Author Topic: "Margins and Dividends" Supplement Thread.  (Read 10874 times)

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
"Margins and Dividends" Supplement Thread.
« on: May 21, 2019, 10:26:33 PM »
Hey All!

I've found time and time again that part of what makes Red Markets so dynamic is the fact that the Market shares thematic control of the story with the players. A Taker isn't just a character or plot point, but a Nexus that can shape the story into new paths. When it comes to railroading, Red Markets doesn't require it. Since the plot is directly affected by any action the Takers make, story telling becomes the main focus of the game.

Part of what makes the game so dynamic is it's mechanical looseness, and how it urges players to try new things because of how endlessly interpretable the mechanics are.

The addition of Boom and Bust rules allow for even greater playstyle customization.

So why such the flowery, "praise be to Caleb" introduction?

As already mentioned in my Tough Spot Supplement Homebrew thread, I have begun writing a supplement for Red Markets, which has a working title of Margins and Dividends.

The point (at least for me) isn't to create "more variety"; as much as it is to show how flexible the game really is, as well as putting out my work in a truly official style for the first time.

This supplement would focus mainly around three main ideas:

1)New player options of already established mechanics. E.g. Tough Spots, Will Points, Combat Maneuvers, etc.

2)Thematic variations for existing mechanics options. E.g. New Believer sects, different interpretations of tough spots in character, the aspects of the blight, major loss groups,etc.

3)Major mechanics that change the plot and story of the game and it's setting.

I have had brief email conversation with Caleb about the possible avenues of publishing, but I won't go into the hubbub right now. Safe to say, I know how I can and cannot put this work out there.

The next few posts will be reserved for thread set-up/general information, but after that this is an input/updates thread.

I will attempt to start to get Google docs of working rules out for people who wish to play test what is already written. A number of base mechanics introduced in the supplement are already written and require play testing. This play testing is a WIP on the part of me and the groups I work with, so input on the mechanics in play is always appreciated.

Feel free to PM or email me if you have questions, or even ask them down below.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:43:18 PM by LordSkys »
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
Re: "Margins and Dividends" Supplement Thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 10:27:03 PM »
Current Outline of WIP Writing

Introduction
How to Use Margins and Dividends
Why Use Alternate Rules?
- Margins and Dividends in the Red Markets.
Canon and Red Markets
- Head and Design Canon
Boom and Bust Rules
The Story of Margins and Dividends
The Apostates
- From the Journals of the Apostates.

The Game Setting
The Loss
Discovered Enclaves
New Private Companies
Established Crews
Unknown Beliefs
New Abberants
A Shift in the Market
Optional Rules for the Setting
- How the Setting Changes
Example Setting Type: Technological Recession
Example Setting Type: Alien Invasion

Takers
Tough Spots
How Did You Survive?
Tough Spots From a New Angle
-Interpretation Matters
New Tough Spots
- Setting Changing Tough Spots
Gear
New Qualities
New Upgrades
New Gear
-Existing Gear in Different Settings
-Setting Specific Gear
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 08:39:54 PM by LordSkys »
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 10:27:16 PM »
Current List of Play Test Material

V1.# Total:
New Tough Spots (28 new)
New Believer Sects (2 New)
Tough Spot Interpretations (4 New)
Gear/Qualities (25 New)
Regrets (5 New)
Boom/Bust Rules (8 New)

V 1.0
New Tough Spots (18 new)
New Believer Sects (2 new)
Tough Spot Interpretations (3 new)
Boom/Bust Rules (5 new)

V1.1
New Tough Spots (8 New, 1 Revised)
Tough Spot Interpretation (1 New)
Gear/Qualities (6 New)
Regrets (5 New)
Boom/Bust Rules (4 New)

V1.2
Tough Spots (2 New)
Gear/Qualities (19 New)
Boom/Bust Rules (1 new)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:51:58 PM by LordSkys »

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:27:49 PM »
Current and Past Play Test Rules:

Current: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XtR-tDMTnaUc_2l2LTm9fgT17uHKcU6ypi7XnZIvwBI/edit?usp=sharing
Tough Spots
Quick Spots: (1 New)
Setting Spots: (1 New)
Gear
New Qualities: (3 New, 1 Revisited)
New Upgrades: (4 New)
Advanced Technology: (4 New, 2 Revisited)
Accessories and Kits: (5 New)
Healthcare and Drugs: (3 New)
Boom and Bust Rules
Bust Rules: (1 new)

Past:
V1.0
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Zw5IqKcX53GpElgY5IujO93yoCo5okShQq9YZKSgh4/edit?usp=sharing
Tough Spots
Quick Tough Spots (11 New)
Mechanical Spots (6 New)
Setting Spots (1 New)
Setting
New Believer Sects (2 New)
Tough Spot interpretations
Believer (2 New)
Steward (1 New)
Boom and Bust Rules
Boom Rules (1 New)
Bust Rules (3 New)

V 1.1
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I9Y0J2TgzWusMBTR2kMSBddJ3yw7g_NExzX8TVGrZ3g/edit?usp=sharing
Tough Spots
Mechanical Tough Spots (2 New, 1 Revised)
Regret Spots (6 New)
Tough Spot Interpretations
Bait (1 New)
Gear and Qualities
New Qualities (2 New)
Drugs and Healthcare (4 New)
Boom and Bust Rules
Boom Rules (4 New)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:58:45 PM by LordSkys »

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 11:20:01 PM »
Im interested, If you require a sounding board to workshop something Im online at least a few times each day.  ;),

an while my play groups not the most active, I have since developed quite a fondness for running solo games for myself to play-test character concepts and get a better feel for specific rules and how they interact.

