Author Topic: Homebrew Gear and Upgrades Thread  (Read 1868 times)

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
Homebrew Gear and Upgrades Thread
« on: June 10, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
Hey guys. I am working a number of homebrew items meant to cover different pieces not addressed by the game. If it fits better as a new item, then we can stat it all out, otherwise if it works better as an upgrade we will make it that.

I will have a master list google doc linked below, so feel free to post about the items and please give input.

Please do not post in this thread unless the post directly relates to these items or the thread itself. Thanks.

Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KTiPiH33hfNk8THCyXBnuQzHoPRrK0Cyf4EKrSIXek0/edit?usp=sharing

RMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRM

Portable Hand Crank     Upkeep 3     Charges 10
DescriptionThe portable hand crank performs all your energy needs... for small devices that run on batteries.
Effect You may spend a charge to regain a single charge on a selected electronic device you have (Laptop/Datapad, Ubiq Specs, Flashlight, etc.). Spending a charge takes a number of Rounds as given on an athletics check. (Minimum 1 round. E.g. B6+2/R5 = 1 round, B3+2/R7 = 2 rounds)
Qualities
Manpower - Spend rations as charges.
Hungry - You must spend 2 charges for every 1 charge provided.
Fragile - A missed upkeep or any damage permanently disables the device.
Wear N' Tear - Each successful use costs one charge (not a ration).
Upgrades
Durable - Buys off the Fragile quality. Damage dealt now eats into remaining charges (not rations).
Sturdy - Buys off Wear N' Tear.
Optimized - Buys off Hungry.
Battery Pack - The Hand Crank may hold onto a single charge for an electronic device, and may transfer the charge to the item using a tactic. The Hand Crank permanently loses one charge.
DHQS Issue - Requires the Durable and Sturdy upgrades. The Hand Crank gains the Static and In Demand qualities.

RMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRM

My next idea is a better, optional backpack that is more customizable, which would be in addition, and more expensive than, the normal game's backpack.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:44:50 AM by LordSkys »
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
Re: Homebrew Gear and Upgrades Thread - Weekly Updates
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 02:14:34 AM »
Cool stuff! Here's something that I put together for Red Markets Black Death that I think can be adaptable to standard Red Markets:

Rope Kit - Upkeep 1

Description
A long length of rope with attached bits of hardware.

Effect
Allows skill checks for various Task Actions: Athletics to climb or descend surfaces (an un-upgraded kit requires a second Taker to spend a Ration to act as a belayer); Mechanics to tie knots and improvise rope structures; criminality to restrain a captive, etc. Appropriate Profession skills may allow more creative uses.

Qualities
Wear n' Tear
Capped
Manpower
Hungry

Upgrades
Rugged - Buys off Hungry.
Climbing Gear - spend an extra Ration to automatically succeed on Athletics checks to climb or descend.
Grappling Hook - no belayer needed to climb or descend.
Snap Hooks - spend a charge to automatically succeed on Mechanics checks to secure loads.
Block and Tackle - Double Resistance score on checks to lift loads.
Ladder Rigging - make a Ladder as a Tactic instead of a Task Action.

Looking for improvements. Tell me what you think!
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Gorkamorka

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »
Here are some things I have put in other places on the net:

Chainsaw:
Upkeep 3
Charges ooooo ooooo
Effect: Kill damage
Qualities
Charged: Charges can be spent in addition to buy-a-roll to aid check
Cumbersome: Can’t be quick drawn
Hungry: two Charges must be spent for every one used
Loud
Manpower: spend rations to buy-a-roll
Messy: Any sucksessfull use agains Vector/Casualty causes anyone in melee range to have to make infection checks
Requires prep: Takes one action to start before it can be used.
Specialized: (Melee: Chain-Saw)
Tool: Charges can be used to aid some scavenge and mechanic checks at Markets discretion
Potent: add +1 Kill damage
Uppgrades:
Hybrid: Buys of Hungry.
Upgraded motor: charges may be spent after the check for additional damage

