Author Topic: Former or Current US Soldiers + Civilians - The Whisper  (Read 1922 times)

Varlaax

Former or Current US Soldiers + Civilians - The Whisper
« on: January 04, 2018, 10:46:00 PM »
This is a question for those who were around in the US when they first heard the famous 'Whisper'.

Where were you and what did you feel when you learnt your government had abandoned you?

Us lot in the UK had 'Big Brother Wakes Up'. God bless the King for Wearable CCTV and Eye-C-U Drones from the Ministry of Time and Measurement.

The implanted Health Tracker chips from the NHS helped I bet.

You Americans never went for that with your StopLoss alternative heath care plans.

Then it sort of went to hell for a bit less than 576 hours later.

But we got past it with help from our European friends and private  security types geared to the nines with 9mms.

But 'The Whisper'. How did it affect you in the US and how did you respond?

Pick up the household gun?

And the other twenty you keep as a hobby and jump in the SUV?

I live in the UK. I assume Americans have many, many guns.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:32:39 PM by Varlaax »

Fisticuffs

• Taker
  • Face so full of fives you can't tell he's latent
    • View Profile
Re: Former or Current US Soldiers + Civilians - The Whisper
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 03:25:08 AM »

I live in the UK. I assume Americans have many, many guns.

Well that was a definite stereotype of the US. It was more relevant more back at the turn of the millennia. Where they sold in everything from firearm stores to superstores.

But before the crash most of us couldn’t afford Firearms, much less aggressive firearms. If you had guns in the US, it was because you really liked guns as more than just a means of defense AND you had disposable income.

And when I am paying for my health through Stoploss, Bribing the default educators to actually teach my children, and trying to put food on the table. The only real firearm I had was an old hunting rifle from my grandfather and enough spare ammunition for each member in my family to have a bullet.

But as for Gnat’s whisper, it was my daughter, she just walked into the room, an off brand Ubiq Tablet in her small hands. She had been playing with the calculator (only thing really we had with no servers) and just presenting the notification like she had dozens of times when I got work emails while they were playing on the tablet. She asked if it was work and if we had to go...
-Creating a significant subtraction one former US citizen at a time.
#Lost4Life #Latent&Proud

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:16:58 PM »
Where were you and what did you feel when you learnt your government had abandoned you?

was actually on a semi-annual fishing trip in the gulf when the fecal matter hit the fan as it were. to be honest the whisper wasnt much of a shock to me, I more or less saw things shaping up that way before the full fledged broadcast. years of logistical work corporate side kinda helped.
initial response for us was to stay where we were, we had fresh water and food for the time being and I carry a side arm as part of just normal day to day, but not any spare ammo so it made since to just let things take its course with our boat being a kinda of floating refuge.

after a while though even I had to admit that while not safe we couldn't stay on the boat forever, the trip inland was scary as hell and to be honest id rather not talk about the trip to our old home or to our current enclave. needles to say we made it more or less intact. and now are just trying to keep a quiet life.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 02:06:30 AM »
Well that was a definite stereotype of the US. It was more relevant more back at the turn of the millennia. Where they sold in everything from firearm stores to superstores.

But before the crash most of us couldn’t afford Firearms, much less aggressive firearms. If you had guns in the US, it was because you really liked guns as more than just a means of defense AND you had disposable income

Well, I ran a gun shop in the Ozarks, so I had a couple of guns at the time.  ;)

Where I was, it was pretty much just confirmation of what every hillbilly in the region already believed. The previous few years had already blurred the line between plain old resentful unemployed country folk, survivalists, militia movement types, and full-on hardcore Nazi-flag-waving assholes. I wish I had been better at telling the difference at the time.

To all of us, the whisper just meant that The Day Had Come At Last. It was mostly just a question of who was already best prepared and ready to roll with it. Unfortunately the answer to that turned out to be the Nazis.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 02:10:41 AM »
I was on my way home from the airport.

My company had just celebrated a record-breaking quarter; we had doubled profits and decreased leakage to a half-percent of what it had been by automating a number of manual processes and then training the people who'd done those manual jobs to do analytics. Yes, number-crunchy job; what do you expect from an accountant?

My coworkers and I decided to get to our families and bring them to the office, because the building was secured with keycard access and it had thick walls. Lily lived closest, and her brother was already loaded when we got there; canned food, bottles of water, camp stove. Walter's wife brought non-perishables, Edgar's roommate brought a stockpile of chocolate, Amanda had medicine that her hypochondriac mother stockpiled.

