Author Topic: Homebrew Gear and Upgrades Thread  (Read 1820 times)

Gator

• Bait
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Gear and Upgrades Thread - Weekly Updates
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 12:38:54 PM »
Maybe the Survival Poncho can get a repair kit-style upgrade so it loses in demand, which would mean that it can now be patched (refreshed) and has upkeep (buying repair supplies).

I think maybe giving it the Modular upgrade option could also work in this regard.

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »
Here are some things I have put in other places on the net:

Chainsaw:
Upkeep 3
Charges ooooo ooooo
Effect: Kill damage
Qualities
Charged: Charges can be spent in addition to buy-a-roll to aid check
Cumbersome: Can’t be quick drawn
Hungry: two Charges must be spent for every one used
Loud
Manpower: spend rations to buy-a-roll
Messy: Any sucksessfull use agains Vector/Casualty causes anyone in melee range to have to make infection checks
Requires prep: Takes one action to start before it can be used.
Specialized: (Melee: Chain-Saw)
Tool: Charges can be used to aid some scavenge and mechanic checks at Markets discretion
Potent: add +1 Kill damage
Uppgrades:
Hybrid: Buys of Hungry.
Upgraded motor: charges may be spent after the check for additional damage

considering how much is against a chainsaw, and surely it isn't really a good weapon choice, I think it should be Kill/Stun damage, and You should be able to buy Potent up to 3 times.
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

One Bounty. Two Crypto

Gorkamorka

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 02:04:52 PM »
Chainsaw:
Upkeep 3

considering how much is against a chainsaw, and surely it isn't really a good weapon choice, I think it should be Kill/Stun damage, and You should be able to buy Potent up to 3 times.

Have you used a Chainsaw on a tree.  They do not make good weapons.
Fridrik

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 05:57:53 PM »
They're wonderful against the things they were designed to but, horrible to use on anything else.  But pop-culture says that they are good weapons for zombie killin', so it seems inevitable that there would eventually be rules for it *despite* logic and physics saying otherwise.

Diskhotep

• Bait
  • Bounty: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 08:40:42 PM »
They're wonderful against the things they were designed to but, horrible to use on anything else.  But pop-culture says that they are good weapons for zombie killin', so it seems inevitable that there would eventually be rules for it *despite* logic and physics saying otherwise.

I'm pretty sure chainsaws were responsible for numerous outbreaks thanks to the Romero Effect. Considering the massive amount of flying gore one would cause if actually used on a casualty, I'd be surprised if anyone survived their "Evil Dead" homage unless they were already latent or immune.

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 09:22:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure chainsaws were responsible for numerous outbreaks thanks to the Romero Effect. Considering the massive amount of flying gore one would cause if actually used on a casualty, I'd be surprised if anyone survived their "Evil Dead" homage unless they were already latent or immune.

Unnatural selection at its finest. Weed out the unwise, because not only are you causing gore shower, you're ringing the dinner bell for every Casualty within earshot.

Gorkamorka

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 06:53:46 AM »
Chainsaw:
Upkeep 3

To deal with your question.  I think the "Upgraded motor: charges may be spent after the check for additional damage" is more then enough in stead of "potent +3".
Kill/Stunn I don't think it matters.  Except maby against some aberants and vectors. Because casulties are one hitt one kill anyway.

Fridrik

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 05:45:31 PM »

I have to agree 100%, for me the noise and the gore spray remove them as anything but the absolute last ditch option. even then id be tempted to scavenge for a club before reaching for the chainsaw no matter how upgraded.  ;)
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 06:18:20 PM »
I have to agree 100%, for me the noise and the gore spray remove them as anything but the absolute last ditch option. even then id be tempted to scavenge for a club before reaching for the chainsaw no matter how upgraded.  ;)

There is always *one* player who will go for it, one player who will go loud when s/he should go stealthy. This is the player who'll take the saw; if you don't know who it is in your group, say "Dammit ____" and whomever's name fills that blank is the chainsaw-user.

I can only picture one real scenario where the fully upgraded chainsaw is a viable option in this game, and even that is a stretch:
"Everything's gone totally wrong.  We need someone to go that direction, make a lot of noise, lure off the horde of Casualties and potentially die in the most gruesome way possible."
"Gimme the Husqvarna.  I'm going out like an action hero!"

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 04:58:28 PM »
There is always *one* player who will go for it, one player who will go loud when s/he should go stealthy. This is the player who'll take the saw; if you don't know who it is in your group, say "Dammit ____" and whomever's name fills that blank is the chainsaw-user.

yea i know exactly whose name fills in that blank for our little group XD.

