Author Topic: "Margins and Dividends" Supplement Thread.  (Read 713 times)

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
Re: "Margins and Dividends" Supplement Thread.
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2019, 04:23:15 AM »
Okay, a few new items I added to the list. This is just a sneak peak without telling you all the mechanics behind them

Strider: boots with blade runners that enhance movement.
Roller Skates: They are what they say.
Aquatic Drone: A drone for under the great depths.
Quadruped Combat Artillery Drone: A heavily militarized land-based drone.
Treaded Drone: A small, all terrain assist drone.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
Alrighty guys, I am looking into a few logistical things with the CC right now. Until that is figured out, I am looking at Sunday evening (Eastern Daylight Time) to be the next release of a PTD!

Sorry for the wait, but we should finally be up and running again!
If everything gets sorted a more full PTD will be released, otherwise it will have to wait.
Here is a (tentative) overview of items.

Tentative V1.2
Tough Spots
Mechanical Spots: 3 (All Revised)
Setting Spots: 1 (New)
Gear
New Qualities: 2 (2 New)
New Upgrades: 1 (1 New)
Advanced Technology: 8 (6 New, 2 Revised)
Accessories and Kits: 1 (New)
Alternative Retirements
Base of Operations Building Rules: 18 (All new)
Alternative Rules
Bust Rules: 2 (1 New, 1 Revised)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:36:40 PM by LordSkys »
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2019, 11:42:35 PM »
Alrighty guys, I am looking into a few logistical things with the CC right now. Until that is figured out, I am looking at Sunday evening (Eastern Daylight Time) to be the next release of a PTD!

Sorry for the wait, but we should finally be up and running again!
If everything gets sorted a more full PTD will be released, otherwise it will have to wait.
Here is a (tentative) overview of items.

Tentative V1.2
Tough Spots
Mechanical Spots: 3 (All Revised)
Gear
New Qualities: 2 (2 New)
New Upgrades: 1 (1 New)
Advanced Technology: 8 (6 New, 2 Revised)
Accessories and Kits: 1 (New)
Alternative Retirements
Base of Operations Building Rules: 18 (All new)
Alternative Rules
Bust Rules: 2 (1 New, 1 Revised)

Slight problems with some mechanics have caused a delay in the release of the PTD. Luckily, it is here!

I do want to apologize for the briefness of it all, but I believe that all of the mechanics presented within are sturdy and public ready. Rest assured that V1.3 will hold all of the fixed up mechanics that are missing from the current PTD.

As I continue to create these PTDs i learn more and more about writing, and modify my writing styles.

Anyways, here is what we are looking at:

Play Test Document V1.2
Tough Spots
Quick Spots: 1 (New)
Gear
New Qualities: 4 (3 New, 1 Revisited)
New Upgrades: 4 (4 New)
Advanced Technology: 6 (4 New, 2 Revisited)
Accessories and Kits: 5 (5 New)
Healthcare and Drugs: 3 (3 New)
Alternative Rules
Bust Rules: 1 (1 new)

Margins and Dividends Play Test Document V1.2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XtR-tDMTnaUc_2l2LTm9fgT17uHKcU6ypi7XnZIvwBI/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:46:35 PM by LordSkys »

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »
Cool stuff so far, LordSky! It's funny, how several people all seem to have had the idea for upgrades that increase Upkeep cost at around the same time. :)
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2019, 07:47:52 PM »
Cool stuff so far, LordSky! It's funny, how several people all seem to have had the idea for upgrades that increase Upkeep cost at around the same time. :)

Not gonna lie, I couldn't figure out whether or not the ammo types actually counted as upgrades, since you can't really lose a type of ammo unless you lose all your ammo in the pack.

I decided to just simplify all of it into the Modification quality and forget about the rest. Then I expanded on it with some new items that have upgrades with the (mod) upgrade.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2019, 08:00:22 PM »
Alrighty, I'm attempting a new base building mechanic for a crew. The Base of Operations serves as a place for vignettes and work actions.
There will be rules both for creating a base of Operations and turning it into an enclave if so desired.

