Author Topic: "Red Markets: Black Death" - project updates and idea input thread  (Read 3780 times)

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
Re: "Red Markets: Black Death" - project updates and idea input thread
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2018, 10:34:06 AM »
riot shields are in the book, forgot about that, that might be a good starting point at least.
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

theblazeuk

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2018, 05:43:47 PM »
Enjoyed the playtest session thoroughly. Thought the languages thing worked out really well and the combat was brutal with that one-hit mutilation. Would really like to see if you can make more of the whole using melee/unarmed to parry or divert blows rather than simply dodging. I really like the idea of it in the book but see little practical reason for it, unless your melee/unarmed skill is massively higher than your athletics (given both require rations to buy + boost, and you still have to knock off a charge on your weapon/armour if you do).

I'm not sure on a solution but it feels like doing this should allow you to maybe strike back immediately, or perhaps knockback, or deal the difference between b/r to the attacker.... I'm not sure.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2018, 06:24:10 PM »
riot shields are in the book, forgot about that, that might be a good starting point at least.

those were the shields I was referencing when i mentioned their dubious benefits in RM. I know that they look like a sound investment in specific situations but I have yet to hear anyone actually using them. At this point im sorely tempted to do a solo run with them just to see how they function. that being said running it in a more historical setting might prove even more benifits then in the standard campaign making something thats 'meh' shine as a must have item.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2018, 01:51:32 AM »
Enjoyed the playtest session thoroughly. Thought the languages thing worked out really well and the combat was brutal with that one-hit mutilation. Would really like to see if you can make more of the whole using melee/unarmed to parry or divert blows rather than simply dodging. I really like the idea of it in the book but see little practical reason for it, unless your melee/unarmed skill is massively higher than your athletics (given both require rations to buy + boost, and you still have to knock off a charge on your weapon/armour if you do).

I'm not sure on a solution but it feels like doing this should allow you to maybe strike back immediately, or perhaps knockback, or deal the difference between b/r to the attacker.... I'm not sure.

We could definitely get more complicated with parrying rules if it starts to seem more interesting. Our second playtest (medieval Meek ate the WORST Meek!) got a lot more into combat complexity. So far, it seems like the best combat strategy is to wear the heaviest armor you can afford, train up your weapon specializations, and wail away on your enemies with upgraded weapons. Which, you know, is pretty close to the correct feel for 14th century combat. :) But I would like to have more maneuvers/tactical choices to make during melee combat, to avoid the danger of falling into D&D-style "Roll to hit...roll to hit...roll to hit..." combat rounds.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2018, 11:44:54 PM »
I would like to have more maneuvers/tactical choices to make during melee combat, to avoid the danger of falling into D&D-style "Roll to hit...roll to hit...roll to hit..." combat rounds.

This is a common pitfall for any setting / system. my own game of RM kinda boiled down to 'we find a long hallway and funnel them into the afterlife using rifles / handguns (all silenced) and if they get to close we find another location to fall back to.' while not in of itself isnt very thrilling the market is well within their rights to ... liven things up XD. ive found that a good tactic is to have them find no trouble at all with this strategy, until they do. XD. try falling back and find a door blocked. clear a group with only a charge to spare and then another group of people come screaming past fleeing from one horror or another dragging the crew into their problems. ect ect. if things boil down to one monotonous thing then shake things up with something unexpected where that particular mechanic isn't the answer.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Freebird

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2018, 12:08:43 AM »
I would like to have more maneuvers/tactical choices to make during melee combat, to avoid the danger of falling into D&D-style "Roll to hit...roll to hit...roll to hit..." combat rounds.

