Author Topic: Where Were You When  (Read 9210 times)

Silver

• Taker
  • Jason S
    • View Profile
Re: Where Were You When
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 04:57:34 AM »
Question up, where do you go back to? Not like where you rest your head, but...when you get that urge, to go see a place from before, what it looks like now. Where do you go?
I feel the need to go where I was when it happened really. To go back home and see your old life, where it went, and how I lost it. To see what looters thought was valuable, to see if someone is living in there. To grab some things I would love to have again, like pictures, or, just a coat I got as a gift but didn't care about at the time. Small things, but I know going back will make me lose what I have gained, what I have worked to hard to achieve. The past is behind me, and it's behind all of us. If we don't look forward, then we don't see the man with the gun aimed at your head.

If you could have one thing from before the crash, what would it be, and why?

God, I fucking miss pumpkin spice lattes.

Not being ironic, I would literally kill for one of those. I can still taste it and just the thought of it is almost enough to trigger a whole bunch of sense memories from when I was in college. The smell before it starts raining in fall, leaves crunching as I'm walking across campus, warming up in the lecture hall and trying not to doze off...

If that makes me a basic bitch, fuck you.

Are you planning on retiring to the Recession or do you have something else in mind?
Looking for Takers in the Central Valley? Call BLACKLIGHT for good rates and professional work.
Need a name? Click Here for a running list of Takers!

The Passerby

• Taker
  • We all walk past, I can only hope I notice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 05:11:59 AM »
Are you planning on retiring to the Recession or do you have something else in mind?

Got to say, Recession is definitely where it's at. Doesn't matter if you can live like a King, lording over some Enclave with a five digit body count, sooner or later the East will come back West. Maybe we won't live to see it, hell maybe our kids' kids won't live to see it, but it's going to happen. Sooner or later the refugee problem with stabilize, Stewards are going to get their marching orders, and the Moths and DC will duke it out...and DC will win. Like, only way they loose is if someone decides to scorch the earth and make a Crash 2.0. And no one but the Meek want that.

Hell, we're still dependent on the Recession. Even when we're not. It's only because of DHQS black ops teams that no fool decides to monkey around with an automated Nuclear Plant. Why those Silo doors ain't been touched by crazies...they did what they did, but they're still doing. It ain't a blank cheque for the fucked up shit they do, like Immune Farming, or nuking the Canadians, or leaving us out here to rot, but we still need a safe place to get new made goods from.

Fuck, I know some Takers that got kids that still need insulin and epi-pens, you think we can kitbash that shit out here?

No, when the day comes to cash in and cash out, it's the Recession for me...can only hope that I can carve a piece for myself.

In any case, my turn. In tactical shooting, you got your first line gear, the stuff that's always on you, and then you got everything on top of that. So my question is, what's your preferred operating loadout? You run light and fast, with little to no overhead? Or you one of those folks like me who's got have all bases covered even if it cuts into the bottom line?
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain

Neckbeard

• Bait
  • 232/0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 06:49:02 AM »
So my question is, what's your preferred operating loadout?

My sword, extra rations, flash light, and a testing kit so that I know when it's time for retirement.

Who taught you something you needed to know to become the taker you are today?

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2017, 03:21:40 AM »
So my question is, what's your preferred operating loadout?

My sword, extra rations, flash light, and a testing kit so that I know when it's time for retirement.

Who taught you something you needed to know to become the taker you are today?

My wife taught me that you have to be decent to people no matter the circumstances. My "friend" LeMay taught me that sometimes people who don't believe they have to be decent have to be killed.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Referee

• Bait
  • UFit User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2017, 12:53:41 PM »
My old job taught me to be attentive and to step in when needed.

What's your retirement dream job?
Still Lost. Still Achieving. Owner of the Fit Pit.
Semi-retired. Available for urban job consultations or fitness advice.
Inquire at www.enclaveorgchart.ubiq/Achieve/Gettersburg/FitPit

Notable Cheevos:
Achiever
Casualty Clearer
City Stalker
High Scorer
Mercy Street Irregular
Vector Wrangler

The Passerby

• Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 10:06:42 AM »

I want to have passive income, so land owner. Maybe I get to use my degree, or set up something for insurance.

My turn, when you spend B on recreational power, what are you powering? Video games? Food stuff? Jacuzzi?
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain

Freebird

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2017, 07:43:50 PM »

I want to have passive income, so land owner. Maybe I get to use my degree, or set up something for insurance.

