Author Topic: Where Were You When  (Read 9212 times)

Flatcap

• Bait
    • View Profile
Where Were You When
« on: June 27, 2017, 02:55:02 AM »
Well, it had to happen. Everybody has a war story, but everybody's sick of hearing everybody else's war story. So let's make it a bit more interesting.

Here's how Where Were You When works. You don't just vent. You're answering a question about the Crash, or life in the Loss, and then you shoot a question to the person below you.

Answer to the best of your ability. Obviously don't give away anything that's gonna get you killed, but let someone else answer instead of wasting everybody's time with a bullshit "I'll never tell ;)" non-answer.

Answer ONLY the last question that was asked. You preferred the question above? Tough, wait for it come back around.

Can't think of a question? Here's a list of staples for fallback:
  • Where were you when the Crash hit?
  • When was the last time you saw a Vector?
  • When was the last time you had a real beer?
  • Who taught you something that's kept you alive in the Loss?
  • Where do you think the Blight comes from?

And, to show willing, I'm going to bare my soul first, alright?

EDIT: Alright, seems some people are a bit slow on the uptake. I'll make it really really simple.
1. Answer the question of the last post.
2. Ask a question for the next poster.

This isn't hard, guys!

Where were you when the Crash hit?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:15:06 AM by Flatcap »
The Amazing Bionic Latent

Flatcap

• Bait
    • View Profile
Re: Where Were You When
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 03:03:58 AM »
Where were you when the Crash hit?

Day of the Crash - I mean, the day shit got REAL bad, the day the Vectors started pouring through the streets - I was hungover. Not a big surprise, I worked at a brewing company so I was around beer all day and around the sort of people whose idea of a good time was 90% of the time 'let's go drink beer'. I was thinking of phoning it off, but decided against it. I was basically the company brewmaster at this point, we had a lot on our plate and I couldn't throw a sickie without risking something spoiling. So I drag my arse out of bed, decide against shaving, hoof it down the brewery.

Didn't check the news but was listening to a music stream on the walk when a broad-spectrum emergency broadcast interrupts the feed. Something about an rabies outbreak - this was before we really figured out how fucked the Blight was, obviously - and warning people to keep the doors locked, stay safe. I make it to the brewery and one of the security guys, Larry, padlocks the gate once I'm in. Something about the emergency lockdown protocols. I was here, so I was staying here, long as it took. Lock-in in a brewery, there's worse places.

Lock-ins don't usually last two weeks. I stank, everyone stank. Good thing we were on the outskirts on the town, the big masses of the infected pouring out were going other places. But we got enough bad news. Hordes at the gate. We were eating the grains to survive, waiting for army, police, any bugger to come help. Gave up on that when we got a glimpse of the first bombing runs on the horizon. That's when we knew this was The End.

Cheery times, eh? Your turn.

What was your first Casualty/Vector kill?

Dr.Dee

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:10:46 AM »
My first kill was beating a vector to death with a microphone stand.  I was trapped at a radio station and a vector busted in.  We trapped it in a studio and tried to kill it through a window with makeshift melee weapons.  I got the killing blow.

What was the first theory you heard about what the Blight was?
“Looking at the past must only be a means of understanding more clearly what and who they are so that they can more wisely build the future.”
― Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 03:35:11 AM »
What was your first Casualty/Vector kill?

I always figured Douglas County Missouri was optimal SHTF territory, and obviously I was sitting on a gun shop so, you know, I'd be prepared.

I wasn't prepared for three guys to crash through the front window of my house at 1 AM and tear my dog to pieces. Somehow me, Christa, and Davion made it down to the basement, and fortunately I had a Mossberg 590A1 down there that I'd just finished modding with a magazine extension for a friend. Thank God for that, too, because I needed all nine shells for those motherfuckers.

Typical story after that, tried to call the cops but nobody answered. Eventually they quit twitching and I got my stomach settled enough to take a look at them.

They were three Trappist monks from the abbey, still in their robes.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 03:40:55 AM »
What was the first theory you heard about what the Blight was?

Well shit, you beat me to it. Sorry for the double-post then.

First theory was from my buddy Mark, the guy who first convinced me to join the DCA militia. He said the global bankers had activated their chemtrail agents.

"Global bankers." He didn't say "Jewish Global bankers," but I should of known. I should of told him to fuck off then, it would have saved my son an arm.

Where were you when you found out they'd blown the bridges into the Recession?
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Priceline

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 07:49:35 AM »
Where were you when you found out they'd blown the bridges into the Recession?