+1 bounty for initiative.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 11:50:46 PM »
Im interested, If you require a sounding board to workshop something Im online at least a few times each day.  ;),

an while my play groups not the most active, I have since developed quite a fondness for running solo games for myself to play-test character concepts and get a better feel for specific rules and how they interact.

+1 bounty for initiative.

Thanks Dadalos!

I'll admit, the majority of this supplement will be based around player use rather than Market use, so solo running will be interesting.

The supplement will most likely be broken into a few main sections, much like the official Red Markets book.

Most of the mechanics will be posted here or talked about on here, but the first play test sheet will most likely be stuff I have posted on previous threads.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:56:33 PM by LordSkys »

VB3

• Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 03:58:33 AM »
+2 Bounty
Immune Be "Free".

Escaped the Loss Me.

Sell my Cache for Cash.

Tell no lies, accept no blame.

Croseus finally became my Fame.

BM@UBQ

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 01:35:56 AM »
Thread set up is done.

Plan to try and get the initial play test docs on here in the next couple days, if work/life allows.

I don't expect all of this to make the cut, or work out entirely. Here is a list of tentative items I have posted from previous threads, with the listed thread if possible, that will make up the bulk of the play test:

New Tough Spots (18 New. From Tough Spot Supplement HomebrewNew Tough Spot: Resistant, and Noodling Around with New Spot: Poor threads.)
New Believer Sects (2 New. From Children of Ubiquity - who's heard of them? thread.)
Tough Spot Interpretations (3 New. From Children of Ubiquity - who's heard of them? thread.)
Boom/Bust Rules (2 New. From Boom and Bust: Exemplary and Poor performance thread.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:04:58 PM by LordSkys »

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 05:27:35 PM »
Seems really cool, I agree 100% about how great the flexibility of the Profit System is. I'll do my best to keep up with your progress!
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 06:33:19 PM »
Seems really cool, I agree 100% about how great the flexibility of the Profit System is. I'll do my best to keep up with your progress!

Not gonna lie, that's some pretty high praise coming from you Freebird. Your RMBD was really got me interested in writing out my own supplement.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:57:32 PM by LordSkys »

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 03:55:28 PM »
Alrighty! The first play test document is officially up!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Zw5IqKcX53GpElgY5IujO93yoCo5okShQq9YZKSgh4/edit?usp=sharing

Feedback for any and all parts of the document are greatly appreciated.

The document is printer ready for anyone wishing to print of the rules written there.

I welcome any and all questions about the document, or it's content.

I also accept any form of grammar fix, or help with rewriting what is there to be more concise and make more sense in the next play test rules document.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 04:48:51 PM »
Downloading now, but as I just got to work I wont be able to read it till lunch  :D.

Look forward to giving it a read though.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

VB3

• Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 09:13:33 PM »
Downloaded and reading.

I like it Lord Skys V.

Look forward to further revisions of your RM supplement.
Immune Be "Free".

Escaped the Loss Me.

Sell my Cache for Cash.

Tell no lies, accept no blame.

Croseus finally became my Fame.

BM@UBQ

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 12:51:30 AM »
Downloaded and reading.

I like it Lord Skys V.

Look forward to further revisions of your RM supplement.

That's good to hear, glad for the feed back.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 01:43:54 AM »
Looking through RM, we see the effects of economic horror on the minds of Takers in the form of Regrets. For the next PTD (play test document), I am focusing on Regrets. I will be introducing a number of new insidious regrets for the crack and crumble regret lists; as well as a new Boom rule for Regrets that target the Taker more in day to day activities and allow them to learn from such regrets.

Let's talk about the boom rule. It will be based around giving players either a regret spot which can be used like a tough spot, or just allowing a taker to take a specific tough spot as part of their regret. It will open up more player individuality with mechanics, while making the effects of the regret more apparent. The regret spot will take thematically and mechanically appropriate tough spots and/or regrets and combine them into these new regret spots, which can only be taken after a regret.

The detriments will far out weigh the benefits, but they will be based around learning from psychological trauma, instead of just suffering.

The list of regrets will be expanding by a notable degree, though many are in the pre-public play testing stage.

Otherwise, patches and fixes from the feedback on V1.0 will also be in V2.0.

As always feedback is loved and appreciated!