My turn, when you spend B on recreational power, what are you powering? Video games? Food stuff? Jacuzzi?

Beer fridge, baby.

Sorry I forgot to post a question last time.
What's the worst piece of Taker advice you've ever taken?
Ex-Taker. Made it.

The Passerby

• Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »

Spend big, be big, make big.

It's a couple years in, went from working with what's left of various Posses to Taking. Proto-Takers really. It's back before the term got big, and the culture formed. Back then, we were just handling things piecemeal. Sometimes it is getting supplies out, moving stuff, going after things. Playing like Rule of Law was still a thing, and that velcro patch that said Deputy still meant something. Then Lifelines started getting big, Casual-Dee started his stuff, and well, I'm living out of a flat tire van on a camping mattress surrounded by nothing but my guns and some old luggage.

Taking was suppose to be the new hip thing, the thing that got you on the map, people wanted brands. People wanted new rap stars combined with cowboy heroes and fantasy adventurers. Got a lot of people dead in the early days, when any young blood thug wannabe thought he could strap a gun to his hip and go out past the fence...where he there in met other young blood thug wannabes that thought maybe a diss was worth a bullet.

To tell the truth, figured I would give it a shot, marketing and reality TV. Project an image of a product, a lifestyle, figured it would be like a sociological display. Tactical-chic and paramilitary offerings. Didn't work out that way, too many hair triggers, and not enough buy in to the idea of "The Game". For those of you who remember The Wire. Sure, if you do something bad enough to get rep hits, you might get yourself red flagged and given a green light by everyone in large, but it became unsustainable. Fell flat on my god damn face, and wound up in like two gun fights that I could have avoided. Was lucky enough that I know what the Sunk Cost Fallacy was...and gas masks are super uncomfortable, even if you unscrew the filters and get a lens fan thus negating the purpose of a gas mask.

In any case, you can't build a brand if you are a brand of one and your name isn't Kanye. So I dialed it back, and spent like half a year paying off various dues. I am lucky enough I was small fry enough and there were better targets for memes. Was bad. So yeah, being a professional and being normative has netted me more jobs than those weirdos that try to be cool. Like neo-cowboys are all well and good, especially if they know how to ride, but still...for every one actual cowboy there's like two or three that are going to be dragged down by their dusters and eaten.

So right, another question, what's the most insane action movie thing you ever done? You drive a car off a ramp? Parkour a gap between rooftops? Sparta kick a C down a hole? I heard rumors someone is actually paying for first person footage of that last one.

Hmm...so just to check, writing bigger posts here is not bothersome, right?

DiploRaptor

• Bait
  • Head Host of 'The Random Cast'
    • View Profile
    • Diplomacy With a Raptor... Its a Lets Play Channel
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2017, 07:10:00 PM »
So right, another question, what's the most insane action movie thing you ever done? You drive a car off a ramp? Parkour a gap between rooftops? Sparta kick a C down a hole? I heard rumors someone is actually paying for first person footage of that last one.

To answer that did one of those personally, as for the most action movie a group of Takers I coordinate had the brilliant idea of using the LMG one of them hard grabbed too attract a stampede off a group of people trapped in a building. They action movie style lead this horde of somewhere between 50 and 100 through the woods in a chase scene of parkour and more by the end of it they are all exhausted but made it and saved those people.
When you get a Bruce Campbell avatar choice you use it.
I really wanted to include a quote instead I just decided to talk about that desire. Mainly cause I couldn't think of a quote that would annoy Chris.

Referee

• Bait
  • UFit User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2017, 03:21:22 PM »

Can verify Sparta rumor - there's a handful of Bounty for it from an anonymous Recession rich boy. Just take care you don't get taken advantage of in the process. I'd be cautious of anyone specifying a location or specific casualty, since that could be a honey trap or a closure job someone wants done on the cheap. Video up front is also a no-no - give them a part clip, then the rest on payment.

And since people keep forgetting to put in a new question, I'll field the next one too.

We've all been there, but what's the closest you've gotten to getting the Blight? Hot or cold, it's all the same.

Long posts are fine by me.
Still Lost. Still Achieving. Owner of the Fit Pit.
Semi-retired. Available for urban job consultations or fitness advice.
Inquire at www.enclaveorgchart.ubiq/Achieve/Gettersburg/FitPit

Notable Cheevos:
Achiever
Casualty Clearer
City Stalker
High Scorer
Mercy Street Irregular
Vector Wrangler

The Passerby

• Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 01:14:29 AM »
We've all been there, but what's the closest you've gotten to getting the Blight? Hot or cold, it's all the same.