Halberd/Dane Axe
Upkeep 1
Charges ooooo ooooo
Effect: Kill damage
Qualities
Cumbersome: Can’t be quick drawn
Manpower: spend rations to buy-a-roll
Melee
Reach: weapon can attack Casualties from one Shamble away
Specialized: (Melee: Halberd/Dane Axe)
Uppgrades: Spearhead: weapon can hold a casualty or Vector in place for a Resistance check
Sturdy: buys off wear ‘n tear
Weighted: Spend a Charge on the weapon for knockback
Potent: Add +1 Kill damage

Drone Upgrade
Grenade dropper: Drone can carry and drop a single grenade. Uses Pilot Drone skill to aim. Grenades sold seperatly

Drone Upgrade
Casualty herder . Airhorn and flashing light is attached to drone. Will attract any casualties in the area away from most other chooses. Only very loud or very near victims will tempt the casualties more.

Fridrik

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:30:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

I love the idea of the chain saw, a (highly infectious) classic for the genre.  ;) Maybe a splatter shield or protective hand shield upgrade could allow for the user (but not others in melee range) to avoid infection checks. Also, potent should definitely be an upgrade, not just a quality; though it may be appropriate to give it a quality where it can disable a body part when dealing more than half the damage it would require normally to disable a body part.

Looking at the halberd, it may work better just as an upgrade for the spear that would be the same as the Weighted upgrade you gave the halberd. If the only big advantage is one separate upgrade, it may work better to either flavor another item and/or add that upgrade to the pre-existing list.

The drone upgrade Grenade Dropper should be very specific to grenades, flashbangs, and ddj's with the appropriate upgrade. Also, while it is probably a given, the Whisper Drive upgrade should be a requirement for the Casualty Herder upgrade.

It would make sense if the rope kit had the Sturdy upgrade available (heavy duty survival paracord vs hempen rope kind of deal) and could have an upgrade called Nanotube Composite, which could give it the in demand and/or static qualities and require Sturdy.

I will not have access to the doc until this weekend, (yay travel!) but I love what is going so far. For the list I will add Chainsaw, Drone upgrades, and rope kit for sure. Along with possibly the halberd upgrade and the other upgrades I wrote about. The improved backpack will also be up this weekend.

Thanks again and keep sending in stuff. I also have an idea for portable solar panels that I would love some suggestions for, something about having them interact/rely on legs.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Laughing Penguin

• Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »
I had a similar idea that I had posted to Reddit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedMarkets/comments/846yc1/gear_proposal_thread/

I think the bits mentioned there that aren't here already that I liked best were the Hazmat Suit and some gear upgrades

Hazmat Suit
Upkeep: 5 for purchase purposes only
Charges:
Effect: Protects the taker from any liquid or gaseous substances that could cause harm, including blight-infected objects.

Qualities
Clunky: Stealth checks at default only; no skill bonus
Hooded: +2 to the natural Red die for all Awareness checks
Hampering: takes up one Haul and one Refresh while equipped or carried
In Demand: cannot be refreshed, but costs no upkeep after purchase
Contextual
Fragile: gear breaks with a single hit as the suit gets breached

Upgrades (DHQS issue?)
Lash Mic: has embedded communications equipment that provides radio contact
Custom Tailored: removes the hampering quality
Padded: buys off the clunky quality
Headlamp: attached flashlight allows for Awareness checks in darkness

Rifle Upgrade: Grenade Launcher
Allows you to fire a grenade without using a twitch action to change weapons. Skill to use becomes Firearms instead of Athletics, grenades become long range. Uses grenades as ammo, purchased separately. Qualities: Capped and Single Shot.

Knife Upgrade: Bayonet/Mountable
Allows you to use a knife as a bayonet, allowing a melee attack with your rifle without using a twitch action to change weapons. All other knife qualities apply.

Club Upgrade: Crowbar/Tool
Like a lockpick adds to chances to unlock a door, a Crowbar adds +1 to Resistance checks to break down or force open doors and similar. Perhaps include the Manpower quality as well?

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 06:08:01 PM »
Backpack is completed, along with a sample for the Atmosphere-Laden Industries Artifical Companion,or AtLad for short.

RMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRM

Improved Backpack     Upkeep 3     Charges 10
Description Some people before the Crash were fanatics of hiking, backpacking, camping, and other outdoor activities. They had backpacks custom made to be more durable and for more extensive outings.
Effect Allows a taker to carry up to his Strength +1 in Haul and up to his Adaption +1 in Refresh.
Qualities
Clunky- Stealth checks are made at roll..
Sound Maker- When all charges are lost, used, and/or marked off; this bag gains the loud quality.
Modular- The backpack can be repaired by paying 1 bounty for each charge.
Customizable- For each modification (mod) permanently mark off a single charge.
In Demand- The item can only be found, not made. The item cannot be refreshed, but costs no upkeep after purchase.
Upgrades
Improved Weight Distribution- The taker may carry an additional 1 haul for each point of strength, but the bag permanently loses one unspent charge for each haul past the normal maximum, and is considered loud (once per leg) when overweight. The bag loses these if no longer over encumbered.
Harness (mod)- The bag doubles as a harness when used on a rope kit.
Food Pouch (mod)- May spend charges as rations.
Padded- Removes the clunky quality, and it no longer gains the loud quality when all charges are spent and/or carrying more than max haul.
Power Bank (mod)- May spend charges from the backpack rather than from an electronic device (such as a drone, Ubiq specs, datapad, AtLad, or similar small item).
Repair Kit (mod)- The backpack can be refreshed, and five charges are regained for every 1 bounty spent.

RMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRM

AtLad Companion     Upkeep 4     Charges 10
Description The latest in AI technology, the AtLad Industries Companion was just days from hitting the market when the Crash began. The AtLad was the very first robotic companion, meant to be used as a dog or cat would be used, but with more versatile applications. They came in a variety of designs, and could be programmed for more.
Effects A small quadruped drone with movement as a dog and/or small monkey.
Qualities
Apps- for each app (app) permanently mark off a single charge. Using Apps requires charges.
Energy Unit- When the AtLad has no charges left, it cannot be used. It takes 1 charge to run the AtLad for a day.
Fragile- Kill damage permanently disables the device.
Loud- Attracts zombies when used.
Clunky- Makes Stealth checks at roll.
Hungry- It takes two charges for every one charge required.
Upgrades
ScavengR (app)- Makes a scavenging check in addition to party members, at owner's skill -2.
Stealth Drive (app)- No longer make Stealth checks at roll.
AffectionAid (app): Aids on applicable persuasion and humanity checks as decided by market.
BliteAlert (app): +2 on Awareness checks to notice vectors and casualties.
Live Feed (app)- The AtLad can connect directly to your Ubiq Specs or Datapad for easy use and streaming, along with a microphone and speaker. Effective up to 100 meters.
Quiet Servos- Loses the Loud quality.
Harness- Can carry 1 haul.
Prehensile Tail- Can carry a single item that is not clunky or cumbersome.
Defense Matrix- loses the Fragile quality. Kill damage eats into remaining charges.
Reserves- The AtLad consumes half as many charges to run for a day (or none if optimized).
Optimized- buys off Hungry.
Autocomplete Algorithm- No longer tied to owner’s initiative,and can act whenever the owner’s free action is used.

RMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRMRM

I have revised stuff for chainsaw and rope kit, and put them on the google doc along with the drone upgrades.

I like the hazmat suit, and I will try to think of things that would work well for it. I think the hooded quality should be rephrased to a -2 on the natural black die rather than a +2 on the natural red. It always made more sense to keep the red unchanged by players and the black able to be modified by players, with vice versa for the market. Also a modular upgrade which would allow you to replace certain pieces (charges) and replace the fragile quality with the breakable quality (if charges are missing the suits main effect doesn't apply.

Let's keep this stuff going, even if you don't have specifics on how it would work. If you have an idea you just can't get to work, put it in the feed to look at.

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 01:55:11 AM »
Cool stuff! My inclination on the Rope Kit is to not have an upgrade to buy off Wear 'n Tear, since no matter how nice your rope is it's always going to wear out over time. And with no Wear 'n Tear, the charges are essentially meaningless unless you start cutting bits of rope off of it. That's admittedly a fairly Bust perspective, though.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »
i think that backpack is too good, being able to provide rations and electricity AND provide extra haul, and I think the handcrank should cost less since you still gotta use athletics checks to get charges.
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

One Bounty. Two Crypto

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 11:13:12 PM »
Portable Solar Cell.

