Author Topic: Starting a Campaign with Two Players  (Read 4907 times)

woodorwoods

• Bait
    • View Profile
Starting a Campaign with Two Players
« on: November 13, 2019, 03:43:56 AM »
Hey, I’m new to the forums as well as Red Markets. I have two friends interested in playing a campaign of Red Markets. Both are very experienced players, but like me they’re completely new to the game. Any advice on running two players? I feel like overall it will be fine, but negotiations seem like they might be a little tricky with only two players.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 03:20:45 PM by woodorwoods »

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a Campaign with Two Players
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 11:46:04 PM »
Howdy, I have done a number of solo games and my own crew is only 3 players and myself as the market so I have a bit of experiance with smaller games.

One recommendation (especially for negotiations) is to hire a 'fixer' to handle negotiations. Its an additional cost but in the long run works out quite well. Another recommendation would be for them both to pick up some skill with firearms and to carry a silenced weapon of some kind. hand guns are cheap and rather cost effective options that noone of my players will leave the enclave without. another is to consider transportation for a small crew bikes seem to be a solid investment. Depending on the jobs they land Exploiting legs for extra bounty might also be more important to them as they wont have the man power to capitalize on some of the larger jobs.

other then that youll have to kinda sort out your tables style into boom and bust rules and how you approch 'the loss'. another factor might include where in the country you are. places in the south and west have higher populations and more Casulties as a result. but in the north you run into more bandits and farmer enclaves. further west there are fewer DHQS encounters but when you see them they are there for a specific reason.

Im online to check in on the forums every day and If i can help I definitely will. GLHF and keep us posted. always good to see someone else getting started.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

woodorwoods

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »
Thank you, Dadalos. This is very helpful information. It's good to know that other people have played with smaller groups. I just had this fear that having only two players might make the game less enjoyable. I think I'm going to go with the hiring a negotiator as the first step. Through play, we can adjust play style with the boom and bust rules.

I'll post an update once we play our first session. In the meantime, I'm going to run the Quickstart Telluride scenario for a group of friends. I'll probably post about that one as well.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 11:58:35 PM »
ericbright2002 created and shared a very nice web-tool kit that I find particularly helpful. It can do many dice rolls and contract generation and a few other things that allow someone like myself to run solo games and not feel like im spoiling anything to myself by building my own jobs.

http://playeveryrole.com/RMapp.html
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

woodorwoods

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 01:17:29 AM »
Thank you! I’ll definitely check this out.