Author Topic: Where Were You When  (Read 9211 times)

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
Re: Where Were You When
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »
Let's brighten things up with a little positivity. What's the tastiest meal you've had since the Crash?

Ill preface this by saying that i hate fish, love fishing and like the way that they look in aquariums...but as far as eating them? no, never have and probably never will enjoy fish. having said that... we had a large caravan roll through oh 2 years ago? something like that. well they were light on bounty and in big need of service and supply. so we worked out a trade one thing that was part of that is they claimed to have a gods honest professional cook, so the deal was that they would cook for us, and i swear upon my gun that that night Stephanie J. Barnhill cooked for us. Don't feel bad if the name dosent instantly register from what i later gathered she was an up and coming chief with a few high and fancy restaurants. now remember the fish thing i mentioned in the beginning? well i cant tell you how because i watched the whole thing happen from start to finish but id swear that she did some kind of slight of hand and swapped the pond farmed catfish we have into the top shelf Kobe beef steaks that even before the crash would make you want to stab your best friend. i dont know if it was something she did special or if it was a combination of our common condition out here but ... the meal was probably the best of my life pre-post crash. the flavor was without any trace of 'fish' / the meat was firm and solid to the utensil but melted into liquid in the mouth in a way i cant properly convey here in text...my mouth is drooling remembering it. that being said, no matter what we do we've still not been able to recapture that same experience despite fish begin a staple of our diet here so its not as if we lacked the opportunity to try.

Name a time when you thought for sure you had someone completely figured out, could anticipate everything they might even consider doing in any situation who surprised you by doing something completely different? could be good or bad but id like to hear it all the same.

Err looks like Mauve outpaced my post by a few keystrokes  8) so the next person can chose their question between us or do a double shot  ;D lightning round.

What's the happiest find you've made?  What object or thing has brought you the most joy upon pulling it out of a decrepit building?

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Nelphine

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2018, 05:42:58 PM »
What's the happiest find you've made?  What object or thing has brought you the most joy upon pulling it out of a decrepit building?

Crowbar.

We were looking for a place for the night, looking for tools - we really needed a crowbar - for the job we were heading to, and there were C's swarming some building. No idea why at the time. So, it was a nice looking building, and the C's weren't getting in, we decided to check it. Easy little entrance in the back, some traps of course, but we get in.

And inside, Crowbar. Little kid. Maybe 2 or 3 years old. Had been crying - the whole rest of the family starved and somehow they had decided to leave food for the kid, so he survived, and made enough noise to attract us.

Our enclave didn't have any babies. We named him Crowbar - and even if he didn't help that job at all, he bloody pulled the whole enclave together. He's half the reason we survived.

What's the craziest person you met, that you didn't end up having to put down?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 05:44:44 PM by Nelphine »

The Passerby

• Taker
  • We all walk past, I can only hope I notice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2018, 09:24:46 AM »
What's the craziest person you met, that you didn't end up having to put down?

The Spooner. And no, that's not what I called him, that's what he called himself. Also no, it does not mean he spooned people. Though I know for a fact he probably spooned someone to death in that other way because he was a huge bastard...probably. It's still out on that, but yeah definitely saw him kill a man with a spoon once. Motherf@cker loved him some spoons. Like...I would have assumed some sort of compulsion driven anxiety disorder, or maybe some thing on the spectrum, but he was too freewheeling and loose for that. Didn't have the rigid strict orderly conduct of someone really bound up by a low GAF score.

I think he liked to freak people out...but he actually might have something. Don't know.

But in any case, yeah. Motherf@cker loved him some spoons. Like he had spoons hanging all over him, big slotted spoons, little wooden spoons. Had this giant ass stainless steel weird spoon tool. Saw him break through a fire door with that thing like it was a set of fireman irons. Wouldn't shut up about spoons, wouldn't stop using spoons, like f@cker would use a spoon instead of a can opener. Like...who does that? Spoon life hacks, and spoon hacks...

Last I saw, he was running some sort of racket with some meathead Detoxin runners and a drone pilot. Something about ziplines and primal wind therapy in Zion National Park down in Utah? I am unsure of the details. Either way, not my business too. Like I don't want to be drawn down that weird ass rabbit hole...god. I really don't want to know...why the hell is UBIQ censoring my swears with @s?

