Author Topic: Bounty Hunting as a third type of job?  (Read 368 times)

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
Bounty Hunting as a third type of job?
« on: April 06, 2018, 11:23:53 PM »
I know that closure jobs are a thing, I was just talking with RPPR's David about it on their site, but I was thinking that maybe you could do something self-motivated like with a score, like bounty (hurr hurr) hunting?  Meaning the overall bounty garnered depends on the amount of foes killed.

Like, an enclave falls, and the Taker's enclave worries that they need to think out those vectors before they spread, so they offer 5 bounty per vector kill.  Now the players need to drop say...12 Vectors or so in order to make ends meet, and then profit after that.

Conceptually, I think this could work, for raiders, DHQS, Moths, any other faction really.  Naturally the Market will have to try to make the scene either really bad, or ensure there's non-headshot stuff to do for the other Takers.

Think this could be a job type?
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
Re: Bounty Hunting as a third type of job?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 06:50:27 AM »
in ether the book lore where they talk about the other factions or perhaps it was one of the podcasts ive listened to there's talk of taker groups doing bulk horde hunts where they basically make a profit by doing mass clearing projects. my group considered doing it but we ultimately decided that the risk out weighed the rewards mechanically.on the last leg of a job though they do tend to intentionally make noise to draw in at least a few more mobs to rake in a last little extra but nothing on a large scale, I would be interested if anyone has attempted this with perhaps a larger budget to work with perhaps making use of DDJs or other means.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

theblazeuk

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:47:55 AM »
That's the GILF business model (as detailed-gone-wrong in the Brutalists and described in the book)

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:36:14 PM »
That's the GILF business model (as detailed-gone-wrong in the Brutalists and described in the book)

ah yes, thanks  for some reason was drawing a blank. But I was interested if anyone had run this kind of operation as a taker or market. I know there was one episode (probably the one your alluding to actually) where rppr was trapped in a box for hours just grinding away... while not 'thrilling' it definitely brings a new meaning to working over time from the standard 9-5 XD.

but there are other instances where knowing how to properly handle 'horde' looting might come into play. though again that might just be one of those things that are out of the capabilities of most crews, having said that my own takers killed 50 something C's at a hardware store so they could recover inventory of parts and machines.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

theblazeuk

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 01:40:54 PM »
Funnily enough, taking laminate is one of the least used aspects of the game in my experience via both AP and RL experience.

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 10:51:00 PM »
mind you all, I mean killing Cs for a bounty from a client, not just clearing out Cs for the bounty they may have, though thats a bonus.

Here's the pitch I see,   a chemfarm (i forget the actual slang term) falls, and naturally all other enclaves in the area are both wary about Vs and eager to get their hands on stuff. So the client says, "We need as much of this chemfarm cleared out as much as possible, gotta stop these Vectors from making things worse, and we need the goods involved. Now we just need you to clear out as many as possible. You're looking at a large crew here, anywhere from 30 to 60 Cs-Vs in the area, so here's how its going to go.  We need at least 20 down. It lowers the threat level significantly, and gives us better claim on the area against the other enclaves. Every V kill after that will net you 2 more bounty."

Or even the price is just 3 bounty per V kill altogether, so that puts it at 60 right there for the minimum
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

The Passerby

• Taker
  • We all walk past, I can only hope I notice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 07:02:11 AM »
Wouldn't Bounty Hunting be something more like a different type of "Score" job?

Like a bounty is usually defined as a reward for turning in X. Be it a bailjumper, outlaw, or other.

I would think you'd have to break it down into several "types", most basic being live, not live.

Live would be your outlaws, your problematic people. I want you to bring me the head of Leroy Jenkins, or for every patch of that MC causing problems, I'll pay.

Then you got standing orders for people. Gas for bullets, water for batteries, Bounty for Bounty(the paper towels).

I don't think anyone is going to pay you a bounty for Cs killed.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »
well that was just an example, and more likely Vs, bandits, rivals, cultists, etc... not Cs, but regardless, we're sort of on the same page here that it could be set up sort of like a score, but I could also see a client doing this as well.  Hence my post title. 

SoCal Sweetheart

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
"Bring me the head of Leroy Jenkins" is the best name for a RM Actual Play ever.

MauveHand

• Taker
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 02:29:57 AM »
I could definitely see it as a side job.

"That group of raiders has been making things rough. Every raider you kill, we'll give you two bounty. Bring those distinctive red bandanas they wear."

You'll encounter a TON in my campaign if I give you that side job, and they'll show up in bigger groups.

"Lions. Who'd have thought? Five bounty per lion head."

Good luck.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 04:43:10 PM »

Good luck.

nothing could possibly go wrong if you ignore the side jobs either, Right?  ;)

MauveHand

• Taker
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 12:53:27 PM »

Good luck.

nothing could possibly go wrong if you ignore the side jobs either, Right?  ;)

Nope, not a thing.  You won't have lions stalking your Enclave later or anything.  Honest.