Author Topic: Unusual game idea: "One Big Job"  (Read 3983 times)

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
Unusual game idea: "One Big Job"
« on: November 04, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »
I've been kicking around an idea for a type of one-shot, revolving around a job or score that is so high value that it basically represents an entire career's worth of wealth. Basically, like a standalone Mr. JOLS.

I'm struggling a little bit with how to make the Negotiation mechanics, and the pre-job section of the game, interesting and meaningful in this context. Now, for a score, I could basically do it like a normal JOLS, generating the scenario of the Score. But if it's a contract job, it seems a little trickier.

The idea is, if the Takers pull off the job, they'll be able to cash out completely, so negotiation doesn't really matter all that much. So what can the Takers do with their actions, scams, etc. that could be interesting and valuable?

The example I'm working with is, a billionaire hires the Takers to steal something off of a superyacht out in the Pacific Ocean (this crazy thing). Money is no object to this client, he's gonna chopper them out there and everything. So what can they get out of the negotiation?

I'm think it makes the most sense for their payoff to be information and logistical support rather than money. So maybe instead of using the Sway tracker, I just have the client give them better information and more gifts as they succeed on negotiation rolls.

Anybody have other ideas for how to set this up?
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual game idea: "One Big Job"
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
JOLS are more like scores in that theres not a negotiation, your taking the risk of not having a client for the change to cash in big on something that no-ones been crazy enough to do yet. for this if it is a one and done the negotiations going to have to represent them competing against the other groups that will probably also be jumping for this job. and if hes going through the truble of JOLS'ing you and paying for everything besides... this game had better end with everyone screaming and everything probably on fire. XD.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Freebird

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:59:46 PM »
JOLS are more like scores in that theres not a negotiation, your taking the risk of not having a client for the change to cash in big on something that no-ones been crazy enough to do yet. for this if it is a one and done the negotiations going to have to represent them competing against the other groups that will probably also be jumping for this job. and if hes going through the truble of JOLS'ing you and paying for everything besides... this game had better end with everyone screaming and everything probably on fire. XD.

Having it focus on "competition" probably makes sense, given the twist I'm going for...

[SPOILERS FOR THE JOB]

So, the idea is, the billionaire says that he's looking to hire a crew of Takers to steal something from the superyacht of a rival billionaire. But when they get out to the yacht, they realize that they're only one of several groups that's been hired to compete for the job, against security forces that have also been hired to protect it. It's an elaborate game that's been arranged by the client for his own amusement.

So during "negotiation," the Taker group can figure that they're competing with other crews for the massive singular opportunity of doing the job. But their competition ends up being the other crews that are also at the site. Whatever intel they've managed to accumulate on their rivals can then be useful in resolving the situation, whether that's by defeating them or convincing them to collude.
Ex-Taker. Made it.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:24:41 PM »
hmmm, I like it. Ill probably have to re-purpose it for one of the late game missions when my own crew gets back into running. let us know how it turns out because I can definitly see thigns going very wrong very fast for our intrepid takers... though seeing what happens after they win (and the game that happens after in a campaign setting.) would be very interesting to view.

if you were running this as a mission in a ongoing setting as oposed to the one shot, set up the negotiations with the understanding that its a 10/10 job and take negotiations from there and dont have the NPC client push back very much. my own groups so paranoid having a client be excited about paying them so much money would be worth everything else to come. like give them a 'gift spot' after negotiations. and have the other 'competition' not undercut they are just included in the job. If the jobs going to be over the top, Full paid everything + chopper... Lets go all the way with it. and let them know just how odd this job is. XD
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Freebird

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 06:05:48 PM »
hmmm, I like it. Ill probably have to re-purpose it for one of the late game missions when my own crew gets back into running. let us know how it turns out because I can definitly see thigns going very wrong very fast for our intrepid takers... though seeing what happens after they win (and the game that happens after in a campaign setting.) would be very interesting to view.

