Author Topic: Rules hack: Split Rolls and Stealth  (Read 1189 times)

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
Rules hack: Split Rolls and Stealth
« on: November 26, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »
Listening to a recent AP episode (https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/episodes/2018/11/21/red-markets-10k-lakes-technical-difficulties), it occurred to me that my "split roll" idea would be great for Stealth tests. As a refresher, here's what Split Rolls are:
On a Split Roll, the Taker rolls the Black in the open, the Market rolls the Red in secret.

That way, the player has some idea of the likely results of the roll, but not complete knowledge. For example, if the Taker rolls a B1, they know it was a really bad bite and they are almost certainly infected. But a B10 is a very weak bite, probably not even breaking the skin, probably no problem. The continuum of B results between the extremes represents how bad the situation seems to the Taker in character. Gameplay-wise, the player knows the odds but not the actual result.

I originally came up with the idea for Infection tests, to insert some dramatic uncertainty into whether the result is likely to be positive or not. But it seems to me that Stealth test are a very similar situation: the PC is likely to know generally how quiet they are being, but not how vigilant their opposition is being. So a Split Roll is a good way to convey that situation.

What do y'all think?
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Doc Butcher

• Bait
    • View Profile
Re: Rules hack: Split Rolls and Stealth
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 05:29:30 PM »
I like the idea for special stealth rolls when the market forces might be extra vigilant. Or when the player speculates the market forces will be on high alert.  Or near the end of a Mr. JOLS.  I wouldn't want to use it for most rolls.  Often you will know if you just went Clank!

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 04:27:02 PM »
This really seems to be a market's choice mechanic. Anytime you want to build suspense you can use this, but ultimately it only builds tension in the meta-world, not much different for the in game characters RP-wise.

I think you can literally just tell a player "roll black only" any time you wanna raise the stakes, which makes it versatile.

i know this sounds negative in the way i'm writing, bu I like the mechanic a lot. Good Job!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Freebird

• Moth
  • Ethan Cordray, RPG player, tester, sometime writer
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast, technicaldifficultiespod.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 02:43:31 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement! As for the "clank" situation, that's what rolling a 1 on the Black means. :) If you roll higher, you're more confident in your stealthiness.
Ex-Taker. Made it.
General advice: no charge.
Technical firearms advice: reasonable rates.
Freedom isn't free. Drive a hard bargain for it.
https://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/