By the time we dropped off and made the run to my house, my family was dead. They'd all gotten together to throw me a surprise party, Mom and Dad even came up from their retirement home in Branson. I opened the front door in time to see my husband get his face bitten off by my eight-year-old niece, and let me tell you *that* memory is burned into my brain. The cake was still on the table, untouched in the middle of the carnage.

After I smashed my niece's skull with Cam's nine iron, I finished the dead off with the French chef knife he got me for our anniversary. Warranty was accurate; it *did* last a lifetime. My brother was the hardest, though; knife snapped halfway into the decapitation, so I had to finish with the cake knife from the table.

Cam died the second he hit the floor. He never got up, and I thank my lucky stars for that.

Ironically, I never fired a gun before the Crash. Cam was the outdoorsy one, the husband who liked to fish and tie his own flies, to trap wild game in snares and prepare it in all sorts of lavish Martha Stewart inspired dishes. Yet here I am, while he's dead these five years.

That cake fed us for the first three days. It was lemon with a raspberry filling inside and buttercreme frosting.

Cam never owned a gun, and I figured it would take too long to figure out how to work that damned crossbow. I got a pistol three years later, from some other poor sap who got his face chewed off.

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 05:04:46 AM »
Mom's specialty. Raspberry coulis recipe was Grandmama's, and Mom insisted on growing her own fruit for those cakes; real lemon, real raspberry; it'll be a while before that cake is even a thing.

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 02:33:58 AM »
Strawberries are easy to grow. I suggest those for hobby gardens and rooftop patches, actually.

The creme is harder. Gotta raise the cows, and that takes time that most of us just don't have.

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 06:02:28 PM »
uuggghhh this post got derailed with hunger pangs...
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

One Bounty. Two Crypto

Varlaaax

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 08:44:39 PM »
New Question: Where you part of the evacuation caravans or did you leave the US Recession after the Crash?

We had the Channel tunnel (luckily shut down due to squatters), boat evacuations and the fact I was a Uni Student in London. Lost my accommodation but kept my right to live in the UK.

And then London got a mini-crash and backup from many, many armed EU security forces who fled Europe respectively.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:48:35 PM by Varlaaax »

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 11:37:35 AM »
New Question: Where you part of the evacuation caravans or did you leave the US Recession after the Crash?

Neither.  We gathered in the firm's offices and fortified the building.  We barricaded the doors and windows, stockpiled food and water, and then we waited.  And waited.  And waited. 

Once we heard about the caravans, we tried to get working vehicles so we could join, but none of us were mechanics.  Two years later, we finally got our own caravan together and then attempted our own evacuation; almost everyone made it out.

The rest is history

Varlaaax

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 09:30:53 PM »
Did anyone make it out of Canada before the nukes or knew someone who did?

I'm trying to remember if it was pre or post Crash. The Whisper was during the Crash. We did wonder if Hunter/ the US was going to nuke Europe or us in the UK when we finally got to hear the news.

Thank goodness for job cuts and outsourced contract workers. The US citizens here heard from family first.

Our government was.. disinclined to share the information. Special relationship bollocks.

I think the crew up Canada way Freelance has some views. But the members keep changing. Or dying. Nay, team child soldier.

taxey

• Bait
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 02:50:36 AM »
i was on the bus to stillwater prison in minnesota. the crash was literal for us fo real. bus hit 6 dudes on the road and rolled over, we all scramd out and the 2 fastest of us got away from the shit. then i snatched a gat, got back to murderapolis and found my fam. they were dead and i had to put em down.

yea i know some canadans. they cool
10k taker repping freelance
keepin it 100
out 2 tax eryday
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »
Not sure if Kanuck, Hoser, and Moose were actual Canadians or if they just aped it well. Brothers, always said "sorry" if you bumped into them, kept trying to play hockey, wore flannel and caps with earflaps. Nicest bunch you'd ever meet, except for when they had those hockey sticks.

Handy with axes, and they made beer out of *anything.*

Hoser bought a farm in Kansas, Kanuck got a similar piece in Nebraska. Last I saw Moose, he was looking for one and killing every casualty he could find with that axe of his. Left before he got to the "Sorry" part, but he was kind enough to douse himself in kerosene and light match while Lumberjacking his way into Valhalla.

What's the best or worst you've ever seen a Taker cash out?

Varlaaax

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 09:35:27 PM »
Cash out? Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Clarify please Mauve.

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 09:53:56 PM »
Cash out? Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Clarify please Mauve.

Cash out, meaning forget what one is saving up for and opt to go out swinging. Moose cashed out.

And those "farms" have nothing to do with horticulture either. By "bought farms" I mean a piece of land 6 feet deep and 3 feet wide.