Author Topic: Explosive weapons  (Read 1069 times)

Dr_NANO

• Bait
    • View Profile
Explosive weapons
« on: May 19, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »
The explosive weapons in the book has me and my players a bit confused. In the introduction text for Flamethrower and Molotov Cocktail it states that they are not good for fighting casualties and are better against Vectors/humans.

But on p 298 it says:

To take down the mass of a mob by more
than one, players need weapons with special
upgrades and qualities: explosive, spray, etc.

So I guess you could use explosive weapons to kill a few casualties but how excactly does it work? And does it only work with other explosive weapons such as grenades or mortar?

Let us say you throw a grenade and chose to damage several adjacent casualties. Do you roll Shoot and hope to hit the head? You need Red 10, and Black 10+ to bring down the casualties?

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
Re: Explosive weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 01:40:33 PM »
Casualties are one and done enemies. Any amount of damage kills them. Their mass (hitpoints) is the number of casualties left in the mob. So an explosive on a mob should always kill a number of Cs as given on the black.

Vectors and humans can burn, accruing extra damage over time. That's why cocktails and throwers are better against them.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Dr_NANO

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 01:46:15 PM »
That makes sense. And it is the most streamlined way to play the rules.

But it is mentioned on p. 298 that Casualties die from headshots, and anything else has little effect.

It would have been nice to have it in writing that one C is killed per given on the Black. Do you have page number?

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 01:55:28 PM »
Contextually yes casualties are only killed by headshots.
But they are so slow moving, that everything is considered a headshot if it hurts them.

If you look on the casualties damaging page, any amount of damage will kill a c
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Khargan

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 02:32:55 PM »
@LordSkys The rulebook specifically states that any Kill damage to the head kills them, but I do think that your overall take on the explosive quality is fair: Deal unmodified black die damage to the mob's mass if you hit it.

I however consider it nonsensical that burning damage wouldn't hurt normal casualties. Blasting any flesh-based entity with napalm fire will be effective one way or the other, either by damaging the muscle of the limbs to the point of immobilization or by cooking the brain cells. A skull will not prevent napalm fire from melting the soft gooey interior. That the casualties will ignore the danger fire poses to them is absolutely fine, cool even, but walking around endlessly as a human torch is blatant fantasy.

Khargan

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »
Here is my concrete suggestion for how explosive fire weapons should function mechanically against C mobs:

Hitting the mob initially deals unmodified black in MASS damage. This sets the mob on fire, and each following round, on the same initiative, roll a black die to determine how much MASS damage the mob takes from the burning.

This is similar to how these weapons function (rules as written) against vectors and humans, except the entire mob is seen as a single entity with a shared hitbox.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 12:47:05 AM »
I like Khargans take on things, it will also be a more useful way to use my next taker Idea ( teenager named 'Marshmallow' and their decked out flamethrower.)I was always trying to justify how to make some of the odder choices work (like how explosives dont require upkeep / and should render C's if not dead then ineffective threats...) but couldn't really try them out until reading this. should be fun. until this point I had religated myself to terror tactics vs other people, but thats another topic...
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."