Author Topic: LordSkys' Blog  (Read 3625 times)

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
Re: LordSkys' Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 04:40:53 AM »
December 24

Out for a quick collection run. The guys in charge of Lexicon want me to scope out a small bookstore they discovered on a map of a town a few hours drive out. They agreed to charge up the car for the run if it means bringing back more books.

They insisted I bring back up, so I found Almanac. Almanac is the guy I saved a few years back. Nerdy guy, smart as a whip, but not exactly the most sensible.

Almanac is an archivist believer. He has high intelligence and speed, medium adaption, and low charisma, strength, and will. He is out fitted with a silenced handgun, kevlar, carpet armor, and a club. He also has binoculars and a tailored lockpicker's kit by the next time they get out there.

Elise is making friends, and Tanner and Denise are holding out. We found an orphanage-type place in Lexicon, but they are extremely fanatic about archivism. I also still can't get the images of Schmidt and Sophie out of my head when I walk in there.

Phoenix should be at Lexicon by nightfall, and hopefully Minotaurus is as tough as he sounds.

Anyways, people have been asking if Elise is really my wife's name. No it's not. No one is safe out here, and faux names are just one more layer of protection. They have also been asking about her taker name, but I'm letting her choose to reveal that name.

It doesn't matter Sky and Elise are our names now, just like how Coyote, Foxtrot, Cigs, Phoenix, and everyone else are them now.

I've been thinking about my business as well. I have Littlebird and Bigbird with me, and I have the basic materials to continue it, but without settling down I can't really invest long term into multiple contracts.

I understand that there is some demand for niche gear, but demand is always high when I can't fill it. Would it be better if I made gear and auctioned it off? Maybe, but part of my business is the specialization of the gear to the people I work with. Plus, how many people really need an axe that doubles as a shotgun?

(Actually need, not just want)

Anyways, the bookstore had some C's around it, but I took care of them silently.

I know solo missions aren't safe, but I can handle myself, and I don't exactly trust anyone else I go out here with will actually have my back. Luckily enough I know that Almanac is harmless as long as you don't destroy a limited edition around him.

The bookstore was surprisingly untouched, even for the Loss. Dust everywhere, but clearly no one messed with the books, and luckily enough for me, I had a moving dolly to crate the books out to the car. We filled up box after box with as many books as we could, multiple copies of some. No where near emptying it out, but was able to clear out the first few rows of the nonfiction and children's section.

I also chose to get some personal selections from some of the skilled trade sections. Survival manuals, how to books, etc. Hope to learn as much as I can on the topics I find useful. Almanac wasn't very keen on letting me take books for myself, but I promised I would keep them safe and put them to good use, and it satisfied him well enough.

I was able to relock the bookstore again, so I won't have to bother with Cs when I go back.

I just hope this buys us some time at Lexicon, as well as some use of the extensive library they have there; or, rather, it is.

Update: I just got back to the enclave, and turns out Phoenix got here about two hours after we left.

Most of you guys probably wouldn't know Phoenix. He's a practical guy. He's gotten real good at making deals for a while now. His kid has gotten him a little more serious, but that's okay.

Phoenix is Lost. He has decent speed, charisma, and adaption, but low will, intelligence and strength. His biggest weakness lies in his low strength. Since having his daughter he's been trying harder to work towards retirement. He has a rifle with the silent, scoped, and tactical sling upgrades, along with some carpet armor and ubiq specs. He works primarily as a face/negotiator.

Minotaurus is a beastly guy for sure. Seven foot, built like bunker. He's got a warhammer and a shield that seems to be homemade. I talked with him during a video chat w/ Phoenix, guys seems cool enough.

Minotaurus is actually 7’2” and a fenceman. He has high strength and speed, moderate adaption, and low intelligence, will, and charisma. He's decked out in chainmail, a sturdy warhammer, and a riot shield.

He gave me some condolences for High View, Coyote, Foxtrot, and Cigs. I know it's the humane thing to do, but do we still have to do that after the world went to shit?

I'm rambling.

Whatever.

“See" y'all tomorrow.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 04:43:55 AM »
my goodness, page 2.

Do you guys actually enjoy this? Or just let me ramble?

If you actually want to answer that, put it in the general discussion about it. Including if you guys want a mention/be a contact/etc.

And thanks for letting me be an idiot online, you guys are the best.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 03:01:39 AM »
December 27

We're on the road again.

Elise decided to join us out on the job. So far all is good, but she is still getting used to the arm.

