Author Topic: Homebrew Gear  (Read 2168 times)

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
Homebrew Gear
« on: September 06, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »
Anyone have any homebrew gear ideas in their games? I love the simplicity of the gear list and have not really found any holes, but thought I'd give tinkering a shot.

Stun Gun

Effect: Stun Damage
Upkeep: 3
Charges: 10

Qualities:
Capped, Single Shot (Twitch to reload, Task to refresh), Short Range

Upgrades:
Extended Pulse (extra charges for damage) , Laser Sight (mid range), Barbed Probes (stun damage continues for an extra round at cost of 1 charge/cannot add in extended pulse to secondary damage)

I considered the fact that realistically it should be a specialized weapon, but would anybody use it if it was?  Thoughts?

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Gear
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:09 PM »
Im interested in seeing what others are doing with the rules for making new gear. this seems like a good start, though its worth remembering that C's dont care about stun XD so this is purely a anti-person use tool.

my only attempt at making gear so far has been a rickshaw for bikes, and play-tests shows that theres a reason they arnt in the game standard XD.

Ill be posting some other ideas myself when i get a bit more time to think things through.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

The Passerby

• Taker
  • We all walk past, I can only hope I notice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 10:09:42 PM »
Seems incredibly specific. Like this is something you buy purposefully for one job. Given that job is to probably capture a person, I am unsure if the upkeep will actually be paid. Sounds like it will be something like pay 6, get back 3 rental from some random guy in a shed. Come down to Dave's Discount Stun Gun and Roboroter Emporium...

Though I figured something out, if you want an extra reload of ammunition for a gun, you carry an extra gun. Which is a New York Reload. But what if you want to create an item that gives you extra ADP charge reloads.

Would it be something like average out the cost of the items you wish to reload? Like to get more ADP reloads in addition to the upkeep costs means you really needed to hustle up more gear. And doing that means paying more money because market demands say you have high demand and there was low supply at normal prices.

What are people's thoughts about a StopLoss style subscription item, where in it's for charges? Or something like that. You pay for a Club membership so you can get like maybe a few extra supplies? Blind Box Supplies?
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:57:55 PM »
Would it be something like average out the cost of the items you wish to reload? Like to get more ADP reloads in addition to the upkeep costs means you really needed to hustle up more gear. And doing that means paying more money because market demands say you have high demand and there was low supply at normal prices.

this is how ive run it in the past. pay the upkeep value of the item and just understand that the inflated price is because of the markets needs and the supply/demand on top of the 'convenience' of having that extra right now. if you wanted it at the best value invest in a higher ADP to account for your person spending that extra time shopping around for the better deal. in a bust game rules I think ADP already works that way with items being pre-locked in instead of magically being the thing you needed. fuel for the car ammo for the gun batteries for the laptop. ect.

as for a club membership for discount supplies... I think that has to be done on a play by play house rule and probably with some story elements playing in the background. though I might take the idea of 'discount goods' as a story hook.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Owl

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 01:43:26 PM »
Seems incredibly specific.

I definitely agree. In my campaign I actually see the crew pulling one of these off of someone who tried to capture them before spending bounty to buy one. Perhaps a character who refuses to kill humans would find it useful, but more likely than not it would be used in a bounty hunter situation.