I-40 just outside Memphis waiting to cross the river.  I had the girls huddled  in the back of a stolen car, I remember how stupid I was, worried sick about getting arrested for auto theft when we reached the check points on the river bridge. I've lived most my life avoiding the law and there I was staring down the barrel of them or roid-raging maniacs screaming apologies as they tore off your face and ripped out your guts. And i was scared of getting thrown in a jail.

So there I was in the gridlock of the interstate when we saw the smoke rising on the horizon from the bridge. It didn't take long for the panicked people...and the others to sandwich us with nowhere to go.

I have never been so close to breaking totally. I covered myself and the girls in a blanket in the back seat, hoping to escape notice.

I don't remember the gun getting into my hand, but there it was and I was weighing the pros of putting bullets in my girls. The darkest hour of my life. 

We were saved by a redneck, never had I been so happy to see a jacked up truck flying the confederate flag. My toothless savior had a snow plow on the front of his truck and was pushing cars aside trying to break through to the river. He opened enough space for the car to get back out of the gridlock and so i ran it til the tank went empty.

What was the last real meal you ate? Something properly cooked and seasoned and not just canned meat suprise or stray dog stew.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:12:50 AM by Priceline »
Professional Hustler - Freelance Negotiator - Fulltime Taker

Trust me, I know a guy!

Overtime

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 10:50:14 AM »

What was the last real meal you ate? Something properly cooked and seasoned and not just canned meat suprise or stray dog stew.

Don't know if anyone'll believe me but... Last proper meal i ate was in the thick of a job. Last week. Still decompressing.

Been working for this old money type for a couple months now. We wer kansas based; i shit you not, this guy flew us to Fort Dodge Iowa to help clear out a couple buildings. Couple other taker groups there too. Places were schools. A library. No rhyme or reason to it other than lots of c's, far as we could tell. Weirdest thing is that he wants as many as possible taken 'alive.' we figure he's looking for family among them, or otherwise just don't feel right killing them. Can't say i questioned it much; happy to save ammo. Just had to stand around and bait them into traps.

And then he calls all the takers out to his castle. For supper. Wanted to thank us for our hard work. Motherfucker has an early 20th century estate that's been built, NEW, made to look old, by a fucking set designer, and we're invitied for supper.

We get there and sit down... i don't even know how to describe it. More food than i remember seeing in supermarkets. Maybe... three taker groups sharing it. Guy who owns the place starts talking about his dreams for what the place could be, and then butlers and waiters and shit arrive to serve the table drinks. And they're the goddamn casualties.

I'll never forget it. One of the other takers goes ballistic, draws a sidearm on the recession guy. He's standing there sweating, trying to explain that he's got some way of getting the c's to do free labour, taker's not listening. Rest of us just staring at this casualty who's standing there in a penguin suit. Not doing anything.

We left just before people started shooting. Figured the other takers there could figure that shit out. I'm still not convinced there wasn't something fucky in my gin.

Anyway; i guess my question is... when did you first start seriously considering taking? What pushed you into the job, i guess.

Priceline

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
Don't know if anyone'll believe me but...

You're right to question yourself. I call bullshit.

I call bullshit with a megaphone in the middle of downtown Kansas City.

May the fuckin' Cs eat me if you're not spouting bullshit from every orifice!

Trust me, I know a guy!

Reverend Green

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »
Off on a fishing trip on the west coast washington. Last vecor I saw was in my enclave, some latent fucked everything over for us and took pills,luckily we had enough munitions to see us through. But you can bet that we took care of that latent community after that.

LostinWonderland

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 11:12:32 PM »

And then he calls all the takers out to his castle. For supper. Wanted to thank us for our hard work. Motherfucker has an early 20th century estate that's been built, NEW, made to look old, by a fucking set designer, and we're invitied for supper.

Sounds like my uncle. He always said he'd build a castle someday,  though instead of bulters he would have filled it with beautiful maids. I wonder what happened to him? Anyways, on to the question...

Anyway; i guess my question is... when did you first start seriously considering taking? What pushed you into the job, i guess.

Hmmm...I guess I started taking because I had nothing better to do. I mean, granted it's a shitty world we live in but you can still get bored out of your mind. I don't remember the exact moment it happened, I'm pretty sure I was high at the time, but I do recall working on a boat collecting fish for my enclave when it struck me that there's this whole world out there that I've been missing for four years and since life is short enough already, I thought why not go out and explore? So the next day I found a taker group that was forming up and joined. A year later and here I am, still alive and happy as I can get. Granted, it's not the best reason to become a Taker and others probably have better ones but for me life's short enough so why not live a little before you die? Of course the extra Bounty to take care of those who depend on me and the extra materials for business doesn't hurt either.

