Author Topic: Running the Market - Tips and Tricks  (Read 5060 times)

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
Running the Market - Tips and Tricks
« on: August 26, 2017, 12:07:34 AM »
A place to ask questions and share experience running the Market

Anyone have any advice for Market participation during vignettes?  I'm having trouble encouraging those scenes, but really love the RP that happens in them.

TRNSHMN

• Bait
    • View Profile
Re: Running the Market - Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »
To a fair extent, you're stuck with whatever your players are like. If they are not so hot on RP, it's going to be like pulling teeth anyway.

There's also the question of the player fitting the Dependent in question at least somewhat. In the game I ran last summer after the KS, Flatcap's Taker had a Dependent who was his genderqueer spouse. No one but him and me were really able to play that character due to the general cishetness of the group making the other players feel pretty awkward and confused about playing someone genderqueer.

Personally, I've found that the best bet is two-fold: pick the player you see either fitting the Dependent or having fun playing them the most, and just say 'Hey X, could you play Tiger Tony in this scene?' instead of asking the group at large for volunteers. Another version is to make the player whose Dependent it is to select the people to play their NPCs. That way it's less pressure on you, though if someone is just humming and hawwing, don't be afraid to appoint a player.
Somehow still occasionally managing to convince people that I'm not completely boring.

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »
I think all dependants should be set in the first scenario as to who plays what dependant, instead of dabbling around, myself.
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

One Bounty. Two Crypto

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 03:27:12 PM »
Thanks for the insights! Our group loves the RP and we have been playing together for a while, so we have a good grip on what our group wants to wade into.( That did remind me though, episode 123 of RPPR deals with pushing the envelope, and is a good resource for that.) who plays who and how is definitely a good thing for me to think on.

A lot of my difficulty has been on my end, creatively engaging them. Caleb writes about "informing the role playing" in the dependents section, but I'm kind of stuck on the "that thing that just happened in the scene makes you remember the trauma you experienced the other day" and it feels stale.

Do any of you have prompts that help You do that that have worked well?

TRNSHMN

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
Can you clarify that some? Are you talking about Cope vignettes in particular, or just showing horror to the PCs during vignettes in general?
Somehow still occasionally managing to convince people that I'm not completely boring.

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »
I'm thinking about all three options in general, but if there are specific thought processes for each I'd love to hear those too!

TRNSHMN

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 03:51:51 PM »
The general advice I can give is to try and monitor the events of the vignette, keep an eye out for anything you can use. It's possible to use some things you prepared in advance, but primarily I've relied on instinct and improv.

As far as more specific things you could do aside from flashbacks, I'd say the three main things are focusing in on something that is common in the Loss, alienating Takers from the normal folks of the Enclave, and playing on the fears of the characters.

Say, a PC is taking their child out to eat because fresh fruit came in, and on the way back they realize they took their kid along a path where they would see some horror of the Loss, a dead body on display to ward off Raiders, whatever, and neither of them even really saw it as a dead human being, they're so numbed to it.

Or for alienation, the PC hears someone walk up behind them, and an odd sound, metal scraping on metal, they whirl around ready to fight, but it's just someone walking the same way, a plate and fork rubbing up against each other instead of a gun's slide being worked. No one else reacted, because no one else is primed to react to threats, the average denizens of the Enclave are not honed to go full bore fight-or-flight at the drop of a hat.

Or they could see another local Taker, who took a job their own Crew was considering, out on the streets, the job having gone bad, most of his buddies dead, his gear gone, his family starving, giving a glimpse of what that dreaded one bad day might look like.

It's more about twisting the knife and/or reminding the players that yes, life still goes on, but it is not a good life, it is not a cool life.

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
That is great advice! Thanks!

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 05:07:36 PM »
Any tips on running generic mobs of C's?

I know that C's are like the weather, and my Takers are very prepared, very tactical, and very methodical, but mobs of C's basically have just become something that burns charges of guns and equipment rather than causing any concern of danger.

TRNSHMN

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 05:30:43 PM »
To use the weather metaphor further than it probably needs to be: If you know it's going to rain, you take an umbrella. If you know record snow is coming, you don't go on a long drive. But if it starts to hail when you're hiking through a field, you're in trouble.

Casualties become dangerous with five factors: proximity, surprise, time pressure, numbers, lack of exits.

If you cut open a chained shut doors and the casualties in torpor squeezed into the small room inside literally fall out to your feet and wake up, that's a bad day (proximity, surprise). If there's a dozen of them, that's worse (numbers). If there are more behind you and that's the only way out except for some other locked doors your mechanic needs to cut open, that's a tragedy in motion (time pressure, lack of exits).

Combine those factors and limit easy, safe ways to engage them and you get dangerous Cs, and then you just sit back and let the Profit System do the rest. Hell, even a single casualty can flat out kill a character if you stack 2-3 of them.

Don't do too much at once too often, but every now and again, spring a situation on your crew that is made entirely out of bad, risky options.

ericbright2002

• Bait
    • View Profile
    • Red Markets Web App
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »
Part of the reason Owl is having trouble getting Cs to be dangerous for us is his bad dice rolls.  ;) Every time he rolls, the mobs are either 9 or 10 shambles away giving us plenty of time to waste them before they are a threat.  You need to stop using my cursed Bright-luck dice!

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 08:07:36 PM »
Part of the reason Owl is having trouble getting Cs to be dangerous for us is his bad dice rolls.  ;) Every time he rolls, the mobs are either 9 or 10 shambles away giving us plenty of time to waste them before they are a threat.  You need to stop using my cursed Bright-luck dice!

Hah this is true!

theblazeuk

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 12:02:40 AM »
I have the same issue. But I had fun putting a stampede at one end of a street, and the mob of Cs at the other.... Fight if you want to flight!

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »
yeah casualties at distance are meant to be a threat to supply, but you'll eventually roll that 1 shamble, and then that hum-drum situation becomes horror.  The monotony actually helps breed complacency, which is as good a tool as any.
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

One Bounty. Two Crypto

TRNSHMN

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »
Don't forget Market Fiat. Random rolls for casualties are a tool, not a restraint. Randomness can give rise to exciting, surprising stories, but it can also lead to meh, dull situations.

"Oh no, you failed your stealth check and kicked a can into a glass window, casualties appear! *roll roll* T-two of them, one nine, the other ten shambles away! They wave at you from down the street as you just walk away! Thrill and excitement..."

Modify or ignore dice when appropriate. Maybe if you do something loud in the middle of a building in a city, two mobs spawn for 1d10+5 mass, 1d5 shambles away. Maybe just say X mass Y shambles away when you want to push character to show what they're made of. Few things are as telling about a character as what they do when their friend is surrounded and they need to make a decision right now, no time for complicated plans and schemes, just do or die.

The point is to have fun, dramatic and often horrific stories in the wastes while being fair to players, not to exactly model reality or follow the rules to the letter.