea here is to make kind of a cross between a travelogue, a wandering hero, and a race. To that end there'll be some pressure on them to get to the CA enclave before something bad happens to their families. Similarly they'd be able to visit all the big famous enclaves from the published stuff and other APs.

So how’s this for a pitch?

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
Re: The long road campaign pitch
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 04:30:52 PM »
I seriously love that idea! I have had problems with players only ever wanting to play "Lost for Life" characters, munchkin-ing their way around the enclave and surrounding Loss. (They just earned their second - Rep Spot for murdering a rival crew who were attempting an undercut as of last session.) I think the idea of making the milestones convienant plot threads that continue the story much more enticing. I may steal that for the current game since none of them are investing in retirement anyways.

They are very interested in continuing the plot of the story though, so this may be the kick in the pants my crew needs.

Fine, you don't want to retire a character? He needs to have some goal in life or else he will eventually die. One thing most players should understand is that there is always the happy ending, but that comes only with retirement.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 10:12:18 PM »
I love it! I've had similar ideas based on taking a river trip down the Missouri to get to the Recession. Keep us posted as you develop it!
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Teapot

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »
I have been working on this, the first thing is distance jobs, things the takers can take as side-gigs as they travel. These things are meant to pay out some bounty but only be doable on the travel sections of the game.

Delivery, someone has a package, it's big at 2 haul but if you don't ask questions and deliver it to somewhere further out west they'll pay you 2d10 bounty. If the pay is over 10 bounty however it's not a secret that you've got it and it's worth something.

The more advanced version is the returning package. It comes from either the DHQS or the Moths. Either way it's intended for Ubiq city or there abouts. It's a big box of fairly sophisticated computer parts, the kind you can't fab even with a fancy 3d printer. The parts are either really useful infrastructure replacements that the Moths need or really useful infrastructure replacements loaded with malware that the DHQS wants the Moths to use. Either way the takers are hired at each enclave to move it further along but won't be told what it is or where it's ultimately going until Trabajo. If it's legit, the DHQS will pick up their trail and start looking for them/putting up a bounty. If it's a trap the DHQS will make a show of looking for them and use it as an excuse to make trouble at enclaves after the takers leave.

Second is the relay stations. There are a few places where autonomous number stations are just sitting there sending out numbers to tell someone what to do. but a few of these have broken. Plus they're under observation so anyone who shows up to fix them gets made. Plus it's dangerous but requires some decent technical skills. So let's send independent contractors in and not pay for their healthcare. Each one is a leg or two out of the takers' way and pays 2d10 bounty. Each of the sites are placed out of casualty reach and set up to be protected from the elements. However they're just platforms and only one person can work on them, everyone else has to stay grounded. Fixing them is easy enough, just make an appropriate roll (profession or repair). It's noisy work though and the  rest of the crew can expect mobs wandering out of the trees or even bandits coming by to se what the fuss is. The problem comes when the Moths or DHQS makes the takers as agents and starts following them. Either org will try to get the takers to snitch on their boss (they can't it's done anonymously). Failing that they'll try to get the takers to install some kind of surveillance package. If they get caught betraying anyone it'll be a new enemy and -rep spot.

That's what I've got so far but I'd like one to be more "personal" to the takers. Some kind of job where they have to go across the Loss and kind of make a difference to people instead of organizations. Has anyone got some suggestions for this?