Author Topic: Cram rations  (Read 633 times)

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
Cram rations
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:08:07 PM »
I ended up spending a bounty on some of those high-caloric cram rations. You know the type? Taste awful, probably meant to be processed or something before eaten.

Well /something/ needs to happen with them, because they're dry, chalky, and they give me all sorts of the worst cramps.  Does anyone have a trick to make these things edible?
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

One Bounty. Two Crypto

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
Re: Cram rations
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 02:11:37 AM »
I haven't tried them, but I recommend the Civil War hard tack strat: boil them down into gruel.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 06:33:44 PM »
oatmeal and seasoning go a long way. we produce a lot of our own food here but i remember in the early days choking down my fair share amount of 'X' in a can. and any distraction from it helps. strong things with vinegar also seem to help and don't go bad easily.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 03:36:37 PM »
Honey helps.  Fins a good source of it, and it'll cover a multitude of cooking sins.  And bonus, it keeps forever.  Honey can't go bad.

Add water and yeast, it becomes mead; that'll cover *even more* cooking sins.

Varlaaax

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 07:19:13 PM »
Cram rations?

You mean breakfast, lunch and dinner.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:36:47 AM by Varlaaax »

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:39:29 PM »
You mean breakfast, lunch and dinner.

heh, you mean breakfast and dinner. i cant speak for everyone else but in our enclave at least we tend to have a large breakfast skip lunch and eat an early light dinner. but the quality of the food tends to be better the in other places from what i heard as we are blessed to produce a large portion of fresh food. Catfish was never a fave of mine before the crash but now a days I have come to appreciate the variety of ways you can prep food. wich kinda relates back to the main topic, of how to make Rations more appealing.

Spices make a world of difference if you can find any that are unspoiled.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."