Author Topic: Clarification Needed: Weapons Platform Upgrade  (Read 612 times)

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
Clarification Needed: Weapons Platform Upgrade
« on: May 02, 2019, 07:04:10 PM »
So, weapons platform for the dron-key adds a capped shotgun.

I first want to say I don't think it is a literal shotgun, but it functions as a shotgun for all intents and purposes.

I thought this worked the same as the ubiq app for the prosthetic arm, which says ubiq spec apps are unavailable. But weapons platform doesn't say shotgun upgrades are unavailable.

It also doesn't clarify whether or not it just eats up dron-key charges, or if you have to buy and install an actual shotgun on the thing.

So there are basically two ways I see this working, which are on the opposite ends of RAI interpretation. I'm okay with each, but want to know what others think.

1) The dron-key, for only the cost of the upgrade, gets a basic shotgun with capped instead of charged mounted on the dron-key. The shotgun uses dron-key charges to shoot, and gets no shotgun upgrades.

2) The dron-key can be mounted with a shotgun for the price of the upgrade. The actual shotgun is bought separate and uses it's own refresh, charges, and upkeep. At least while mounted, the shotgun has capped. You can buy whatever shotgun upgrades you want for the shotgun. Remember it takes a twitch to pilot the dron-key, so spread would take two twitches to use.

I feel like both of these are pretty balanced. From a simplicity stand point, 1 makes the most sense; but 2 can be an easy house rule, and both types could function in the same game.

I think rule 3 would be 1 while being able to buy upgrades. Problem is it feels like the mediocre stepchild of both of the rules.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification Needed: Weapons Platform Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
I have never considered #1. whenever I read that section I always interpreted that #2 was the default.

that being said ive not had anyone actually go the drone route and so have no practical experience as to how balanced ether interpretation would be.

I would be interested to see where others sit on this as I can see the #1 being a valid way to read it.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 02:07:00 AM »
I have never considered #1. whenever I read that section I always interpreted that #2 was the default.

that being said ive not had anyone actually go the drone route and so have no practical experience as to how balanced ether interpretation would be.

I would be interested to see where others sit on this as I can see the #1 being a valid way to read it.

Thank goodness. I always thought number 2 was pretty out there, but it is the first interpretation that comes to my mind for many new players.

After rereading it a few times, being the gear junkie I am, #1 seemed more and more probable as an interpretation; so much so I kept wondering if that was the RAI. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Either way, though, it still works.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 01:38:47 AM »
Thank goodness. ... ... I kept wondering if that was the RAI. Glad to see I'm not the only one.
Either way, though, it still works.

I think that the default is when in doubt hold a discussion with the group, come to a consensus, then keep that interpretation consistent throughout. and just know that other groups might take another route and so its important to know that ever ones on the same page on things like this.

as always rule of cool demands that we do not get bogged and mired in the minute details and when a cross roads demand a slowdown bump over it and review it at a later date. XD
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Uroboren

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »
I have considered both options. Will go for #2 but if I have not got it wrong a drone operates on a freebie and uses it as a twitch or a tactic. Spend charges on drone to add for better aim but only one shot as it has just a freebie to act on. Spend One charge off the shotgun. Or two if hungry.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 12:37:58 PM by Uroboren »
AO