Author Topic: Safe places  (Read 1128 times)

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
Safe places
« on: June 22, 2018, 01:17:51 AM »
Let's talk about old-school hobo signs for a moment, shall we? In the old days, hobo signs where ways that folks who lived the transient life would warn each other of danger, point to safe places, and generally communicate that there were things that their fellow travelers should know.

To that end, I'm sharing my system. If you see a purple drawing out in the Loss, it may be one of mine. A hand with the fingers outstretched like a "Do Not Walk" sign means that the place is dangerous. A zig-zag inside a circle means it was safe last time and the time before. A square inside a circle means that the place has some sort of fortification to it, so if it's clear you can sleep inside. A circle inside a circle means water was available. Chicken leg sketch means food.

You wreck any of these spots, you take all the food or water, or you use my signs to trap travelers... I will find out. You won't get my help again, and you better hope the Casualties get you.

We clear? We good? Who wants to boost signal and add to the network?

Varlaaax

Re: Safe places
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 02:56:34 PM »
Hobo? You mean Bum sign?

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 03:08:22 PM »
Depends on region, but yes.  Hobo, bum, transient, any name you call a person who chose to live off the grid, ride the rails from place to place in order to eke out an existance by living off the leftovers.

My point, though, is that I mark safe places.

Varlaaax

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 03:11:25 PM »
We use QR codes mostly. But they are easily hackable.

Mostly by IC-U Drones from the Ministry.
Those things are everywhere along with CCTV in London. And they have a habit of following you home or away.

In the EU Loss QR Codes can be a help or death trap. Extra Bounty earned for reporting rogue Takers without the relevant permission.

That's when the Utility sign comes into play.

You use Purple for your Hobo signs Mauve.

We follow this rule:

'Red and Blue' they C you. Casualties around but not in sight.

'Orange, Pink and Green'. What does it mean? As in run away. Now.

Green for CCTV. Blue for Water supplies. Yellow for Gas supplies. White is general instructions or directions.

Ours dates from the UK Utility companies. Many UK Takers took this on post-Crash.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 03:23:49 PM by Varlaaax »

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 03:16:10 PM »
Good idea, as those are usable by everyone with Ubiq specs. Mine are usually ink, which is visible for everyone but alterable by every asshole out there with a pen.

QR codes can be hacked, but that takes effort.

Varlaaax

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 03:24:44 PM »
Good idea, as those are usable by everyone with Ubiq specs. Mine are usually ink, which is visible for everyone but alterable by every asshole out there with a pen.

QR codes can be hacked, but that takes effort.

Depends who put the QR codes there in the first place.

Varlaaax

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »
Let's talk about old-school hobo signs for a moment, shall we? In the old days, hobo signs where ways that folks who lived the transient life would warn each other of danger, point to safe places, and generally communicate that there were things that their fellow travelers should know.

To that end, I'm sharing my system. If you see a purple drawing out in the Loss, it may be one of mine. A hand with the fingers outstretched like a "Do Not Walk" sign means that the place is dangerous. A zig-zag inside a circle means it was safe last time and the time before. A square inside a circle means that the place has some sort of fortification to it, so if it's clear you can sleep inside. A circle inside a circle means water was available. Chicken leg sketch means food.

You wreck any of these spots, you take all the food or water, or you use my signs to trap travelers... I will find out. You won't get my help again, and you better hope the Casualties get you.

We clear? We good? Who wants to boost signal and add to the network?

Thanks for sharing Mauve. I'll inform my US Loss contacts.

Have you had many arseholes who stole from you or changed the sign?

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 03:42:28 PM »
Have you had many arseholes who stole from you or changed the sign?

Only a few. I had some Meek taint the ration bars in one of my spots, and I had a guy who changed the sign on another because some idiots left the gate open and Casualties came into the yard.

The first were dealt with by some friends in Black Math, and the second was re-cleared so we put the sign back.

Lovely little Victorian house with a brick wall around the yard. Lace-vines have covered the walls now, so you can only find the gate if you see the sign. Nice little respite stop, room for your whole crew to stretch out; too small to be home for long, but worth it for a night or two.

Varlaaax

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 03:53:31 PM »
Hope your kindness has been repaid with a hot cup of tea Mauve.

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 02:25:11 AM »
Hope your kindness has been repaid with a hot cup of tea Mauve.

Even better, Varlaaax. Taker from Galveston pointed me towards a Painted Lady house in Nebraska. A little bit of Kowloon's magic and it's another rest stop; place is upholstered entirely in chintz, but it's a four bedroom with a well in the back yard.

Varlaaax

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 02:37:31 PM »
Does Kowloon still work the US Loss? I heard a rumor of a rumor from a contact he got a contract and left the Taker life?

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
Does Kowloon still work the US Loss? I heard a rumor of a rumor from a contact he got a contract and left the Taker life?

He caught Jols a while back.  If you know his old Ubiq address, though, you can get through to Ludwig, and Kowloon'll pick up if he recognizes the name.  Voice changer/face-scrambler on both ends of the conversation of course.

Varlaaax

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
I'm actually hesitant to ask but do you think Kowloon is still using l Ludwig as a proxy in the US Loss for consulting on architect related jobs?

This is on behalf of a contact who wants a mobile Loss proxy and relay Ubiq point.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:48:09 PM by Varlaaax »

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 04:45:48 PM »
I'm actually hesitant to ask but do you think Kowloon is still using the Ludwig creature as a proxy in the US Loss for consulting on architect related jobs?

I can tell you with absolute certainty that he is not.  Ludwig's out of the Loss for good.

Varlaaax

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 03:09:38 PM »
How reliable would you say Hobo sign is for non-Takers or Loss natives Mauve?