I can only picture one real scenario where the fully upgraded chainsaw is a viable option in this game, and even that is a stretch:
"Everything's gone totally wrong.  We need someone to go that direction, make a lot of noise, lure off the horde of Casualties and potentially die in the most gruesome way possible."
"Gimme the Husqvarna.  I'm going out like an action hero!"

and yes that is about the only senerio that id say that the saw is a viable pick, but id be sore to say its a better option then say a screaming Nade, or a shotgun even. one of the benefits of the screamer is that you have more of them and theres no upkeep past the initial buy and could be used in other situations other then your hero last stand moment XD. but, if your a latent / Mune and the thought of wading into a mob of C's with a saw going full tilt who am I to say thats wrong  ;D. after all eather way it works out thats going to be a hell of a story to share.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Negative Entropy

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 04:50:23 AM »
Sled
Upkeep 1

Effect:
+2 haul

Qualities:
Terrain specific. Snow only. 
Tool
Bulky : If carried doubles ration use, takes two haul.

Upgrades :
Wheels.

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Gear and Upgrades Thread
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 03:09:01 AM »
Two drone upgrades, in honor of Veblen Goods coming out soon. One I have had for a while but never put on the thread, the other is new:

Light (Chassis): Drone does not use up a refresh from the Hampering quality. Cannot be combined with any other chassis upgrade.

Swarm (Chassis): The drone is now a number of smaller drones interconnected on a single network. Removes the fragile quality. Cannot be combined with any other chassis upgrade.

Beemail is now a (Chassis) upgrade.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 03:12:13 AM by LordSkys »
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 11:12:33 PM »
Swarm (Chassis): The drone is now a number of smaller drones interconnected on a single network. Removes the fragile quality. Cannot be combined with any other chassis upgrade.

Im digging the swarm chassis. one of the reasons ive never run a drone / dronkey / pet centric char is the risk of losing something thats a serious investment. this makes at least drones that much more appealing to me, might have to give it a shot.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2019, 04:14:40 AM »

Im digging the swarm chassis. one of the reasons ive never run a drone / dronkey / pet centric char is the risk of losing something thats a serious investment. this makes at least drones that much more appealing to me, might have to give it a shot.

I copied this down wrong. This also gave it the Hungry quality, since it is more power extensive to network multiple small drones and, y'know, literally use more drones.

So the actual text should be:

Swarm (Chassis): The drone is now a number of smaller drones interconnected on a single network. Removes the fragile quality, and adds the hungry quality. Cannot be combined with any other chassis upgrade.

Also, I originally made the Light Chassis to remove hampering, before I realized it made Beemail useless. I'm wondering if something like "Efficient Chassis" might be better.

I hate the hampering quality, because while it streamlines the system, it is a big thing. I always felt like hampering effecting refresh and haul was a bit much. Thus, for some of my homebrew items I separated hampering into two separate qualities:
Drain: -1 Refresh.
Unweildy: -1 Haul
That being said, drones would still have both. Beemail would remove Unweildy, and Efficient would remove Drain.

New, and most likely final, Chassis:

Adaptive (Chassis): Gives a static +1 bonus on Profession (Drones) checks. Cannot be combined with any other chassis upgrade.

I also think that Dronkeys would also have chassis upgrades, but I think they would get two or maybe even three. I would have to figure out if any of them already available are gonna be chassis upgrades. My thoughts are that Armored definitely will be a chassis, maybe Weapons Platform.
Stealth Servos definitely will not be a Chassis upgrade, mostly because it is too powerful not to be the first thing you buy.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 04:24:16 AM by LordSkys »
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2019, 08:19:59 PM »
A few new Dronkey upgrades:

Carrier (Chassis): The dron-key is modified with two or four extra support legs. The irregular movement and support ability of the dron-key gives it additional carrying capacity.
Gives +2 Haul capacity, but gives the Drain quality.
A dron-key may only have two Chassis upgrades.

Punch (Chassis): The dron-key is equipped with a reverse engineered telescopic Punch-bot arm.
As a command (Free action for the Taker) spend a charge off the dron-key. The dronkey uses a tactic to locate the head of a target, grabs it, and uses the built in cattle gun to deal Kill damage to the enemy equal to the result of the black die.
The dron-key has reach. (attacks from 2 shambles away)

Demolition (Chassis): The dron-key is equipped with IED disposal and setting appendages.
As a command, the dron-key can set an explosive as a tactic by expending a charge off of the dronkey and the chosen explosive. As a Task, the taker may use the dron-key to disarm an explosive using Profession (Demolitions).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:50:02 AM by LordSkys »