It will also open up a new type of milestone to create lasting benefits to takers who invest in this avenue of play/retirement

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2019, 04:47:37 PM »
This Base building guide may need to be a supplement of it's own, but here is what we are looking at.

First and foremost, a base of Operations is not always possible to maintain. Sure, someone who is fully dedicated to the upkeep and maintenance of their homestead can maintain a base with very little issue; but takers have other things to worry about. A Taker must go out, collect bounty, etc. Digging ditches and repairing frayed wires is precious time wasted compared to working on earning more on the next job.

Cost of a Base
A Base of Operations costs one milestone per Taker to bring online.
A Base of Operations costs a given number of two specific work actions based upon the number of people living within the base. A Base also uses bounty, as they are the beginning of economic systems within the base. If a base is only made up of a crew and their dependants, it only takes two work actions to maintain all parts of the base.

The cost of maintaining a base is abstracted into bounty. A bounty for an enclave is the same as a bounty for a singular taker.

Required Base Work Actions
Clear Casualties: As a work action, a taker may clear Casualties from the base armaments. This requires a check on some sort of combat skill. There is always one required Clear Casualties action in between jobs; and an additional Clear Casualties work action required for every five Personnel Units at a Base.
Critical Success: Spend no charges from your gear, and can make a scavenge check for bounty.
Success: Spend no charges from your gear.
Failure: Spend charges equal to R
Critical Failure: A mob gets within the fence, you get bit, or a piece of gear gets mangled/lost while working.

Maitenance: Maitenance is essential for a base to function. Bases must be maintained. Trash must be thrown out, fields plowed, ditches dug, waste managed, water collected, armories replenished, defenses repaired, wires spliced, etc. In full Enclaves these things may be managed by the enclave.
This action requires no rolls, it only takes up space in the Work/Life Balance of the Takers. An additional Maitenance action is required for every 10 Personnel Units at a base.

What are Personnel Units?
The number of people living within a base of Operations are abstracted into Personnel units. Each unit fall into one of five main categories:
Takers: Each taker unit is made up of a single taker PC and their dependants. A unit has no bounty cost to a base, because it is paid off with a Taker's sustenance costs.
Squatters: Squatters are the poor and desperate. While giving shelter to such a people may make you feel better, they provide nothing and are a drain on your resources. A base has -1 Bounty per squatter unit.
Citizens: Citizens pay taxes and stimulate trade within a base. They still drain resources, and so they usually find an equilibrium. A Base has -1 Bounty per Citizen, and makes 0-2 bounty per Citizen unit.
Employee: Employees are paid for their work within a base, but they provide essential functions that relieve the Takers of their duties within the base. -1 Bounty per Employee unit.
Specialty: Specialty Units are in, one way or another, special. Each special unit has specific applications within a base.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »
Each session, the market rolls in secret. For each citizen unit, the Takers gain a given number of bounty; after Personnel costs are accounted for. Since the Takers do not know the roll results, they may not spend Will on it.
Critical Success: Boom- Gain two bounty for each citizen unit.
Success: Equilibrium- Gain one bounty for each citizen unit.
Failure: Bust- Gain no bounty from citizens.
Critical Failure: Gain no bounty from citizens, R/2 citizen units become temporary squatter units. (Until next session)

Each unit type is successively more specialized than the last.

Extra Work Actions

A taker may make one of the following work actions, given that all Clear Casualties and Maitenance work actions are accounted for.

Influence Trade: A Taker rolls deception to increase speculation and movement within the market.
Critical Success: Boom- Gain two bounty for each citizen unit.
Success: Equilibrium- Gain one bounty for each citizen unit.
Failure: Bust- Gain no bounty from citizens.
Critical Failure: Lose 1 bounty per citizen unit.