Capped, hungry, fragile, clunky,
Burn a charge to refresh an electronic device. Once the charges are gone, it takes a session without the device to recharge the battery *and* it costs a Dependant's action-it cannot be refreshed via adaptability.

Basically, since Little Timmy is watching your solar cell so it recharges and doesn't get damaged, he gives you no Humanity. He's done you a favor already.

Upgrades available
 Optimized (buys off Hungry)
Field Issue (buys off Fragile)
Efficient (smaller sized; buys off Clunky)

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 09:52:08 PM »
I like the idea, but that seems a little over powered, solely because that's 5 refreshes. I like the idea of humanity being used in exchange, but for that kind of item it doesn't make sense to me. Plus if you have 3+ dependants and two cells, that's an easy 5 extra refresh per session.

I do like the idea of the mechanic, but maybe also make upkeep really high.

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 12:03:37 PM »
I like the idea, but that seems a little over powered, solely because that's 5 refreshes. I like the idea of humanity being used in exchange, but for that kind of item it doesn't make sense to me. Plus if you have 3+ dependants and two cells, that's an easy 5 extra refresh per session.

I do like the idea of the mechanic, but maybe also make upkeep really high.

By capped, I was thinking that it can only refresh any given device once per session.  So one extra refresh on up to five devices; still five refresh, though, so Upkeep is at least 5.  That puts the purchase price at 10 bounty, making this cost the same as a stat increase or half of a milestone.  Also making 2 cells problematic; if you have two of these things, you've literally delayed escape to buy them, so you might take Humanity hits as your family does the math...

Gator

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 11:41:11 AM »
Survival Poncho

Upkeep: 2
Charges: 10

All-weather poncho designed to keep the wearer dry in the rain, warm in the cold and cool in the beating sun. May spend charges on the poncho to convert/negate damage from environmental sources (as Armor).

Qualities:
Clunky (No skill bonus, Stealth checks at default)
In Demand (Can’t be refreshed, no upkeep)

Upgrades:
Synthetic weave (Buys off Clunky)
Urban Camo (+1 bonus to Stealth in urban settings—cannot stack with other Camo)
Forest Camo (+1 bonus to Stealth in forest settings—cannot stack with other Camo)
Tundra Camo (+1 bonus to Stealth in tundra settings—cannot stack with other Camo)
Desert Camo (+1 bonus to Stealth in desert settings—cannot stack with other Camo)

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 11:00:42 PM »
the poncho is nice, I could see it being 1 Upkeep though
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

One Bounty. Two Crypto

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 05:39:28 AM »
Survival Poncho is really cool, and I understand where you are coming from with the portable solar cell upkeep & dependants. It really has grown on me.

I was thinking maybe the solar cell would double the upkeep of the dependant when watching the item, since they don't really interact with your character as much, so the extra bit to the vignette makes sense as a make-up gift kind of thing. I think in between the doubled upkeep and loss of humanity healing source, any item that would have this quality could be about this powerful.

Maybe the Survival Poncho can get a repair kit-style upgrade so it loses in demand, which would mean that it can now be patched (refreshed) and has upkeep (buying repair supplies).

Also, since this wouldn't be armor, but in addition to/over armor, would say the Poncho might make sense to have hungry; with the heavy duty upgrade to buy of hungry. It would make sense to make the upkeep 1 if this were the case.

I was also thinking a saddle blanket upgrade could allow you to use the poncho on a horse, or maybe a hound friendly upgrade could make you apply it to your dog. Idea being spreading the love to other ground-bound organics you have.

You guys are so awesome helping to make / straight up making these really cool unique items, and the in put from people on thought process without the arguments is amazing as well.   :D

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 12:08:38 PM »
Survival Poncho is really cool, and I understand where you are coming from with the portable solar cell upkeep & dependants. It really has grown on me.

I was thinking maybe the solar cell would double the upkeep of the dependant when watching the item, since they don't really interact with your character as much, so the extra bit to the vignette makes sense as a make-up gift kind of thing. I think in between the doubled upkeep and loss of humanity healing source, any item that would have this quality could be about this powerful.

doubling the upkeep of a dependant would just add one, wouldn't it?  well I guess if you're Bait, but how would you get the charger? Drone it in weekly?

One Bounty. Two Crypto