What was your luckiest big fish golden bullet miracle on ice story? Take out a UCAV with a pistol while blind firing? Somehow Kobe and Yeet a grenade into that open port on the armored car from a block away? Make that mile-long shot with a cold barrel? Somehow perform brain surgery with high on meth? Convince some black mathers to read your pamphlet while drunk, naked, and hanging upside down over a pit of spikes? Share.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2018, 05:44:23 PM »
What was your luckiest big fish golden bullet miracle on ice story? Take out a UCAV with a pistol while blind firing? Somehow Kobe and Yeet a grenade into that open port on the armored car from a block away? Make that mile-long shot with a cold barrel? Somehow perform brain surgery with high on meth? Convince some black mathers to read your pamphlet while drunk, naked, and hanging upside down over a pit of spikes? Share.

Second Ab I ever took out.  So I was hanging off the roof of a semi cab, surrounded by C's climbing up.  My first shot was to set off a mega-Molotov out in the middle of the mobs; my follow-up was a headshot through the visor of a football helmet at the very edge of the pistol's range, out of a crowd of hundreds.  It was a peach of a shot, best shot I've ever fired; don't think I could ever do that again, and I hope I never need to.

When your Deadeyes app tells you *not* to take the shot, it's a golden bullet moment.

What's your favorite useless item you've looted?  Pillow, afghan, book of limericks, band poster, etc?

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »
What's your favorite useless item you've looted?  Pillow, afghan, book of limericks, band poster, etc?

Varlaaax will apreciate this one. so we were out on a run and it was a crap job to begin with, but hey we had to do something to keep busy and bringing in a small take was better then not. so while we were out this monstrous sized horde just kinda started trickling in over us. at first it was any other operation small groups of 2-4 and most of them we were able to avoid all together, but then we started to notice they were getting thicker and thicker. scout poped his drone to get a birds-eye on it and through his farmers tan you could see him physically turn white at the numbers he was seeing. with that said we booked it to the nearest shelter we could get and hoped to just wait out the weather. turns out our go to this time was a rooftop with a makeshift lean to left by someone who long ago no longer had a need for it. among the collection of junk was a garbage bag wrapped around a plastic bag wrapped around a cloth-wrapped book, now at this point we thought we might have something worth a few bounty on its own... turns out it was a 4 inch thick book encyclopedia sized book of jokes and riddles. now while we were all disappointed about the lack of value turns out we were going to be trapped on that roof for at least another day... and well with nothing better to do that dmn book because a primary source of (albeit groan inducing) entertainment as we each took turns trying to top the last.

When (and what) was the source of your last earthshaking, belly busting, honest to god laugh?
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

RiskManagement

• Bait
  • Risk Management For Hire, Ill Manage the risks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2018, 07:57:57 AM »
When (and what) was the source of your last earthshaking, belly busting, honest to god laugh?

was out on a job with some newbie bait (didn't even have a taker name yet). Not sure why this was funny, but we got in a shootout with some madmax motherfuckers who broke down and were trying to jack our ride. one of them threw a nade and the bait being all heroic like jumps on it clearly thinking hes about to die and yells "Tell my mom" at the top of his lungs.he didn't know but they never pulled the pin so there he is laying on this grenade thinking hes about to die while we killed the last of the raiders,he laid there for a solid minute straight. when i saw him still laying there, it made me cry laugh so hard i couldn't breath.

Last time you had a good interaction with a LaLa?
Risk Management For Hire, I'm your safety net.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »
Last time you had a good interaction with a LaLa?

his Name is Dingo, and hes not a regular around our area but probably about once a year or so we might catch him around. anyway dudes cracked in all the places that matter... so while hes not what I would classify as hostile hes also not someone you'd invite over for dinner. so the story goes that me and 3 others were out on a patrol of the outer reaches of the enclaves 'clear' land and we find these large mounds of Dead 'C's just stacked in piles starting at 1 in the first and 2 in the second and so on for 10 piles, now while that's odder then all hell, we've seen stranger and after a quick look over them to see if there was anything worth taking we move on. a bit further along we find another stack but this time we here a bit of noise, turns out its Dingo. apparently what had been happening is hes convinced that by making the stacks of the dead around his 'den' they wont smell him wont, hear him. he will blend in with the natural 'noise' of the dead... now when i say that Dingo was in rough shape i mean i dont think that if you took a wire brush to him for an hour you could have seen skin but for a moment after he ranted to us about his plan he then almost became...lucid and inquired if in trade for the junk the dead had on them that would interfere his blight-camo Feng shui, if wed help him collect more, turns out that hes collected some 20 bounty worth of plastic and odds and ends in building his wall of the dead. we were already getting next to nothing for our current job and so were more then amicable to picking up some easy bounty for an honest days work. so as far as LaLas are concerned I think thats got to be about the best outcome other then them ignoring you and going their own way.

who or what has taught you a valuable skill/lesson thats kept you going (ether emotionally or physically or spiritually whatever) that you would have never considered paying attention to before the fall?