This is a common pitfall for any setting / system. my own game of RM kinda boiled down to 'we find a long hallway and funnel them into the afterlife using rifles / handguns (all silenced) and if they get to close we find another location to fall back to.' while not in of itself isnt very thrilling the market is well within their rights to ... liven things up XD. ive found that a good tactic is to have them find no trouble at all with this strategy, until they do. XD. try falling back and find a door blocked. clear a group with only a charge to spare and then another group of people come screaming past fleeing from one horror or another dragging the crew into their problems. ect ect. if things boil down to one monotonous thing then shake things up with something unexpected where that particular mechanic isn't the answer.
True, and our combat situation was quite exciting and dynamic. I just want to make sure that my mechanical tweaks to the system help facilitate that feel, instead of accidentally inhibiting it.
Ex-Taker. Made it.

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2018, 10:52:12 PM »
I look forward to seeing this hack continue!
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

Freebird

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2018, 09:25:19 PM »
We've posted the second playtest session!
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/episodes/2018/9/12/red-markets-black-death-playtest-2

The Meek! Split infection rolls! Nude noblemen! Questions of episcopal succession! Theological controversies with very easy answers!
Ex-Taker. Made it.

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
I've already posted most of my thoughts on what the playtest needs, but I'll summarize here.

-Test out the shields.

-Remove Capped from Bows, replace with Charged.  Melee rounds don't need to be a mere second in RMBD because there's no gunfire, so it doesn't break verisimilitude, and it makes ranged combat a bit easier.

-Melee is going to happen more often in this game, and the rules probably should adapt for it. If you're up against two people in regular RM, you're kinda hosed. I propose that either all gear or some gear should be able to provide a parryable defense, that does not cost a twitch action. It could be based on the weapon spec skill already used. I think the shield usage might help mitigate this.

-Battle axes and zweihanders should gain Spray for melee targets, rename it Sweeping, and it'll be solid. Others could have Spread.  I'd say the Battle Axe has Spread since its a bit more built for it. I could see both items have Hampering also.

-*love* the leeches and the Bounty explanation.

-I'd like to see more retainer usage, in different ways.

-In the last playtest, the casualties met (during the noble encounter) were summarily removed without any fear of failure. I believe that in this playtest, that shouldn't be an option just yet. Besides, the players were not in a position of safety.  I know it may take a while to get through ten of them, but that's what the playtest is about in part.

-Love them Meek.

-Heavy armor seems like the order of the day, and I get why it is used, but I really could see it having the same trait as most regular RM armor, where Ration costs are doubled.  I don't know how upkeep is going, but heavy armor is so good right now.

-On a similar note, I could see heavy weapons costing two rations to use...certain weapons could be weighted properly to buy off Hungry

-Crossbows should have armor piercing as an option

Varlaaax

• Lost for Life
  • Beware The Frenchman in the EU Loss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2018, 04:12:43 PM »
Technical Difficulties podcast Red Markets Black Death playtests are so very good.

Loved the 2nd one.

Will love to hear the Mr JOLS equivalent in 1340s style.

Will you have Grendal alternatives for Casualties as suggested near the end of the AP?
Former Black Math.

Based in UK Recession and EU Loss.

Tell me, Have you seen the Yellow Sign?

The one that says Latents not allowed in Car Costa.

You know the old EU Coffee drive thru.

Costa Coffee.

Varlaaax

• Lost for Life
  • Beware The Frenchman in the EU Loss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »
Oh and the Meek encounter in the 2nd AP was truly horrifying.

Thank you. I hope the Black Smith character reaches retirement.
Former Black Math.

Costa Coffee.

Varlaax 2.00

• Bait
  • Thank you again Ministry of Kindness. Again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2018, 10:42:44 PM »
Side note, really enjoying Masadas Redoubt and looking forward to new Black Death APs from Technical Difficulties.

Thank you.
Reborn Black Numeracy.

Costa Coffee.

Freebird

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2018, 10:52:16 PM »
Side note, really enjoying Masadas Redoubt and looking forward to new Black Death APs from Technical Difficulties.

Thank you.

Thanks! Whenever I finally get around to writing the revised gear list, I'll come back to it!
Ex-Taker. Made it.