if you were running this as a mission in a ongoing setting as oposed to the one shot, set up the negotiations with the understanding that its a 10/10 job and take negotiations from there and dont have the NPC client push back very much. my own groups so paranoid having a client be excited about paying them so much money would be worth everything else to come. like give them a 'gift spot' after negotiations. and have the other 'competition' not undercut they are just included in the job. If the jobs going to be over the top, Full paid everything + chopper... Lets go all the way with it. and let them know just how odd this job is. XD

Yeah, the Client will push back, but only in the sense of testing the crew to see if they'll make a good "team" for him to field.
Ex-Taker. Made it.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 05:34:42 PM »
Yeah, the Client will push back, but only in the sense of testing the crew to see if they'll make a good "team" for him to field.

reminds me of the quote from the film Oblivion (2013) :

Quote from: Sally
"Are you an effective team?"

god actually thinking about it, having the client be an AI or something steps this up into Eclipse Phase Titan tech levels of scary.

Freebird

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »

reminds me of the quote from the film Oblivion (2013) :

Quote from: Sally
"Are you an effective team?"

god actually thinking about it, having the client be an AI or something steps this up into Eclipse Phase Titan tech levels of scary.

Heh heh, a "Turing Test" negotiator would be a heck of a twist. Might be better for another scenario, though. Don't want to throw every possible crazy idea into just one job. :)
Ex-Taker. Made it.

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 06:28:37 PM »
Oh I agree,  ;D , However when my crew hits this job it would be part of a campaign so id be able to make it work into the story abit more smoothly then in say a one shot. just thinking about the collective 'wtf...' from the players almost makes me giddy.

Zeke

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »
I'm running a campaign where my taker group is doing 1 giant job. They were contacted by the DHQS and offered to have expenses paid for every target they eliminate. The job is that the Takers were given a list of badass members of a counter group and they all need to be eliminated. Each session is the group trying to find and assassinate the individuals. My players use negotiations for gear or transportation expenses more than anything. This campaign is also running similar to the 10k lakes campaign. Everyone has multiple takers and there are multiple enclaves. So we don't just hunt people every session. Usually, when they are playing takers that have not been hired by the government they get a small bit of information regarding the overall plot. So far its working great and players still have to hustle to make any profit.

The Passerby

• Taker
  • We all walk past, I can only hope I notice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 06:19:59 AM »
Hmm, this makes me wonder how this would work as a Cannonball Run sort of thing? There's one big job, and the whole campaign is about this job, but unless the Takers start out with increased bounty and etc, why would they be specifically hired? Is there plot reasons? If not plot reasons, what other ways could it work? What it's been just shotgun hired out, pay them all deposit, whoever makes it gets the rest of it. Turn it into a weird sort of Treasure Hunt/Race...and self-control check when their exploits are used as some form of underground reality television.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 06:38:48 PM »
Hmm, this makes me wonder how this would work as a Cannonball Run sort of thing? There's one big job, and the whole campaign is about this job, but unless the Takers start out with increased bounty and etc, why would they be specifically hired? Is there plot reasons? If not plot reasons, what other ways could it work? What it's been just shotgun hired out, pay them all deposit, whoever makes it gets the rest of it. Turn it into a weird sort of Treasure Hunt/Race...and self-control check when their exploits are used as some form of underground reality television.

hmmm, I dont think id make a one shot job from it but several smaller linked jobs. after doing the first one the takers become 'preferred' for the rest of the job links to eliminate competition, still have to do the hired job part but its consistent work. now if they stop taking the job(s) for one reason or another have the client wait a week X-Time-Units and then start hiring other crews. and I could totaly see takeers making a living as 'reality' TV show stars... with the right crew its toataly doable to think they might be able to become the new 'walking dead' of the RM universe... with a more grim/dark tone.

Varlaax

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 10:53:18 PM »
Have you run the super yacht job yet?

Freebird

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 10:55:14 PM »
Have you run the super yacht job yet?

Volcano on a fucking boat. I love it.

I haven't run it yet, mostly focusing on Black Death right now.
Ex-Taker. Made it.

Varlaax

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 11:28:36 PM »
Why not call it Red Death?