Elise is Lost. She has high speed, adaption, and average strength. She is equipped with a silenced, extended magazine handgun; along with a sturdy knife and a modular Kevlar vest. Her left leg and her right arm are prosthetics. Her leg has advanced polymer and blade runners, and her arm has Handshake and "BiteMe" Plate. She has a 1 in Athletics(Prosthetics) and a 3 in Profession (Animal Handling) but lost her dog on a run before the fall of High View

Right now our crew is Phoenix, Minotaurus, Elise, Almanac, and myself.

We had to hide in some SUV's as a herd passed us by. No screaming, just shuffling and clacking. It was unnerving, but luckily enough Phoenix was able to chill Almanac out, and we found some old MREs in the back of a Humvee.

We found a place to shack up, and I got first watch. I caught a Knightaulis and a Boaring, so that is fun.

Gonna reconnect with y'all in the morning.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 03:09:09 AM by LordSkys »

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 04:14:53 AM »
December 29th

Yesterday we went threw a small town made up of no more than two dozen buildings.

Spent the day scavenging up anything we could and killing any C's inside. Pulled a few cards and was able to fix up everyone's carpet armor, but nothing of extreme value.

We ended up spending the night in the most defendable house there, and moved out in the morning.

Today we found a mudslide blocking the road a few miles out of town. There were some C's buried in the mud that made it hard to get through. Scouting with little bird showed that it wasn't too big, but enough where it would add a day or two to out journey, so we had to find a way across without being bitten.

We ended up using some metal sheets from a construction site a mile back to get across. Anyone remember that game where you had to move from spot to spot across a gap with your team? Where you had to move the spot in the back to the front so you could keep moving? It was like that but the floor could actually kill you.

Took the better part of a day to get across, but we made it with no major screw ups. We found a dusty old shack to sleep in, and there was an axe over the mantle that could hopefully come in handy for Almanac, since he can barely take out a C with the club.

Phoenix called Elise by her old taker name, which was a flash from the past. I think we both know that it's time for Lupa, mother of wolves, to return.

It's getting to be pretty late, but I wanted to fill all of you in after not posting last night. Hopefully tomorrow we will get to our destination.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 04:25:33 AM by LordSkys »

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 07:14:47 AM »
December 31th

We got to our destination in a little under an hour from the shack. It took some time to pulls cards, but luckily we were able to bottle neck them into automatic doors for the first hour of clearing. Thank God for hipster "green buildings" with shitty password security.

We found the 3D printer schematics and got paid then and there for the data. We decided to take what solar panels we could find and get out of there after Almanac downloaded the extra schematics and designs of the server banks.

It was getting out that became a problem. Almanac had triggered some safety protocol with the building, which locked the lower floors. At this point we were half way up the building.

The security measures cause C's upstairs to crowd the stairs, elevator shaft, and even fall out windows in the hopes of getting to the source of the noise.

We're now stuck in the building, C's descending on us and creating an impassable barrier below us at the same time.

Elise and Minotaurus begin taking out C's coming towards us with pot shots and hammer swings, while Phoenix rigs a DDJ to buy us some time. Meanwhile, Almanac and I are dealing with the security system and clearing C's from the door out of there.

Just as the we unlock the security doors and clear the C's off the ground floor, we see the chunks of cheap eco-crete tear from the wall as the DDJ gives way. At this point Elise has taken Almanac's handgun out of the holster so that she can keep dealing with C's, having already ran out of her own ammo, and Minotaurus is using his shield as an impromptu wall against the undead while Phoenix takes pot shots at Cs.

We get the fuck out of dodge, and decide to use the building's door ways to try and pull a few more cards before going home. All in all, a good payday after such a stressful day at work.

I think Elise and I need a nice long shower together after that fiasco. We decided to use the shack again after clearing the rest of the Cs from the building and getting a pretty stack of plastic.

At first I thought Almanac was a little rattled, but less so after I realized he was just happy to expand Lexicon's 3D printer source library.

Hopefully The Moths enjoy knowing that the data they wanted off the hard drives is safely under their control now.

I decided to get some sleep before dealing with moving around the mudslide in the morning, which took almost all day

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 04:38:36 PM »
January 1st

Another year in the Loss.

Congratulations to anyone that made it this far Loss side.

Sorry if you lost people, hell knows I have.

Anyways, nothing to take down so far. We're about two miles out from Lexicon without a C in sight.

Update: At Lexicon, and trying to set up a time pawn these panels.

They don't believe in new year other than as a date tracker, it makes sense to me, but I do miss those pre-Crash festivities.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 05:25:19 AM »
January 2nd

Phoenix and I found a punch bot going in circles a few klicks from Lexicon. It's left side treads were blown out, and it had an ever increasing mound of bodies around it.

