Author Topic: New Tough Spot- Resistant.  (Read 2347 times)

LordSkys

• Moth
  • Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions
    • View Profile
New Tough Spot- Resistant.
« on: December 22, 2018, 05:08:19 AM »
So I have an idea for a new Tough spot that needs to fail more than one infection check to succumb to the blight.

I would like feedback and/or suggestions, especially help for negative of the tough spot.

Current Idea: (as of 12/21/18)

Resistant-

Hard to Chew- You must fail a number of infection checks equal to your strength to succumb to the blight. Each successive infection check occurs 1 minute after the previous if trying to resist hot blight, 1 hour after if trying to resist cold blight. Succeeding once ends the successive infection checks.

For some reason the Blight has a hard time taking hold in your body. Something in you internal oragans and brain tissues generates a resistance, but it does not offer the same immunity as the immune's bone marrow. Interestingly, some immune have the same resistance; but due to their immunity it doesn't actually come into effect.

Worth the Taste-  Each permanently harvested hitbox from the chest or head is worth 5 bounty. While fighting off an infection, you transmit the blight like a latent after two failed infection checks.

Your internal organs can be used to make an off brand version of Suppressin that involves a far more harrowing endeavor. An excess of blight in your system can cause your bodily fluids to appear black and transmit the blight.

You can gain the Resistant tough spot after making your character by rolling a total of 10 when adding the red and black die of your infection checks together. (Except if both the black and red are five, then you become a latent as normal). You may not become immune or latent if you are resistant.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 05:21:58 AM by LordSkys »
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

"I got you, bro" - The Blight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Teapot

• Bait
    • View Profile
Re: New Tough Spot- Resistant.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 03:34:58 PM »
It's neat but close enough to Immune not to be significant. In this case you get to make extra checks instead of auto passing and your body is worth money but not as much more. But still enough to get rich off. I guess there could be not registering as immune on blood tests but that's about all the interesting this offers. Also it only matters to people who are putting points into Strength. With a strength of one it's more or less not a background.

However, as a replacement for Immune it'd be just fine. Maybe say minimum two checks to be infected?

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 02:33:24 AM »
It's neat but close enough to Immune not to be significant. In this case you get to make extra checks instead of auto passing and your body is worth money but not as much more. But still enough to get rich off. I guess there could be not registering as immune on blood tests but that's about all the interesting this offers. Also it only matters to people who are putting points into Strength. With a strength of one it's more or less not a background.

However, as a replacement for Immune it'd be just fine. Maybe say minimum two checks to be infected?

Yeah, that was the problem I was running into as well.

I thought maybe it could be fail an additional number of checks equal to your strength, but that seemed a little convoluted for a first draft. I might need the aid of a grammar nazi. Ugggggghhhhhh.

The ability to resist the infection without actual immunity feels like it could be a pretty significant ability, but without really playing up the immune persecution to that of Jewish during the third Reich, (what is with me and Nazi references today?) it doesn't seem very significant an ability while immunity is an option.

I think it could be a pretty cool ability, but it needs to stick out as a unique choice rather than a halfway between latency and immunity. Any ideas how?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall" - Confucius

Caretaker of Skys Gear Solutions. Custom weapons, tech, and gear at fair wholesale prices.

Teapot

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 01:35:27 PM »
On the other hand if you replace Immune with this you can make your setting a little bit more terrifying with the higher latency. It leaves people infectious longer and unsure about when they're clear.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 05:47:37 PM »
On the other hand if you replace Immune with this you can make your setting a little bit more terrifying with the higher latency. It leaves people infectious longer and unsure about when they're clear.

Oooooh, what if you make immune a tough spot you can only get out in the field (not at character creation) and/or turn up the number of problems an immune faces. Like humans had latent (ha) immunity genes that took time to activate.

It has real world foundation: many birds still have the genes for claws and teeth, they are just turned off, and they can even be activated idue to environmental factors.

How does that sound?

Teapot

• Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 06:19:45 AM »
Yeah, Immune is a kind of stealth option. I think that Half-Off made it a big part of his story. But in a lot of games I've run nobody really mentioned it. In a lot of ways I'd be happy to give an Immune person a second spot if they're not as interested in the immune story as the not going zombie/at risk of capture.

Askew

• Taker
  • Sean B, Local Market, Larval Podcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 03:53:51 AM »
I would include Resistant as a Bust-Mode variant as a replacement of Immune. It does change the backstory a little bit for the setting, but it’s definitely gnarly.

CodeBlue

• Moth
    • View Profile
    • The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 11:01:35 AM »
Yeah, Immune is a kind of stealth option. I think that Half-Off made it a big part of his story. But in a lot of games I've run nobody really mentioned it. In a lot of ways I'd be happy to give an Immune person a second spot if they're not as interested in the immune story as the not going zombie/at risk of capture.

Grapevine had some moments where Immune was important
Code Blue - Owner of "Latents for Less".  We're still human.  We still need care.

www.guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
The Guides to the Megaverse(tm) Podcast

One Bounty. Two Crypto

Laughing Penguin

• Taker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 07:47:32 PM »

Maybe nobody mentions it as an Immune, but it certainly comes up during standard play. If anyone outside of the immediate taker group sees the Immune get bit for example... you better have a real good story, a hacked testing kit to back it up, and quick reflexes to dodge the bullet so you have a chance to tell it. It can also easily come into play if they run into Stop Loss, Crusaders, DHQS or volunteer to run in a circus. Any of those will likely result in the Immune being hauled off for sale. In my game, there are also storylines and factions specifically geared to Immunes in the setting, and the one Immune player is often on their guard as a result. They earn the benefit of that spot.

LordSkys

• Moth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 02:01:25 AM »
Resistant-

Hard to Chew...- You must fail a number of infection checks equal to your 1 + highest potential (minimum 2, rounded up, maximum 6) to succumb to the blight. Each successive infection check occurs 5-15 minutes after the previous if trying to resist hot blight, 3-8 hours after if trying to resist cold blight. Succeeding once ends the danger of infection, but not the checks

... A Lot to Swallow: After each infection check, make a Self-Control check against a single threat of your choice of a level equal to the number of infection checks made so far. (Maximum level 4) If you are fighting off hot blight make a single Self-Control check that deals damage to all three threats instead.

You are infectious as if you were latent while fighting off an infection and for an hour afterwards if you are able to fight it off. If you die while fighting off an infection you turn as a latent would.

After many exposures, the psychoactive effects of the blight can be replicated through placebo alone. Only verification via blood test can stop the infection checks (and subsequent Self-Control checks) until the blight fades.

While some may be interested in your resistance to the blight, you are not intrinsically worth something like the Immune. This gives you much more autonomy, if you can convince them you aren't immune.

Notes
You can gain the Resistant tough spot after making your character by rolling a total of 10 when adding the red and black die of your infection checks together. (Except if both the black and red are five, then you become a latent as normal). You may not become immune or latent if you are resistant, unless you use suppressin to become Latent.

----------------------------------

With this version, the point of the self control checks are from powerful effects the blight can have on the mind of even those that are resistant.

It is up to Markets to make sure the resistant player is kept on their seat about possibly succumbing to infection. It isn't until the black fades from your veins and spittle that you are safe from the blight, and eventually that happens.

I also wrote this without looking at the infection rules, so this may completely contradict everything to a point of serious rewriting.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:06:41 AM by LordSkys »