Remove Squatters: A Taker rolls up and gets the Squatters to shove off. Use intimidation to remove a number of Squatters as given below. Add the number of squatter units to the red die and the number of employee/Taker units to the black die.
Critical Success: Remove a number of squatter units equal to natural Black result OR half the modified black.(Player choice)
Success: Remove a number of squatter units equal to half the natural Black result.
Failure: Remove no squatter units.
Critical Failure: Squatters use an additional number of resources equal to the modified red die OR lose one squatter unit, which becomes R/2 Vectors OUTSIDE the base. This becomes an emergency situation that all takers must respond to.

Hire Temporary Labor: Use a sensitivity check to attempt to recruit people from the inside work force.
Critical Success: Temporarily convert B in squatters to citizens or B in citizens to employees. (Until next session)
Success: Temporarily convert B/2 in squatters to citizens or B/2 in citizens to employees.
Failure: Unable to convert any prospective personnel.
Critical Failure: Resources were wasted on the individuals. Lose R/2 Bounty OR lose one citizen/employee unit to another enclave/base.

Attract Personnel: Use persuasion to attract permanent residents.
Critical Success: 1 Specialty Unit OR convert B/2 squatter units into citizen units.
Success: 1 Employee OR Citizen unit
Failure: R/2 Squatter units.
Critical Failure: A hostile or dangerous group comes. (Latents, Raiders, Cultists, Stewards, rival takers, etc)

Advertise Work: Attract a temporary specialty unit using networking.
Critical Success: Attract two units of your choice OR find one unit within any of your Personnel (permanently becomes that specialty unit)
Success: Attract one unit of your choice.
Failure: Attract none.
Critical Failure: Attract R/2 Squatters.

Restructure Base: Use leadership to restructure which Personnel are what.
Critical Success: Convert B Personnel from one unit type to another. This may be an increase in power or a trade in their employment/specialty type. Each such trade or movement is at a 1:1 trade.
Success:Convert B/2 Personnel from one unit type to another. This may be an increase in power or a trade in their employment/specialty type. Each such trade or movement is at a 1:1 trade.
Failure: Convert 1 Personnel from one unit type to another. This may be an increase in power or a trade in their employment/specialty type. Each such trade or movement is at a 1:1 trade.
Critical Failure: Personnel restructuring confused trade/enclave life. R/2 Units move down specialization ladder.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:05:43 PM by LordSkys »

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2019, 05:34:20 PM »
Sorry if this all seems a little messy, just trying to get my ideas straight. Basically, this all leads into the actual benefits of having a base, beyond retirement into a mechanically living community

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2019, 03:59:58 PM »
I designed two new Tough Spots today, and I'm trying to gage their balance here. Need another set of eyes on it.

Devastated
You were never meant to come back out here. Whether it is a mental illness, genetic predisposition, or bad luck; you find yourself between a rock and a hard place. Luckily, you only made it this far because you had a way out.

Temporary Work
You have one less retirement goal.

Lifetime of Pain
Choose a single Crumble Regret. While you do not start the game with any regrets filled in on your character sheet, you function as if you have that regret. You may not choose that regret if you later crumble in a humanity threat.

Wisher
As some form of coping mechanism, you have a small store of humanity that you can tap into. This extra source ties you to the very horrors you witness. People might believe you to be a roach, or just a lifer; Takers know you as a Wisher, someone whose deathwish is what lets them survive.

Bottle It Up
You have a fourth Humanity threat, Identity. You may split any humanity damage (except instant regrets) between Identity and the threat the damage targets.

Until You Die
To use a point of Will, you must make a Self-Control check against Identity; of equitable level to the significance of the use, as determined by the Market.
In addition, while you can get your dependants out of the loss, you cannot retire.Your character can only escape the Loss through the jaws of death or total loss of humanity. Mechanically, your Taker can complete all retirement milestones, but they cannot retire.