Sometimes I forget how damn effective these things can be. It's not like I've been watching it very long, but the thing has got my last job beat when it comes to numbers.

Gives me an idea for some gear.

Update:

Phoenix and I were able to salvage the thing and dismantle it. Thank god for recession idiots that can't tell soft from strong metals for armoring. Double and triple checked and have no sensor or radio out puts, and have a fully functioning telescopic arm and sensor.

Now to get to tinkering.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:40:00 AM by LordSkys »

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 10:41:13 PM »
January 6

Been upgrading Lexicon's defenses with everyone else who can spare a hand.

It's surprisingly easy to convince archivists of the simple truth that a library needs more protection. Especially for it's curators to expand the knowledge and survive long enough to do so.

Lupa bought me some new rotars for littlebird from the shepards in the Toy Store, and we have been getting closer after she has gotten back into the field. She seems a little bit more... peaceful.

I still see it whenever I close my eyes, and hear her screams as the vector rips her arm off, jerking it as he bites down until it rips out of her elbow socket. As Kingsley tears her arm off, nearly infecting her in the process.

Her lying there in my arms, white from bleeding. She just barely survives, just to see her get bit in the leg as we escape.

I'm glad to have her with me.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 04:28:21 PM »
January 7
The punch bot arm is a finicky piece of work. The plating is part of the telescopic structure, so there are no chinks in the armor, because the chinks are armored themselves.

It seems to be hydraulic based, but the punch bot has a system that collects air from the surrounding environment then condences and pressurizes the air for the cattle gun.

I've seen the machines that create air pressure, but never one that can create enough pressure to work as a cattle gun on this small a scale. It's not cartridge based, or else it would have to refuel/restock every few days.

Unless part of this mechanism was housed in the central chassis of the unit, I frankly don't have a clue how it does it.

Update:

I might end up burning the midnight oil on this project. The telescoping arm just isn't functioning properly. It'll clamp before it extends, making it a literal punch bot, but not effective for dealing with undead.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:54:00 AM by LordSkys »

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 05:53:33 AM »
January 13

Picked up some work from the higher ups at Lexicon. The crew is getting ready for some picking.

Right now our crew is Minotaurus, Lupa, Phoenix, Almanac, and myself.

The punch drone is almost ready, but I'm working out some coding bugs, and would rather not let it loose at the moment.

We're heading out tomorrow morning, hopefully won't have a story to tell you guys when I get back.

Maybe the Loss will be boring for once.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 07:03:22 PM »
January 14

Found an old tree house. Boards were weak, but may be able to use it later on down the road. Found an old toolkit around back of the tree with blood smears all over the bag and on the tree.

Poor sap got bit and bled out, went off to god knows where.

Damn thing is too loud to deal with, so we had to come back for it later.

Found a Mothrone, so UBeasts is still working. It got me thinking about New Athens.

I miss having the availability of all the enclaves. Not to mention that the Meek are still out there, probably stronger now than before.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 05:57:03 PM »
January 15

Found a travelling Shepard caravan.

They traded us some rations, so everything is going okay.

Later down the road we took out some Cs and pulled some cards. Nothing really great after the pulling, just taking a quick break before we get back on the road.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 08:13:03 PM »
January 18

We've been guarding the site for two days now.

Protecting a dozen workers from wandering casualties is a bit harder than a bait may realize. The freedom of salvage on the dead is useful though.

We had a sandstorm blow through, which buried a lot of the salvage, and my skin is all sorts of screwed having to hold the fence as the dust and C's threatened to topple it.

I think Lupa's arm got some sand in the diodes, because it isn't working properly. Should be able to catch a ride back to Lexicon, since we're almost out of steel to be salvaged here.

Update: So there was an old amusement park half buried in the sand (Iowa dust bowl valley, baby) that we needed to salvage steel from the track and buildings for reconstruction. Or rather, the archivists did to better protect Lexicon while they continued to fill out their library; and we protected them from C's in the area.

At this point, everything worth salvaging is either taken or under six feet of sand. So I think it is a job well done.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 05:04:58 AM »
January 19

Lexicon is a quiet place. Kids here are indoctrinated into the faith pretty quickly, but it's interesting to see how many non-archivists live here.

The shepards here are kind, and they help the archivists by bringing the C's away from the walls, and a crew of Crusaders set up shop in an old TiberCo shop. Anyone remember them? One of the designer animal style businesses that got eaten alive by Alosine during the Crash. I'm pretty sure that the main difference between shepards and archivists are whether they are researching a cure for the blight, or protecting those that are "afflicted" by the blight.

