Author Topic: Running elections in the Loss?  (Read 149 times)

Laughing Penguin

• Bait
    • View Profile
Running elections in the Loss?
« on: June 13, 2018, 07:51:21 PM »
I'm working on the seed of a plot idea, and it would revolve around the mechanisms of an election. How would some of you think an election would be run in your average enclave? Specifically in context of some group looking to influence/subvert that election?

Paper ballots seem too prone to issues and not as open to to the story i'd be looking to build, and there would be too many people for a voice roll. There are different kinds of electronic means, but i'd be interested in any ideas that might result in a crew being sent out to get/do _____ in order to either influence or get the means to influence an upcoming election. Ideally, the Takers wouldn't realize this until it was too late to back out without loss (if at all).

Any ideas, fellow Markets?

Varlaaax

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
Re: Running elections in the Loss?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 10:41:56 AM »
There is no average Enclave.

Totalitarian, feudal, slave run, democratic, communist, anarchistic, government sponsored.

Choose the politics and the voting system will follow.
Former European History Student.

Now EU Taker. Ask me for jobs to the mainland or France. Soma Tea accepted as bribe.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 05:03:19 PM »
elections in the Loss? sounds like it should be a joke in Varlaax 'Casualty Jokes' ... that being said I have to agree that the style will follow the government type of the enclave. as for having a method of doing a vote in an enclave that dose vote painted stones/marbles are a cheap and easy method for doing a silent vote. each person gets different colored stones for each answer and the stones get dropped into a box that gets tallied once everyone's voted.

as for contracts related to that ive got 8-10 ideas just from the few minutes spent reading and writing this so i dont think that will be much of an issue for you.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Varlaaax

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »
All Casualty jokes by the Taker formerly known as Varlaax are in the Red Markets Universe so they stay in character under Taker names in the Ubiq forum.

This forum is real world stuff and discussion. Like game mechanics.

But you're right, in the world of Red Markets. Elections in a Loss Enclave...is a big joke. For some.

Check out RPPR Red Markets Campaign where they have an 'election episode' in Distributee I think.

It's divided into districts by types of fiction and non fiction. I'll check for it and post link here. Brilliant RPPR RM campaign.

I think the crew is hired to disrupt the election process. And then the Latent gets involved.. Vector!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:40:51 PM by Varlaaax »

Now EU Taker. Ask me for jobs to the mainland or France. Soma Tea accepted as bribe.

Varlaaax

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 11:28:17 PM »
All Casualty jokes by the Taker formerly known as Varlaax are in the Red Markets Universe so they stay in character under Taker names in the Ubiq forum.

This forum is real world stuff and discussion. Like game mechanics.

My suggestion was meant to be in jest, pointing out that the idea of any kind of organized voting system to be an incongruity (generally) with life in the loss, and thus a 'joke'. However I can see how that might not have translated in my post. sorry for any confusion in that i was actually suggesting that the post should have been made in that forum. In most cases i see enclaves just sorting themselves out without much voting being done. those with the aptitude and the willingness rising to the occasion out of necessity or by the community setting up their own system for governments as they see fit, as suggested there are many styles of government that an enclave may lean towards.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

theblazeuk

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:43:04 AM »
Paper ballots are fine. We do our elections here with paper ballots and pencil. It's pretty reliable as long as you can trust the people taking the ballots, transporting them and counting them. Just need to have enough people of different groups watching each other and be very methodical.

The electric systems are the ones that are open to abuse. https://www.wired.com/2016/08/americas-voting-machines-arent-ready-election/

Not that they couldn't be made much better (Blockchain etc) of course, just saying that there's nothing inherently insecure about paper ballots.

Laughing Penguin

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 02:57:05 PM »
Points are well taken, perhaps I should expand on what I'm working with to give a better sense of the kind of inspiration i'm looking for:

Oz is an enclave built around the Bagnell Dam in the Missouri Ozark lakes region. The government is run by a council comprised of 2 representatives from each of the various factions in power (only one from the latent community, which leads into my request). Representatives are voted in by their respective factions and enjoy authority both within their faction and helping shape decisions across the entire enclave.

A radical faction within the latents group is trying to gain more power to better reverse the second-class citizen status latents have within the enclave, but is wary about an open revolt so trying to sway the election is her way in. She'd be hiring the takers on a job to help make that happen, but it should be done in a way that won't be obvious what she's doing (at least not until later). So the goal is to send the takers out for something innocuous that will ultimately help her seize power. I'm struggling to come up with what that mission would look like though...

Teapot

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 05:05:26 AM »
So is it the preview to a coup or just trying to change a law?

Either way if they're trying to change an election she likely needs some kind of triumph.

Maybe a herd of cattle and somebody to turn them into tasty bribe food?

A longer play would  be starting some kind of small business/service to make latents more useful/powerful.

If somehow there could be a threat that only the latents know about that might make them seem more deserving of another rep as well.

Laughing Penguin

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 03:46:24 AM »
So is it the preview to a coup or just trying to change a law?

Either way if they're trying to change an election she likely needs some kind of triumph.

Definitely a coup, and events of the last session (last night, after I made the initial request) up the stakes quite a bit...

MauveHand

• Taker
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 09:16:04 PM »
For a successful coup to work, she needs to assassinate the other leader's character while simultaneously making herself look like the only obvious choice.

Or assassinate the other leader and make it look accidental.  With Latents, that could be as simple as making it look like the other Latent turned and had to be put down.  If possible, killed by someone who ISN'T a candidate; people will talk about how "convenient" it was that she was there when the other leader turned...

Laughing Penguin

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 11:55:55 PM »
For a successful coup to work, she needs to assassinate the other leader's character while simultaneously making herself look like the only obvious choice.

Or assassinate the other leader and make it look accidental.  With Latents, that could be as simple as making it look like the other Latent turned and had to be put down.  If possible, killed by someone who ISN'T a candidate; people will talk about how "convenient" it was that she was there when the other leader turned...

The bit i'm getting stuck on is that it shouldn't be obvious the client is sending the team out to do something that would alter an election, at least not until the team is really neck-deep in it. Something as blatant as an assassination of the faction leader would be a bit blunt...