I am thinking you're looking for more than the usual CUC(Casualty Under Car) interaction with someone's ankle, or playing ring around the rosie with Dead Weather.

Whelp, biggest close call for me was when I was straight up landed on a half a dozen Cs. Was working a clearance job at an old auto machine shop and stepped onto some plywood covering a mechanics' ditch to move a tool cabinet.

Big mistake, wooded was already rotting and I landed on what was left of the mechanics. Lucky for me, I and the tool cabinet mostly landed on their backs. Was not the greatest thing in my life... T_T

Other than that, it's the usual OSHA stuff. Cs under cars, Cs in closets, a few times in the early days with Vectors. It's the life.

Next question, what's your local Nostalgia Bubble like?

I came up with Nostalgia Bubble in the Facebook group. Basically it means what your Enclave's version of Themepark Starbucks from the Brutalists is like. The place you go to play pretend for a little while.

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »
We've got a little joint over here near bridge that used to be one of those sports bar type places. A few entrepreneurial types got together a year or so back and outfitted the place with solar, managed to salvage a handful of professional game recordings from pre crash days, and figured out they could attempt to cook some things readily accessible. Fish fried in old oil with cattail fries would have sounded awful back in the old days, but you get a chance to watch a game and have some fish and chips and the worries melt off for a bit. Seen the games a dozen times, but doesn't get old, and only costs a bounty for them to set up shop for you. One problem we have is that the NB is outside the fence, and sometimes you end up dealing with C's or worse going to an fro. I'm still not sure if it's worth it when that happens.

what's your lucky charm that you always carrry with you on jobs?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:37:45 PM by Owl »

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »
what's your lucky charm that you always carry with you on jobs?

Its been a while since I Last went over the walls, we did good on a run on the job before.  anyway I wouldn't call it a luck charm per-say but I feel good about carrying it so i guess it counts. Its a leather bound journal. Found it out on my first run as a rookie way-back. far as I can tell its had 3 other owners before me. each of them takers and the only things in it is: the first few pages are some believer scripture, then from then on each has filled in their names and a short bio telling who they are. Ive put mine in there and carry it with me and for some reason when I think im going to bite it its some how comforting to know that when the next person picks up this 'memento mori' I wont be completely forgotten.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Uriel

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2017, 03:04:40 AM »
what's your lucky charm that you always carry with you on jobs?

Its been a while since I Last went over the walls, we did good on a run on the job before.  anyway I wouldn't call it a luck charm per-say but I feel good about carrying it so i guess it counts. Its a leather bound journal. Found it out on my first run as a rookie way-back. far as I can tell its had 3 other owners before me. each of them takers and the only things in it is: the first few pages are some believer scripture, then from then on each has filled in their names and a short bio telling who they are. Ive put mine in there and carry it with me and for some reason when I think im going to bite it its some how comforting to know that when the next person picks up this 'memento mori' I wont be completely forgotten.

No question? Eh, guess I'll just go with a repeat on the luck charm.

I've been carrying it for years. Before the crash I had a buddy of mine lived out near Springfield invest a bunch of money into copper. Made it his retirement plan. He gave us all a 99.99% pure 1oz coin. Couldn't tell you why I held onto it, but now it's always with me. When I need to make a 50/50 decision I give it a flip. Hasn't led me wrong yet.

What's your local brew of "choice"?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? S'pose I will if nobody else feels up to it.

Freebird

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »
Huh, been a while on this thread. Let's keep it going.

Well, since I've made retirement over here in Recessionland, you'd think I'd be all over the good old fashioned stuff. But you'd be surprised. All the brands are the same of course -- Jack Daniels, Maker's Mark, etc. -- but the stuff in the bottles is completely different. I guess it stands to reason, all the supply chains got wrecked to shit, drone farming's never gonna get the corn prices back down to where they were, whatever. I'm sure the real high rollers still get their Scotch and cognac and everything, but us normal folks got to put up with rotgut with fancy labels.

Fact is, there was better hooch out there in Missouri than there is here. They kept it small scale. We had a brew pub there in Four Seasons, and they distilled down a little whiskey on the side, reusing barrels and throwing in extra oak chunks to round out the flavor. That's the best stuff I remember ever drinking, and I don't think it's just nostalgia talking. I wonder if they're still operating out there...
Ex-Taker. Made it.