So I guess I need to ask a question then. How about, what was the last Pre-Crash movie you saw?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:17:52 PM by LostinWonderland »
“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Flatcap

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 01:21:07 AM »
So I guess I need to ask a question then. How about, what was the last Pre-Crash movie you saw?

Would you believe me if I said it was a zombie movie?

It was 'Their Billion Hands', the first of that trilogy Naroth did a few years before it all went to shit. Not really an anthology, but different perspective on the end of the world. Starts with some ritual in a Slavic church, then it switches to an abused wife who lures her husband into biters.. Harsh stuff. Totally got it all wrong, though. I think if we weren't calling it the Romero Effect we'd be calling it the Naroth Effect.

We were doing a movie night. I had enough friends that did the 'so bad its good shit' but enough that didn't that we compromised on alternating 'good' and 'bad-good' movies. TBH was one of the good ones.

You know, I think I once saw someone piling up blu-rays of Naroth's films and burning them in the Loss. Like they were trying to erase anything that didn't have the right zombies in it. Which is most of the genre, obviously.

Okay, next question. What is one thing you've kept with you since before the Crash?

0perator

• Bait
  • Chris Hamann, Podcaster, Literary, full of Spite
    • View Profile
    • The Roleplaying Exchange
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 04:43:27 AM »
Good news on the Naroth front, he got what was coming to him. With the right price, I may even let people see.

What is one thing you've kept with you since before the Crash?

My mom gave me a set of combs before she died: beautiful, ornamental things that weren't really my style. She would say patriarchal nonsense like "a woman's beauty is in her hair" that just got under my skin. She went too soon, which I guess means she missed all the really fun stuff, but when shit hit the fan during the Crash, and I managed to get out, I took those dainty little shits with me. I can't afford to grow my hair long, but I can at least keep my mom's combs.

Ugh, enough of the sappy bullshit: When did you realize how deeply fucked you were? When did the bottom drop out of your own personal reality?[/b}
DOG LORD DOG LORD DOG LORD
roleplayingexchange.com

Bishop

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 05:30:51 AM »
When did you realize how deeply fucked you were? When did the bottom drop out of your own personal reality?[/b}

It was about 8 days after the crash when we realized how truly fucked we were. We had been to half a dozen ports up and down Puget Sound on our hijacked, half-functional (the solar kept the lights working, at least) ferry with similar results. Vectors everywhere. Nowhere to dock without getting swarmed. We had run out of fuel a couple of days before, and the ship's kitchens had been picked bare. Dead in the water, facing dehydration, and drifting out toward the sea. We had a lot of time to talk, and to think, for the first time since the Crash that day and we all thought we were going to die. I realized at least I wouldn't die shouting apologies while I tore another person apart and considered myself lucky to starve.

Lucky (most of) us, we survived to go on to truly be fucked by this shitshow we call reality.

I'm getting bitter, so here's my question: What happened when you met your first Latent?

Priceline

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »
I'm getting bitter, so here's my question: What happened when you met your first Latent?

I shot her. A lot. With a shotgun. 

It made a horrific mess.

I don't think she understood what she really looked like. She startled me as I was digging through a convenience store in the middle of nowhere between Wichita and Olathe Kansas. I thought she was a vector, until she became one and apologized for spooking me as she vaulted off the top of a shelf to try to eat me.

Q: One thing you couldn't live without before the crash and one thing, now, after the crash?

Trust me, I know a guy!

Pixie

• Bait
  • GM, Player, Writer, Editor, Librarian
    • View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 01:50:29 AM »
Q: One thing you couldn't live without before the crash and one thing, now, after the crash?

Don't laugh, but coffee. Look, I was (am) that type-A ass  but I was double majoring in biochem/biology as a pre-med student and working EMT shifts for the resume padding when the Crash hit. You don't stay in the top 10% of your year with a class load like that without mainlining caffeine. Coffee was just the vehicle of choice.

Now? Sight-lines on exits. I'm out but still, every room I walk into, I'm scoping out the path to an exit, figuring out what I'd throw behind me to buy myself enough time to run. Worst part is that I'm still planning on residency in emergency rooms...

Anyway, enough with the self-pity and PTSD, what was the first new skill you learned to stay alive after the Crash?
Former Taker. Emergency Medical Advice at reasonable rates

Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads