Author Topic: SPD of horse in combat  (Read 828 times)

Dr_NANO

• Bait
    • View Profile
SPD of horse in combat
« on: May 18, 2019, 01:33:00 PM »
The Ornery upgrade for the horse suggests that you can use it in combat. But in order to keep it out of the hands of hungry casualties I need to know what its SPD is?

I would assume you use Profession Animal Handling to move SPD in combat and burn a charge of the horse as it is charged? Just like a person would use Athletics and burn of a ration charge.

My players have the same question for the bicycle?

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
Re: SPD of horse in combat
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 08:44:38 PM »
Horses should be contextually "too fast".

Can a single Vector catch a horse in a wide open field? Nope, it's too fast.

Can a group of Vectors surround and corner a horse? Probably. If it had Ornery, could it kick one and charge out? Probably.

Unless it is a vehicle, machine, feral, or abberant; just make the horse and/or bike "too fast". The point of the horse attack is if it gets cornered, you're getting on or off by something and it has to hold still, or you say fuck it and charge a group of casualties.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Dr_NANO

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 11:18:53 AM »
Yes, you could play it more like a vehicle.

The question came from one of my players and I guess he say it as way to do Mounted Combat like in Dungeons and Dragons.

They had the same question for the bicycle but I guess your answer would be the same?

Dr_NANO

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 11:54:30 AM »
The horse does have lot of combat upgrades; autonomous, ornery, warhorse, hardy. So it seems it was meant by the designers to be used in combat.

And I can certainly see where my players come from with the idea to take a horse into casualty combat.

But then it needs a SPD. Maybe SPD 6? Then it is faster than any human/Vector.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 11:16:33 PM »
The horse does have lot of combat upgrades; autonomous, ornery, warhorse, hardy. So it seems it was meant by the designers to be used in combat.

And I can certainly see where my players come from with the idea to take a horse into casualty combat.

But then it needs a SPD. Maybe SPD 6? Then it is faster than any human/Vector.

strangely enough horses arnt particularly much faster then people, their main advantage is that while moving the same speed they can carry more weight then us. granted they have top speeds that dwarf ours but most cant maintain that same pace without becoming exhausted / overheated. that is one of the reasons that when army and post relied on horse powered mail systems there were rest houses so that you could ride fast get to the next way station and trade out for a 'fresh' horse and keep riding.

as for horses outrunning C's and V's i doubt it not, however they (the c's and v's) don't get tired, without a distraction they would eventually tire out and eventually capture the horse. see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting

in d&d the averaged listed speed of a human is 30 and a riding horse is 60. in RM most takers have speed 2 so somewhere between 4-6 wouldn't be unreasonable, might even turn it into a quality issue with some horses being different breeds with variable speeds... dont know how deep youd like to track this XD.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 05:25:03 PM »
Yes, you could play it more like a vehicle.

The question came from one of my players and I guess he say it as way to do Mounted Combat like in Dungeons and Dragons.

They had the same question for the bicycle but I guess your answer would be the same?

Glad someone else is thinking about this, too. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do Mounted Combat for Red Markets Black Death.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 10:46:36 PM »
So for RMBD, the horse movement rules as I currently have them:

Basically, horse speed operates on a different scale from human speed. They move based on Range Increments (melee, short, medium, long) rather than Shambles.

Horses have three movement paces: walk, canter, and gallop. Walking is the same as human walking, canter moves one Range Increment per round, gallop moves two range increments per round. I also made a "Fast" upgrade for horses; but since even a slow horse is way faster than a person, all the upgrade does is make them faster than other non-upgraded horses. Past that, I go into a lot more detail, since horses basically replace vehicles as the main mobility gear investment in the medieval setting.

If anybody is interested in seeing my current stuff (and maybe leaving helpful comments!) here's the doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10568TnZzMxPZypBUS9O5ScXzsfLkpByCR3vbY8meJZw/edit?usp=sharing
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Negative Entropy

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 10:30:53 PM »
Follow up. Whats the speed of a bicycle in combat?
2x SPD?

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 02:46:56 AM »
Follow up. Whats the speed of a bicycle in combat?
2x SPD?

That... Seems impractical.

SPD x2? Yeah. Hell, depending if they were already moving or not it could be as much as x4.

In combat? As in actually fighting? That better be at least at default. Or a specialization. Unless you're just fleeing. Or Athletics + Attack, but then no Athletics roll against being hit.

I'm not trying to be rude, but how does that work in your games?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Negative Entropy

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 02:01:19 PM »
I dunno. They bought a bike and they got in a combat with some Cs in a street and the player asked.
After we all consulted the book I said you can move 2XSPD but not attack as a tactic and we moved on.