Author Topic: Gear and Jobs Card Deck Clarifications  (Read 475 times)

ericbright2002

• Bait
    • View Profile
    • Red Markets Web App
Gear and Jobs Card Deck Clarifications
« on: September 22, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »
Hey all!  I'm trying to make a card deck of Gear (probably 100 cards so there are multiples of things like handguns, rifles, and such) and a card deck of Jobs and stuff associated with Jobs such as die rolls, hit locations, enclaves, clients, spots, random encounters, etc. (exactly 100 cards in this deck to match die rolls).  Check out the mock-ups below.

http://redmarketsapp.atwebpages.com/RMimages/GearCardBackSmall.png
http://redmarketsapp.atwebpages.com/RMimages/GearCardFrontSmall.png

http://redmarketsapp.atwebpages.com/RMimages/JobsCardBackSmall.png
http://redmarketsapp.atwebpages.com/RMimages/JobsCardFrontSmall.png

My goal is to get all the images done and give them to Caleb as a holiday present so he can sell them himself in the hope that a little extra bounty for him will allow him to keep creating great RPG content.

However, as I've been retyping the gear, I've come across several questions that I could use some help to clarify.

1) Do all explosive weapons explode on the Taker when they get a critical failure as implied by the Flamethrower upgrade Safety Valve?

2) If they do explode on a critical failure, what about Plastic Explosives?  A crit fail there would be the same as a success since they are remotely detonated.  What about on a crit fail they explode at a narratively inconvenient time as determined by the Market?

3) The Blood Testing Unit upgrade DHQS Model says that you get the results without a First Aid check, but I thought you got the results without a First Aid check just by having the BTU.  Do you have to have the First Aid Kit with the DHQS upgrade to allow you do a blood test in the first place?

4) The Prosthetic Leg says Clunky means "No skill bonus", but to what?  Only Stealth checks?  Any SPD or STR check?

5) SOMA is Addictive and says "After failing a STR check," but when do you make the STR check?  Every time you take the SOMA?  Also, does the Charged quality in this case mean aiding the STR check to resist the addiction or that you can take multiple SOMA pills in a single leg?  Same questions for Stim Sauce.

6) The Basilisk Armor upgrade of DHQS Issue I'm assuming means it saves you from the infection one time but is destroyed in the process, correct?

7) The Helmet says it protects against everything "save fire".  Should all armor types say that?  Basilisk Armor, Chainmail, or Kevlar don't do much good against a Flamethrower do they?  What about Riot Shield? 

8 ) The Helmet can get a flashlight.  Does it take charges to use that light or is it free use?

9) The Falcon pet says it can deal a "single Stun damage attack", but does that mean one attack per round since it can't use both a Tactic and a Twitch or does it mean its attack does only 1 damage?

10) Item Damage - Whenever an item is damaged that is not Fragile, it loses one charge, correct?  That includes bicycles, vehicles without armor plating, etc.?

11) Speaking of vehicle damage, since Molotov Cocktails have the Explosive quality, they technically can damage armored vehicles.  Should that be an exception?

12) Some gear text was too long to fit on a single card, so I decided to turn them into two cards rather than shrink the text further.  That means things like pets, drones, dron-keys, etc. are split over two cards.  Do you think that's ok?

13) Final question, I'm not a graphic design artist or layout guy.  Is there anyway you think either set of cards should be changed to be made more useful?  Is this worth pursuing?  Would Markets and players find these useful?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
Re: Gear and Jobs Card Deck Clarifications
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 02:31:21 PM »
Awesome project! I'll see if I can help answer some of your questions a some point when I have some free time.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Laughing Penguin

• Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 09:30:38 PM »
I'll expand my thoughts later, but the general gut feeling I have is that the Jobs deck is trying to do too much. It feels crowded as a result, and it's hard to really pick out particular information quickly. I feel like it would be a more useful tool if it had fewer items laid out in a clearer manner so I could deal out a few to generate a job on the fly.

Like Interlude - I don't know if that is a common enough thing to need on the card, and not something I'd really need handy if trying to generate a quickie scenario on the fly. It only comes up when players specifically make it happen or if the Market feels a need to introduce it.

Encounters seems off too in that there isn't enough there to really run with, but it takes up a lot of space. If anything i'd replace the gear/casualty/goods with a description of Critical Misfortune so the user wouldn't feel a need to look that up in the moment.  The gear on hand is easier to make up on the fly, and listing a single bit of kit like 'axe' doesn't feel like it's adding much.

I do like the idea of having dice on the card so a deck can act as a die roller, but associating it with a random leg on the card doesn't mesh well when the job in question lists 2 legs. Maybe just have the dice be their own thing somewhere aside from any mention of legs and people can consult the table as needed.

Just in general I think I'd try to focus more on the job aspect, and consider if you'd need to generate enclaves and encounters with the deck.

All that said, I do love the idea. If set up so I can toss down 2 or 3 cards to get the bare bones of a job (and the die rolls for legs!) would be a great way to set up a quick session.

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 10:45:11 PM »
Say ericbright2002, have you done much with the gear deck lately? I'm planning to work on making a gear deck in Indesign, but I don't wanna duplicate work if you've already done it.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/