Author Topic: Kenny R's Rules of Taking?  (Read 1351 times)

rev66

• Bait
    • View Profile
Kenny R's Rules of Taking?
« on: April 11, 2018, 01:00:30 PM »
Is anyone else seeing people copypasting this bullshit all over the Lifelines? It reads like a joke to me but every now and then it seems to make sense. Also wondering if anyone has a line on who Kenny R is.

Kenny R's Rules of Taking

• Don't forget nothing.
    Have your gun clean as a whistle, machete scoured, batteries fully charged, and be ready to hustle at a minute's warning.
    When you're on the march, act the way you would if you was sneaking up on a deer. See the enemy first.
    Tell the truth about what you see and what you do. There is an paycheck depending on you for correct information. You can lie all you please when you tell other folks about Taking, but don't never lie to another Taker or on the Lifelines.
    Don't never take a chance you don't have to.
    When we're on the march we march single file, far enough apart so one Casualty can't jump up and bite two Takers.
    If we strike swamps, or soft ground, we spread out abreast, so it's hard to track us by smell.
    When we march, we keep moving till dark, so as to give the enemy the least possible chance at us.
    When we camp, half the party stays awake while the other half sleeps.
    If we take prisoners, we keep 'em separate till we have had time to examine them, so they can't cook up a story between 'em.
    Don't ever march home the same way. Take a different route where there might be fresh salvage.
    No matter whether we travel in big parties or little ones, each party has to keep a scout 20 yards ahead, 20 yards on each flank, and 20 yards in the rear so the main body can't be surprised and wiped out.
    Don't sit down to eat without posting sentries.
    Ain't no such thing as a single C. Always act like you're surrounded by a superior force.
    Don't sleep beyond dawn. Dawn's when raiders and Casualties attack.
    Don't cross a river by a regular ford - even odds that there's a half-sunk Casualty nearby. Put your gear in a bag and swim across where it's deep enough that they can't stand up.
    If somebody's trailing you, make a circle, come back onto your own tracks, and ambush the folks that aim to ambush you.
    Don't stand up when the enemy's coming against you. Kneel down, lie down, hide behind a tree.
    Let the enemy come till he's almost close enough to touch, then let him have it and jump out and finish him up with your machete. Unless it's a Casualty. Then snipe his ass from as far away as you can.

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
Re: Kenny R's Rules of Taking?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 10:40:05 PM »
wouldn't it be easier to snipe an 'enemy' as sad as it is to say that, than to snipe a C from long range?  I mean sure, both are bad, but...
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

One Bounty. Two Crypto

SoCal Sweetheart

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:27:32 PM »
I prefer Kenny G:
Know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run

Seriously, some of that's good advice, although there's a cost to being wound too tight, too long. You gotta have fun once in a while, even on the trail.

Thing I don't agree with is not retracing your steps.  Sure, somebody could be following your trail, and you might miss something good by coming back the same way, but you also miss a lot of badness that way.  Man-traps, C's in weird places, hostiles. You pay your money and you take your chances, but I think your chances are better hauling ass back home the way you came, and not breaking new ground every mile of the way.

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 11:58:27 PM »
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
The best laid plans of mice and men gang oft aglee.

Pick your quotation, choose any source. The truth is that you can never anticipate every detail, and to think you can plan for everything is the height of hubris.

Here's the real deal. You survive by drilling for every possible outcome and learning to react to the stimuli of the Loss. When you turn your plan into instinct, you may have a chance.

Or you die. You become a lesson to every Taker out there, and hopefully your legend saves the next poor sap.

You want solid plans? Here's a few.

Buy. A. Silencer.
Buy a silencer!
Learn to shoot.
Be ready to run when you're the last standing.
Be prepared to die.
When death comes for you, bring a few with you.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »
He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious.

an old quote that has probably never been more true, I have seen many a crew fall because they did not know when to avoid a fight they could have otherwise safely avoided. if anyone's not familiar with Sun Tzu by this point you've got plenty of time now to read Im sure of it. theres some things you have to obviously contextualize for our lives in the loss but overall id say at least 75% can be taken and used at face value.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:44:21 PM »
Guns. Run. Out. Of. Bullets.

Learn. How. To. Pistol. Whip.

Also, carry extra ammo. If you run out of bullets before you run out of Job, you didn't plan for contingencies and you didn't run when you should have. Now that you've made your bed, you either lie in it OR figure out whose trip to Valhalla it is this time.