Author Topic: How young to be a Taker?  (Read 1803 times)

Varlaax

How young to be a Taker?
« on: February 09, 2018, 11:22:32 PM »
What's the oldest Taker you've seen?

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
Re: How young to be a Taker?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:45:46 PM »
obviously hard to verify things but in our enclave that award is Ralph 'The Neal' Barner. says he was born in 57. hes quiet and runs the local Sunday school voluntarily. probably wont see him here on the lifelines though. not a fan of tech. says human relighence on tech is what let things get so bad. thinks if we had more 'down to earth' sensibility when all this went south wed have been more prepared.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 02:50:48 AM »
He got tagged with the handle River. He was a ferryman before, so it fit. Somewhat.

He had two bad knees, arthritis in dann near every joint, a shock of snow-white hair on his head (and a beard to match) but he also knew where every safe spot was and had a steady hand with a rifle. Spry, wiry, and canny; River did the job to get his grandkids out.

Last I heard, he was working with the Snowbirds out in Tucson. Maybe the crazy old bastard's still out there, maybe he found Mr Jols; you find him, tell him I bet him a bounty he's still alive.

Varlaaax

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 09:02:48 PM »
Was his middle name Charon?

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 01:20:51 AM »
Was his middle name Charon?

Nope, just Old Man River. Most of us just imply the first two.

MauveHand

• Moth
  • US Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 01:23:32 PM »
I must be missing something with Old Man River. An old man who lives on the river and doesn't work in the underworld?

"Old Man River" is a showtune from the musical Showboat, back in the 1920's.  The song is more famous than the musical, having been covered by numerous artists since. 

The song equates the struggles of the African-American culture with the cold, uncaring flow of the Mississippi river.  But it's catchy, so the song took a spot in the American culture of the era.

Has anyone heard of the youngest Taker they've seen?

I'm including Black Math with Team Child Soldier though.

I have heard of the Children's Crusade. Maybe that's an EU thing. Lot of hope of reclamation here + Black Math = Crusades.

Hope our cousins across the pond never see its like. Nay to Team Child Soldier.

I've seen children watching fences from ages as small as eight.  It's one thing to watch a fence and alert adults to the approaching horde, or ram a sharpened broomstick through the holes in the chain-link.  It's quite another to be a Taker.

That distinction made, I've seen a child aged 13 be an effective Taker.  Name was Wasp, on account of a penchant for repeated stabbing.  I knew Wasp was 13, and I can tell you that the stabbing was on point.