Author Topic: Queries on Starvation and Rations  (Read 511 times)

Aerospider

• Bait
    • View Profile
Queries on Starvation and Rations
« on: August 09, 2019, 12:24:31 PM »
Does starving come about from running out of ration charges?

If so, is this avoided by the free SPD refresh in the gassed rules? Can other takers give a starving athletics-focused PC ration charges to keep them fed?

Or is it only a narrative thing separate to ration charges?
E.g. "All your food's been stolen. You can keep your ration charges (for all the meals you've been eating) but no ADP refresh and if you don't find more by tomorrow you'll be taking stun damage."

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
Re: Queries on Starvation and Rations
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 12:16:48 AM »
Basically the "refresh rations equal to SPD" thing is where the body is breaking down acids and fats in the body to power yourself. The body itself is starving, and your body is breaking down whatever it can to fuel you. While exercising, the digestive system slows to a halt, so even after a large meal this can occur. This is how extreme weight loss occurs in those that are starving, as well as those that work out for extended periods of time.

This form of exercise is endurance based. It is about outlasting rather than going fastest. It's why we work so well as hunters, since we don't have to rely on conserving energy; we literally run our prey to death.

It also works in return. As long as the initial jump doesn't get us, we can run longer and farther than the thing hunting us.

By the time a character could be truly "could die from" starving, you would have already gone into monologuing/cutscenes time.

I would go into a whole speel about ATP and ADP (the chemical) and the three separate forms of exercise, including the two that come before this one, but that would be boring. I will link an article though.

https://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/exercise/sports-physiology1.htm
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Negative Entropy

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 01:46:46 PM »
What's a more descriptive word than gassed?
Is it like exhausted?
I think it's a regional slang because none of my players have heard of it and it's confusing as to what's happening?

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 05:47:56 PM »
It's like... Well sorta like exhaustion. It's muscle fatigue mixed up with a shortage of expendable calories. A quick rest lets you replenish yourself a little. If you've ever heard the saying "running on fumes" I'm pretty sure it is a direct correlation to the saying.

Also, there are starving rules in game. Each day since you run out of rations/refresh you take one stun to each location per day without food.

Day 0: Run outta refresh&rations
Day 1: 1Stun to each location.
Day 2: 2 Stun to each location. (3 Total)
Day 3: 3Stun
Etc.

Remember that extra stun converts into kill damage once all stun is filled, meaning a character would starve by day 6. (1+2+3+4 is all stun. Day five and six are each effectively kill damage, which would mean the head is killled
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:00:13 PM by LordSkys »
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Aerospider

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 11:21:28 PM »
It's the starvation combining with loss of rations that I'm struggling with. The ration charges aren't literal energy bars, which is why you can use them in combat, so it doesn't seem to square with the notion of 0 rations = 0 food. If a taker burns all their ration charges on the first leg, am I meant to ignore the abstract side and tell the player he's already scoffed all the food he brought for the trip?

Other takers can share food (I can't see how to deny it narratively) so are ration charges shareable (and therefore essentially communal)?

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 11:58:59 PM »
If you 'burn' a charge it represents food something that you've already eaten, Avoiding the whole 'I'm eating power bars' in combat issue. If it has not been burned the charge is shareable because it represents food that has not yet been consumed. if you can share it then it can be stolen.

at least this is the logical conclusion me and my fellows have followed an so your mileage may vary, but it seems like the simplest rational that satisfys all points of the discussion.

Schrodinger's snacks
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."