Author Topic: Rules questions and other sanity checks  (Read 11050 times)

theblazeuk

• Moth
    • View Profile
Rules questions and other sanity checks
« on: July 20, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »
So I thought rather than have separate threads for relatively simple questions, I'd start a central thread. If everyone could quote the original question when responding with their thoughts that will make it easier to browse.

I'll kick things off: How does the market run friendly/neutral NPCs in combat?

I can't remember how Caleb ran the Black Math warrior in the meek fight, or if any of the other tag-alongs ever did anything other than interact in non-combat sections.

TRNSHMN

• Bait
    • View Profile
Re: Rules questions and other sanity checks
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:05:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure he just handwaved it. As far as NPCs go, I think just narrative and cinematic methods work. You don't want to have them roll against NPCs. Nothing is more dull than the GM playing combat against themselves. Unless the players are involved or you're trusting something to random rolls, just go with what makes sense, feels right or makes things more interesting.
Somehow still occasionally managing to convince people that I'm not completely boring.

theblazeuk

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 02:21:57 PM »
Yeah - that was my feeling. Contextually I might put players in charge of a mob of friendly fighters, or maybe prompt players to make rolls to save NPCs they are meant to protect (make an athletics check to push her out of the line of fire, or kill the guy shooting at her before he flanks, etc etc).

Palbicke

• Administrator
  • Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:36:55 PM »
It's hand waved for now. If you're commanding friendly forces though, it sounds like mass combat. We're going to put out rules for that in the War supplement.

Think of negotiations, only instead of bounty, you're negotiating what percentage of each population dies.

theblazeuk

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 02:01:35 PM »
Can't wait :)

New question:

Does removing the competition (scam) require prep work to identify them first?

TRNSHMN

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:44:36 PM »
I'd say yes, barring special circumstances or contexts? If not, finding the competition during prep becomes almost meaningless, only allowing you to know if you should spend a scam on it. I suppose you could argue for that? But I'm not sure.
Somehow still occasionally managing to convince people that I'm not completely boring.

DiploRaptor

• Bait
  • Head Host of 'The Random Cast'
    • View Profile
    • Diplomacy With a Raptor... Its a Lets Play Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
I'd say yes, barring special circumstances or contexts? If not, finding the competition during prep becomes almost meaningless, only allowing you to know if you should spend a scam on it. I suppose you could argue for that? But I'm not sure.

I'd argue that it doesn't, if you make it part of your Negotiators pitch during a round.
Mentioning your paying for the quality and throwing in a insult like "Well we are 'The Party' but what do these guys got can you even remember there name?"
Or have a character when doing there scam make a Networking/Research/Criminality test too figure out who is involved.
Failure(They find out but can't act on it), Critical Failure(They find nothing on who is competing for the job), Success(Find out and can act on it between this and the next round of negotiations... if there is a next round), Critical Success(Find out and can act on it this round of negotiations)
Makes things interesting though too each there own I would suppose.
When you get a Bruce Campbell avatar choice you use it.
I really wanted to include a quote instead I just decided to talk about that desire. Mainly cause I couldn't think of a quote that would annoy Chris.

theblazeuk

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 02:00:14 PM »
Good suggestions!

Silver

• Taker
  • Jason S
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 06:29:03 PM »
For now I just rule that each side takes out one of the other every round, and to keep it from getting mechanical and boring I try to dramatically describe each death. If one side has cover the other gets shredded, if they both have cover it's a stalemate.
Looking for Takers in the Central Valley? Call BLACKLIGHT for good rates and professional work.
Need a name? Click Here for a running list of Takers!

DiploRaptor

• Bait
  • Head Host of 'The Random Cast'
    • View Profile
    • Diplomacy With a Raptor... Its a Lets Play Channel
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 09:21:25 PM »
For now I just rule that each side takes out one of the other every round, and to keep it from getting mechanical and boring I try to dramatically describe each death. If one side has cover the other gets shredded, if they both have cover it's a stalemate.

Ohhh I like that, and means you can have the PC's trying too protect that friendly NPC they care a lot about.
When you get a Bruce Campbell avatar choice you use it.
I really wanted to include a quote instead I just decided to talk about that desire. Mainly cause I couldn't think of a quote that would annoy Chris.

Vylan

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 05:52:36 AM »
Another question for the heap  :)

When spending Bounty to recover Humanity, can you do it before recovering via Dependents or does it have to be done afterwards?

TRNSHMN

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
Since you can do so for physical damage, I'd imagine the same stands for humanity damage, so I would say yes.

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 10:01:21 PM »
When do scams take place during a score?

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 03:58:51 AM »
Does removing the competition (scam) require prep work to identify them first?

In an enclave with more then one taker team it make since that you'd have to. however its also possible that everyone prep actions get used up without getting that info, Id rule your more then welcome to start mudslinging against a party and just hope your right about them being your competition, ether way works to the markets favor for having an interesting story hook for later.

they technically take place before the negotiation happens, that way your negotiator 'knows' all the information he has before walking in. if you sabotage something or run off competition to manipulate the price its the same thing youd have to have done it 'before' waling into talk about the job for it to have had time to effect the market. having said that its done in flashbacks during the talks like in a heist movie like oceans 11. that way you have a little something for everyone to do while the dm and the negotiator just talk.

my own question. do cracks in humanity harden you to that kind of check like in other systems or do you just keep falling down the dmg track?

For instance Fencemen can start off cracked in detachment due to having to distance themselves from the job of stabbing things that look human for hours on end. or the believers bonus to saves that strengthen their beliefs though they start as dmged in a track.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:09:22 AM by Dadalos »
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 02:05:37 PM »

they technically take place before the negotiation happens, that way your negotiator 'knows' all the information he has before walking in. if you sabotage something or run off competition to manipulate the price its the same thing youd have to have done it 'before' waling into talk about the job for it to have had time to effect the market. having said that its done in flashbacks during the talks like in a heist movie like oceans 11. that way you have a little something for everyone to do while the dm and the negotiator just talk.

my own question. do cracks in humanity harden you to that kind of check like in other systems or do you just keep falling down the dmg track?

For instance Fencemen can start off cracked in detachment due to having to distance themselves from the job of stabbing things that look human for hours on end. or the believers bonus to saves that strengthen their beliefs though they start as dmged in a track.

Since Scores don't have negotiation (versus contracts), any examples of how the crew runs scams to change the equilibrium?  Page 396("while there is no negotiation in Scores, characters can still conduct Scams to manipulate prices.") makes it seem like they could, but it also seems like the price per haul could get out of hand if everyone in the crew did this.

Everything I have read or listened to in regards to humanity damage looks like you just keep deteriorating, rather than becoming "adapted"to the damage (i.e. DG) The characters dependents and spending bounty can heal it, but never above a regret(crack or crumble) 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:14:46 PM by Owl »