Author Topic: A Tweak to Refresh Rules to Reward Frugality (slightly Bust)  (Read 1221 times)

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
A Tweak to Refresh Rules to Reward Frugality (slightly Bust)
« on: April 03, 2018, 05:14:47 PM »
It's been bothering me a bit lately that Refresh as-written is basically free.

So if I blaze away with my assault rifle and spend 3 Refresh on extra bullets over the course of a job, it doesn't cost me any more than if I'm very frugal and have all that Refresh left over unspent afterward.

I want to make scarcity-based behavior a little bit more realistic, by introducing a little incentive to conserve resources. That said, I really like the way Refresh abstracts away the fiddly business of counting specific resources, so I don't want to go into full count-the-bullets specificity.

I've devised this simple rules variant:

• At the end of each job, for every point of Refresh a Taker spent during the job, they must pay 1 Bounty to recover that point of Refresh.
  • For example, if a Taker with 3 Refresh spends 2 Refresh during a job, they must spend 2 Bounty before the next job to regain those spent points. If they don't, they will only have 1 point of Refresh available during the next job.
  • Markets might allow Scavenging rolls or pre-job work actions to substitute for the Bounty at their discretion.

What do you think?
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Dadalos

• Ubiq Admin.
  • Specializes in logistics and overthinking things.
    • View Profile
Re: A Tweak to Refresh Rules to Reward Frugality (slightly Bust)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 11:53:08 PM »
I like it, its a thing thats never caught my eye as being problematic, but agree that adding your system would tighten things down a bit more 'bust' . and I like that you also included suggestions for ways other then bounty a taker could gain those.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."