Author Topic: Bust Mode Idea: Primo Gear  (Read 1075 times)

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
Bust Mode Idea: Primo Gear
« on: July 15, 2018, 02:53:33 AM »
Here's a Bust Mode gear idea I've just thought up, thanks to a post over on Facebook:

Primo Gear
Upgrades are generally the best value in the game, since they increase the value of gear without increasing its upkeep cost. There's nothing wrong with that. But after a certain point, walking around with super nice, highly upgraded gear is going to attract some unwanted attention.

Every piece of gear with at least three purchased upgrades -- or if fewer than three upgrades are available, all available upgrades -- gains the quality "Primo". For each piece of Primo gear that a Taker owns, they must roll a Foresight roll at the beginning of each job. On a failed roll, the piece of gear was tampered with or "borrowed" by someone in the enclave before the job. The Taker must spend 1 Bounty to have the item ready for the job. On a critical failure, the piece of gear was stolen by someone in the enclave between jobs. It's gone for good.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
Re: Bust Mode Idea: Primo Gear
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »
maybe simplify it that on a failed Foresight, the Taker loses an upgrade?  I love the idea, but man, those Takers are going to hate their enclave!  I foresee Intimidation checks all over the place
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

One Bounty. Two Crypto

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
Re: Bust Mode Idea: Primo Gear
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 10:32:27 PM »
maybe simplify it that on a failed Foresight, the Taker loses an upgrade?  I love the idea, but man, those Takers are going to hate their enclave!  I foresee Intimidation checks all over the place
That's what they get for carrying around blinged-out gear. It's like wearing your chains in the 'hood, as M.O.P. says:

Them thugs you know, ain't friendly
Them jewels you rock, make 'em envy
You thinking it's all good, you creep through a small hood
Goons coming up outta the cut for your goods and they all should

I think envy and distrust are a sort of underdeveloped part of RM as a Poverty Simulator. A mechanic for the increasing risk of being robbed as you get more successful would help bring that home.

Plus it would be another little incentive to put your money toward Retirement instead of spending it on nicer stuff.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/