I can't really subscribe to either philosophy. No point waiting for a cure that won't come, or protecting a corpse that wants to eat you.

I can understand the valor of wanting to have hope, but a lot of people lost hope a long time ago. I'd happily help either group in finding materials, but I won't be working the midnight oil over a microscope any time soon.

Elise and I found a hole in the wall that we can call our own, at least for now. She's trying to convince me we should buy a pup off of Dane. Dane is a hunter that domesticated some hounds after the Crash, an has been using them to find fresh and huntable creatures since the Crash.

Dude occasionally makes a buck selling jerky, but is just as likely to bring in livestock alive. I don't understand how he can get em to work with him. Anyways, his prize hounds had a litter, and they seem to be strong and loyal. I don't blame Elise for wanting a new companion out here, but I'm afraid if she loses another one it will take time to recover.

Currently reading an A/C repair manual. Interesting stuff.

I hear that a shipment of food will be coming in soon from another crew based in the area; so that should be a good event to see.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 09:10:12 PM »
January 21

If anyone thinks LordSky (the character, not me) is being a bit of dick in this post, In Real Loss she wasn't just yelled at. She was called some things that would secure insta-bans on the general discussion threadunder the guidelines of hate speech. She also was following a spot because of this and got a Will out of it.

One thing that really gets my goat is when someone can't understand basic health and food.

So this crew, the Vander-Beasts, comes back in with a truck of produce. The enclave is all rejoicing and shit. They open up the back of the movers truck, and it's grain.

Bushels upon bushels of grain.

Not produce, not vegetables and fruit. Grain. Seeds in fact. At first I think we're supposed to grow our own. Then I smell the warm Chestnut  smell of Alosine Select Flaxseed

Now don't get me wrong, food is food, but I see the people in the enclave. I see rickets and scurvy. I see Thompson's bones grinding under the skin because they don't have basic veggies. Staples.

I knew we should have taken that job; but because the Vander-Beasts have jobline privileges and we try to not undercut people (that's generally in bad taste if it's not necessary), and can't tell a potato from a stone, our strong enough diet of wheat, sorgum, and barley has been supplemented by flaxseed.

Everyone in the enclave was already kinda pissed at the meager addition to the one type of food we already have when I go up to the dumb ass in charge. He starts getting confused when I yell at him about how the people in charge sent them to get some vegetables from one of the three enclaves around us selling them. He gives me this dumb stare and says:

"We did, flaxseed is one of the strongest, safest vegetables in the Loss. Back off ///redacted for strong language" Strongest? Safest? Vegetable?
///redacted for strong language?

I start spilling on the guy. I first point out to him the reason it is so strong is because it ruins any other crops around it by leaching the surrounding nutrients. (The Alosine Flaxseeds give off a specific aroma. Learned that from Digger Doug, and how the prey on other crop's soil.)

Second off, what makes them safe? Oh...
He thinks they are non-GMO. They threw the old produce (actual lettuce, tomatoes, and shit) they were supposed to buy in the river outside the enclave they got it from because it was GMO. Then they spent an extra day going to another enclave, getting ripped off by a flaxseed farmer that the crops were 100% GMO free, (they weren't) and thus would satisfy this dumbass Detoxin crew.

Thirdly, Vegetables. I have mentioned how much of dumbass this group is. FLAXSEED IS NOT A VEGETABLE. Especially not an acid that may help reduce scurvy and/or rickets in children and the elderly, let alone full grown adults.

As for the last comment, I gave him my meanest right hook and prayed I hit above the nose and below the hair. Elise wasn't exactly happy with my behavior, but I gotta admit it felt good.

Update:

The archivists seem unlikely to bristle at the thought of indecent nutrition. "We're not meant to be next" and all that.

The Crusaders, Shepards, and every man seem more than a little peeved. There's a call for the council to dock the pay or even evict the Vander-Beasts. I didn't even think we had Detoxin in Lexicon, but apparently they all came together as part of the crew or it's dependants.

Lexicon is an utter theocratic meritocracy. The place itself is an archivist stronghold, but there is a smattering of religions here and there. They have to agree to contribute to the library of Lexicon; keep the dead from gaining entrance, collecting books, scribing the knowledge, etc.

(I do a mixture of the last two)

I'm kinda in the doghouse with Elise, but she isn't too mad.

I'm just glad there are no Randians here.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 02:42:32 AM by LordSkys »